FP2 random reboots - see #rebootsguide for help

After "1 month, 3 days: 3 reboots.

After the last reboot my Fairphone told me that the Fairphone Launcher had stopped working. Perhaps the launcher is the culprit that triggers the reboots?

1 Like

Installing another launcher would be quick test. As far as I know there are no official debugging procedures posted here in this forum. A kernel log/adb catlog of such a reboot would be nice.

1 Like

I have been using my new Fairphone 2 for 3 days.
The phone has rebooted randomly 10 or 15 times per day. Not every time, but in many cases I have seen the screen flickering before a reboot.

I have made a hard reset. Let’s see what happens.
I will use my old phone until the problem is solved, so I am a bit disappointed…

1 Like

Next step on my investigations :slight_smile:

And greetings from Roma! I tried the following:

Switch data to 3g - - > great reduction of force closees
Let go phone off one time due to empty battery + enable roaming for both sim cards - - > no crash in three days so far :raised_hands:

I will investigate further.

1 Like

Hi keesj, just wondering - will the potential fix for random reboots be part of the update that will result from RC 1.2.6? Relly hope to see this problem fixed soon, I love my Fairphone, but this issue is really frustrating…

2 Likes

@ilja_v the random reboot issue is THE issue we are currently working on and is delaying the release since what now feels forever.

The fixes we introduced in 1.2.6 are a huge improvement but we also have had a negative impact for some users.With the yet unreleased 1.2.8 version things should be better (for everybody) but getting proof we are not affecting yet unaffected users is a difficult task.

8 Likes

Thank you for your work! I think it’s better to wait a little longer but have a good and stable update with many fixes.
Btw: Could you keep us updated about the work- and testing-progress anywhere??

2 Likes

This could be related to SIM cards people use.

I wonder if it gives some clarity if we knew what provider people are on…

Maybe people who have random reboot issues could post which provider they are using…

Just out of interest: what is the main cause of this issue?

1 Like

Hi all,

I’ve had my Fairphone 2 for almost a month now- and it’s been great apart from an issue with frequent crashes

This usually happens soon after opening an app- the screen will suddenly freeze then a couple of seconds later the device will crash and reboot

This is getting quite annoying- does anyone know if this is a known issue and if so, is there any software updates in the pipeline to address this?

Thanks in advance!

Richard

2 Likes

I moved your topic here, because I think it’s the same problem. Maybe you’ll find a workaround in the first post. Anyway, at least some causes for this (these) bug(s) will be fixed in the next update.

Hi, a short update to my fairphone status:
I got an answer from the support team. They offered me a replacement fairphone which I received this week. This one seems to be working fine, no reboots till now (two days in use). @Rootboi I Still use the same SIM card and provider.

4 Likes

Hi,
I was also offered a replacement.
The first day I have experienced 2 reboots…

I managed to narrow down the problem in my case. It would be nice if any moderator can comment on this.

1. If I don’t have access to a W-Lan, then the reboots are massively reduced.
  2. If I don’t have access to the Internet at all (no W-Lan and no mobile data connection) there are practically no reboots at all. I have tested 5 consecutive days without a single reboot.
  3. When I connect to a W-Lan, the phone reboots in an apparently random and unpredictable manner. This is the worst case, it makes the phone practically unusable. UPDATE: Apart from the random, unpredictable starts, I seem to always get a reboot immediately after I connect to a W-Lan and immediately after I disconnect from it (either by moving away from the hotspot or from switching off Wifi on the phone).
  4. When I use mobile data and I am not connected to a W-Lan, then I still have some reboots, but they are far less frequent than in the W-Lan case.

I am using the Gmail app, just in case there are known issues with it. UPDATE: I disabled Gmail and tried using an alternative. It makes no difference.

So, does this pattern match with any already known problems? What would be best in my case, wait for the update or look for a replacement (its already my second phone, after a first replacement for another issue).

2 Likes

+1. All reboots of my phone so far occured while connected to a WLAN.

I now disabled the 5 GHz band on my FP2 and look if I will get any reboots. Edit: Didn’t work, got still a reboot and slowed down the connecting procedure.

Yes another screwed unhappy user here as well. Also the screen keeps locking up and doing random things. I don’t want to be funny but haven’t the developers ever heard of fit for purpose. These things are mass produced identically to a design so obviously the basic design is flawed once again I’m sick of being ripped off by these clowns who think that it’s okay to dump anything on the market providing they claim it fair to everyone. Fair phone fair to everyone except the user. I’ve not read the entire thread I can’t even get to the bottom of the entire thread it is so long because of the seats so many people have had problems. So how do I fix it? And no removing cards putting cards in taking batteries out putting batteries in turning it off Tony on are not valid answers this is either a properly designed piece of equipment with valid fixes or is a piece of shit with me standing back and we all need refunds. It also very difficult to get the cover on and off so I’m sorry but removing and inserting things at random is not going to happen.

1 Like

In the flight mode there are no reboots at all for me. I can hardly see this as a workaround, though :disappointed:

2 Likes

Like sparkylabs I’m fed up with having a phone that has randomly rebooted from the start (over 6 weeks now). I have sent 2 emails, with automated replies promising further info within 8 days. Nothing happened. I’ve tried everything in the workaround to no avail. Surely Fairphone could get in touch and even offer me a replacement? I see at least one other person has been offered that.

1 Like

Hi @withat, I made good experiences with calling the support team by phone after I have opened a ticket. They immediately sent me the information how to turn the FP2 in to the repair center to get it exchanged or repaired.

2 Likes