FP2 random reboots - see #rebootsguide for help

Fortunately, my old phone (a half broken Samsung Galaxy S3) used to reboot about as often as my new FP2…

So overall still a big improvement for me (same number of reboots, but it reboots much faster :stuck_out_tongue:)

I’ve very seldom had this reboot issue - till now
Starting today, every time someone trys to call me, the FP2 reboots. This behavior is reproducable. I’m not able to get calls anymore.
Does someone else face this strange behaviour?

I think that’s my problem… When using software with a huge memory extension like Google Maps… or something else.

Arghhh! This is my second FP2… and here we go again… Random reboots in the middle of me writing a (long) message which was not saved… and the crazy screen!!! It’s tiring…and frustrating…:sweat:

2 Likes

OK I’m this close to changing phones… When I got my FP1 I got a working phone! apart from the trouble re-installing GAPPs after every update, it worked!

Now with the FP2 I have bug after bug, I can’t rely on it for anything… just know it decided to get completely blocked on a black screen. Had to take the battery out and now it’s updating every apk…

This is no good, this is no good at all! :worried: sick and tired… I just want a phone that works!!!

Maybe you could be interested join the beta test ?

1 Like

I sent an email, waiting for the answer…

2 Likes

Hi All, may be I’ve a solution for a few of you FP2 users. As stated above, my FP2 was no longer able to get phone calls (of course i could make call, but not receive). Every time someone tried to call me the FP2 rebooted.
After thinking what has changed I thought it has to do with the fact, that I changed the ringtone. The location of the new ringtone was at sdcard1/Ringtones
I then moved it to the proimary sdcard (sdcard/Ringtones) and - luckily - all works well again.
Probably the one or other faces the same behaviour and changed the location to the second sdcard (sdcard1).
Hope this will help, at least for a few users.

4 Likes

This brings back an old memory: I once had huge issues with my old phone rebooting randomly for no apparent reason. When I managed to take logs of one reboot (it was rooted so I could use the Syslog app, see https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tortel.syslog) I found that it had trouble accessing my SD card. I changed the card and never had trouble with reboots anymore. So, can you guys find anything in common in whether you use an SD card and/or which brand/model? I haven’t had reboot problems, but I don’t have an SD card installed either.

1 Like

Mine just did the same. I was adding a contact and then tried calling that contact when it froze. Then the grey screen and the world ‘loading’. I had to take the battery out and then replace to restart android. Currently waiting as it optimizes apps

I have had the random reboots pretty much since day one. I don’t have a second sd card installed nor do I have a second sim card, so fix listed in the software issue report likely doesn’t cover my situation. At first it didn’t bother me so much because it was only one time a day, but when i use the phone more heavily, the reboots get more frequent. Once I had three reboots in the span of one hour.

The real deal breaker for me are the reboots when I am not at my phone. The phone has rebooted itself once overnight, and once when I had it on my desk and hadn’t noticed. In both instances the phone disconnected from the mobile network and I was effectively unreachable for several hours, without even noticing it. I have written an email to support, waiting to see how they respond.

I only had a few reboots that stopped completely when I switched 4G off. But in order to be connected even if the phone reboots, I disabled the SIM PIN, so it connects automatically again without me doing anything, and set a general PIN for the phone instead. Not a solution, but a workaround…

1 Like

I also have this suspicion. The reboots seem to occur more frequently at times or at locations when my WiFi signal drops off and a 4G connection is initiated. This is just a suspicion though, I have not been able to reliably reproduce circumstances leading to a reboot. I will turn off 4G and see if things get more stable, although this is not something I would ok with disabling for the lifetime of the phone.

I am not sure I am comfortable with deactivating the SIM pin. I use two factor authentication extensively and an open SIM kind of defeats a portion of the added security, not to mention the amount of trouble a thief could cause with an open SIM.

1 Like

My provider only offers inoficial 4G with reduced speed, so for me there’s hardly any difference between it and 3G/HDSPA. I guess that at least the 4G related reboots will be fixed with an update…

1 Like

A post was merged into an existing topic: (More or less) common issues with the FP2

Just did what you suggested… and called myself from another phone.

Guess what? instant reboot without any ringing and no record whatoever that anyone called me!!!

:triumph: OK this is really not acceptable!!! this is a PHONE for crying out loud… the first thing it should be able to do is make and receive phone calls…!!!

Same behaviour here, especially annoying during navigation with OsmAnd (3 times during one hour). I don’t have many reboots normally, but during navigation my phone is connected for charging and obviously always on.

Rooted FP2 with encrypted data partition, no additional SDcard, only one SIMCard in slot1 with 4G turned off.

1 Like

Sorry i didn’t follow the whole discussion, but did you try to order a new SIM card?
Some people reported that crashes were connected to an old SIM.

1 Like

SIM is new, SDcard is new…:frowning: and I’m fed up…

2 Likes

When it crashes with incoming calls, did xou already check this: FP2 random reboots - see #rebootsguide for help

1 Like