FP2 random reboots - see #rebootsguide for help

So with version 1.2.8 I am still having random reboot every 1, 2 or 3 days.

I also just had a reboot with 1.2.8 installed, phone was charging overnight.

After I made the uptdate I was very happy about some issues that had been fixed. But my reboots are still there. Maybe 3 instead of 5 a day. But they are still there.
I’m not amused! :expressionless: I waited over 3 month for the update. I spent a huge amount of money in a great idea. I don’t need the latest technology. I want to support fair ressource mining and fair working conditions. I know that Fairphone is not a big comany like Samsung or so. And they have limited human ressources.
But nevertheless I can expect that a phone that works! Minor bugs are okay. I don’t matter about a LED which doesn’t flash in more than one color and other little peculiar things.
But I don’t want to live with a phone that has instant reboots without a seeming reason.

How long do I have to wait for the next update? One month? Two? Three? Four?

Maybe I should try the workaround steps now AFTER I installed the new 1.2.8 update. But I’m not confident if this helps.

It’s sad… :cry:

2 Likes

After several months of usage without any random and self-initiated reboots, I experienced the first ones after having changed my mobile contract and with it my second SIM card last week.

For the record, I use the FP OSOS, which means that I could not upgrade the OS for now - so no idea about the update. I did not exchange the SIM in my first slot and it was always set to 2G only. With my very old second SIM (at least 7 years old, also set to 2G since I did not have any mobile plan anyway), I never ever experienced any non-desired reboots since I got my FP2 just before New Year.
After exchanging my SIM, I still did not have any reboot - retrospectively seen - up to when I changed its setting to 4G preferred etc. Then, I experienced up to 15 completely random reboots per day (maybe more if I had always monitored) while using and while not using the phone.

So, my first idea was that the SIM was the culprit since I never experienced any such reboots before changing the SIM. I was a little reluctant to go and change it, however, since it was a brand new one and since my provider (O2 Germany) charges 25 € for an exchange…

Next, I read this whole thread - took me some time :wink: - and read that some people had less problems with 4G disabled.
Therefore, since yesterday afternoon I changed the setting for my second SIM to 3G (preferred)/2G - and up to now I did not experience any more reboots (with and without WiFi, during use or in stand-by) and I am kind of confident that it will stay like this. [I will update in case this is not the case.]

So, to my eyes, at least for me, the culprit clearly is the 4G setting, even though I can’t verify it with my old SIM because it has been deactivated after the exchange.
I don’t know either if this has to do with software or hardware but it may give a hint to the developers (@keesj, @borjan) I hope.
Further, I am not sure if this problem has been amended by the update as I pointed out before, I will check once the FP OSOS is officially released - presumably with the update :wink: Hope this will be soon.

P.S.: It took me some time to find the location of the setting again, so for all those who do not know either: You need to go to Settings -> Data usage -> 3 dots in the upper right corner -> Mobile networks -> Preferred network type.

Edit: Update: I did not experience any random unwanted reboots since my original post up to now (9 days) and do not expect them to reappear. Now, I am about to test the 4G setting with the FP OSOS beta.

Edit 2: No random reboots any more in 4G setting with the new FP Open OS.

2 Likes

Well, I was really hoping the issue would be solved after the OS update but that is unfortunately not the case. (But the reboots are faster now, haha, YESSSS! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:) I’m still only using one (new) SIM card. I’ve contacted support now and until they answer I’ll try the hard reset sigh
Anyway, I still love this phone so I won’t give up.

A post was merged into an existing topic: Endless boot process after I turned on “QuickBoot”

Same thing, multiple reboots each day.
Since the begining (in february I guess) I do not use it with a SIM card. The reboots started the first day that I used it. The first day after the last update, no reboot, but the next day, reboots have reappeared at the same rate as at the begining.

Same here, it Seems to be Google maps, it wil reboot always after using mapsnavigator more than 15 min. Sometimes it keeps on rebooting and I cannot do anything.

