FP2 random reboots - see #rebootsguide for help

So I have 4G switched off, SIM in slot 1 and had 4 or so reboots today. With this problem, the other annoying bugs and the rather short battery life I am disappointed and seriously considering the FP2. :frowning: This is looks more like a beta than a proper product.

1 Like

On my devices, 4G cause no issues and no reboots. Reboots happens only when i reach 100% battery when it charge (but not directly at 100%, most when i let the phone connected to power source longer).

1 Like

My FP2 has been rebooting randomly (maybe it happens more often when it’s in charging), it’s not very frequent for me but it’s still annoying because after the reboots, the phone doesn’t often boot correctly but it gets stuck on the grey “LOADING…” screen, so I have to force shutdown it by holding the power button (which usually just causes another reboot) and try again to boot into Android. Sometimes I have to reboot it two, three times after a ‘random reboot’ to correctly get to the ‘enter your pin’ screen and boot into Android.

2 Likes

Hi, my FP was having some reboots a day as some of you have reported and I could not find a solution. I have not installed any new apps in the past days and I actually have very few, always the same since the beginning. Currently it is much worse. When connected to the charger, I’ve got an endless loop of reboots, the display shows the fairphone logo for a second and then tries to restart itself without been able to do it. When the charger is not connected the FP “tries” also several times to restart itself and I can use it for very few time. I had to remove my SIM card and put it in an old phone, cause I have to be available for work and can not go on like this. Even without SIM, it keeps happening.

1 Like

The endless loop of reboots is what I’m experiencing too, I wonder what steps should be taken before contacting support (e.g dumping and analysing logs, completely resetting the phone…).

@snp, @fair: I don’t think endless boot loops are covered by the issue reported here. Did you by any chance enable quickboot mode? If so go here:

If not then there is something bigger wrong with your phones, so contact support asap.

1 Like

Another random reboot has just happened (the phone booted normally into Android afterwards, no loop this time), it was charging and at 100%. The only enabled options in ‘developer options’ are ‘USB Debug’ and ‘Verify apps over USB’. As per your suggestion @paulakreuzer I’m contacting support, thanks.

1 Like

Second reboot in first 24 hours of use for me.

Contacting support…

Hi @all,

I am having the same issues since using a second sim and working hard with the situation… Currently my data sim with 4G is in slot 2. I will on first step reduce speed and on second change slots.

I will post results asap.

Ronny

1 Like

I’m also experiencing this:

• Frequency: once a week or less
  • Language change: yes
  • 3G/4G/Wifi enabled: mostly just Wifi

I think i have no random reboots anymore since i had to make a hard reset.

(I had to do that after activating quickboot without succes)

Be carefull a hard reset ERASE ALL DATA on your phone…

It could be interesting if other people can confirm that.

EDIT : i’m still experiencing some “random” reboots occasionally. More often when i’m charging the phone, close to 100%, but not only.

1 Like

I didn’t have quickboot activated. After the battery was empty, the endless reboots stopped. I charged the telephone, and now it seems to work. However I’m still having the “usual” random reboots. I’m going to perform a hard reset right now. I’ll keep you informed.

1 Like

I have had 1 reeboot a day for 3 days on my FP2 with no language changes or common causes before the phone restarted - first time phone was in standby, second time I was on Twitter and 3rd time Spotify was working.

I am wondering if it is a sim card issue as someone mentioned. For the first 4 days I had a single EE sim card in and had no reboots but for the passed 4.5 days I have had a nano sim card with adaptor in slot 1 and my EE sim card in slot 2 and that’s when I noticed reboots. I’m going to remove my 2nd slot sim and see if there’s any changes. Will let u know what happens

1 Like

So my FP2 just rebooted for the 4th time in 3 days…

This time I was just scrolling through these forums… WiFi was on, Spotify was not playing, I have only one nano sim card in slot 1 now and 4g was off but had been turned on for about 10min a little earlier (not sure that’s causing the problem though). The FP2 didn’t over heat or freeze while it restarted.

The most recent apps I installed were subway surfer and Samsung s6 launcher. Any suggestions would be welcome :slight_smile:

P.s other issues that could be related maybe?? : When scrolling in chrome, I sometimes get some weird jittery pixelation on the bottom half of screen. Screen flickers in low brightness.

If this continues I think I will have to contact support

Thanks!

1 Like

I am getting them too since about three or four days, one to three per day randomly while using the phone but also at night and during charging. I wake up and the phone has rebooted and asks for the pin-code. So I was not available for calls and more importantly I don’t think the alarmclock can be trusted. That bothers me a lot because I need this function, especially when not home!

1 Like

As promised my feedback regarding the reboots.
Since swapping the 4G connection to slot 1 and leaving slot 2 for phone purposes with O2 (as far as I know, O2 has not yet 4G voice connections for their prepaid customers in Germany), I had no reboots at all.
I have not made any settings regarding rooting or quickboot or whatever.
Maybe that helps.

2 Likes

I seem to be suffering the same problem, in that it is call-related and appears to be specifically since I turned on the second sim while I am overseas, so it’s not technically a ‘roaming’ sim, it’s local to the country I am in now (Italy - am normally based in UK)

I tried the hard reset today and also cleaned the cache. After reinstalling I had a reboot. So I guess I’ll return the phone now. Nothing seems to help concerning this problem :frowning: .

Hi all, I have received my new fp2 couple of days ago. Especially when using the chrome or google apps and whatsapp the touchscreen freezes and the phone reboots. This happens about 15-20 times as day. Reading the above comments I figured more people are experiencing similar problems with their fp2. Does anyone know whether this is a software or hardware problem? And any known solutions yet? Thanks in advance :slight_smile:
P.s. i haven’t contacted fairphone yet; i read that some people returned their phone. Hope this won’t be necesarry…

1 Like

Its unusual for it to happen this often, when mine was doing it, it was because the SIM was a bit loose. Did you get a new SIM?