Customer service advised on installing an other navigator , but trying the first one the phone rebooted immidiately after planning my first trip.

Rebooting while using the phone and other apps seems more rare after the update .

Bult I try to avoid low battery, as my phone starts flickering and rebooting as soon as I start charging

First reboot experienced after update…and then a second… :worried: :confused: What was weird was that one time my phone booted on an “android” screen and not a “fairphone” screen… It got stuck, had to take the battery out to correct the problem… :astonished:

As I said before I’m this close to changing phones again… too many problems…

After FP1 I decided to give it a chance and buy the FP2. Got it three weeks ago. It reboots randomly several times a week (using chrome, games, gmail, maps, news apps etc.).
There are two new SIM cards and a new SD card in the phone. I can’t use the phone without it.
I spent 500€ for the bloody thing and I expect it to do what it needs to do. I hope they fix this soon.

I have random resets as well, once or twice per day. Though I have noticed that it seems to reset when it finishes to charge.

I dont know if it is germane to this topic, but my screen freezes, sometimes a lot after a couple of manipulations and to work around the screen needs to be turned on and then off again.

Hello!

After a long time of reading I’ve finaly gone through this whole thread (Phew) and so far I’ve tried everything that has been suggested in here (except for the latest “turn WiFi off” which I’m trying right now". So far I still get these random reboots (I’ve had my phone for 2 weeks now and get the reboots daily) and I’m really hoping for a fix soon. I’m a big fan of what Fairphone is doing in this industry, but like everyone else I want a functional phone. I’ve tried without a SIM-card, putting SIM-card in 1 slot and 2 slot, turning down to 3G from 4G.

So far, using 3G instead of 4G have lowered the numbers of reboots (now mainly reboots during usage) but it still happen way to often. Really looking forward to see if anyone else will find something really helpful or if there comes a fix for it!

1 Like

One short question to the FairPhone Developers: I’m fine with waiting until you come up with a solution, I know it takes a lot of time to figure out these kinds of bugs.

However, I’m afraid that when I wait too long, I will not be able to return my phone on warranty anymore, in case it is (after all) some kind of hardware defect. I saw some people saying they returned the phone and got a new one, and would not want to loose that option by being nice and “waiting” for a solution to be developed by you.

Could you comment on this? Thanks…

1 Like

Please note that this is mainly a community forum and that FP staff not reads every thread.
If you want to get an official statement you’ll have to contact support.
That said, warranty on the FP2 is 2 years.

1 Like

I’ve been searching the internet and I just found that the G-mail app can be one of the sources to the problem. Gonna try it out as soon as I can cross WiFi off the list. Has anyone tried removing the G-mail app?

I don’t know if it is related, but deactivating gmail and other google apps was the first thing I did after receiving my phone. I never had any reboots.

What I understood is that there seem to be different causes for the reboots that some use experience, and some cases may be app related.

Anyhow, I would recommend to always keep the OS updated since the devs are trying to resolve the reboot issues.

1 Like

Are these reboots reduced by the update 1.3.0?

Google maps seems to be the main culprit with me as well. sometime it reboots seconds after starting to follow a route.

Also getting the screen freeze problem - usually when connected to the charger. Need to tur screen off and back on again t o unfreeze. That’s annoying but I can live with it. The reboots are a real PITA though.

For me the reboots happen “mainly” when I use the GPS, be it with google maps or OsmAnd. It has also became more frequent since the update. (5 to 7 times on 3 hours drives). Unmounting the SD card didn’t change anything.

I also have screen freeze when charging (among many other bugs). I then need to unplug, turn the screen OFF and ON again, then it works. This is really annoying as it happens very often when I need to turn my alarm clock OFF in the morning.

1 Like

Using sim1 for switzerland and sim2 for Germany. Reboots only happen when sim2 is set as default for mobile data. No matter if 2,3 or 4g. Does anyone think it would be likely that a new sim2 would help? Since the card is basically working fine I mean…