FP2 random reboots - see #rebootsguide for help

There’s an indication for the next major release coming to your phone soon: Fairphone Open OS roadmap discussion

2 Likes

Hey @alexisju,

As mentioned above, we are aware of the problem and are investigating this.

Sadly enough there currently is no extra information any of us could give you.

1 Like

For me it feels like I have less reboots since I turned off 4G.
Reboots are still happening when I turn on/off wireless lan and randomly…

I realy would Fairphone like to react in some way - they didn’t even anser my Support request…

And by the way the screen is still doing weird things…

1 Like

Hello @Douwe, thank you for your answser!

I read with attention the commentKees wrote. It’s encouraging to know Fairphone is aware of this issue and work hard to provide a fix.

However, sorry, but this does not exempt you from then to communicate officialy.

To be clear :

• How many devices are concerned? 10% 50% 100% ? How Fairphone evaluate the situation?
  • Why some devices doesn’t not have any problem ?
  • Why users shouldnt not consider this issue as manufacturing defect and require replacement?
  • If it is and hardware issue, why do you simply don’t purpose us to exchange devices ?

@root Thank you for your answer… but i’m not really “happy” to read that they (only) “plan to start” release candidate and still waiting test results. Sure it is nice to hear they consider this issue with attention but i just want to know when my 525€ smartphone will be reliable to use. And i’m not the only one.

1 Like

Hey @alexisju, I can repeat again; we are investigating this. The idea of investigation is to get answers to your questions. While we are still in the process of investigation, we do not have these answers. Once the investigation is done, we’ll have answers. When we have answers we will communicate them to all who it may concern.

1 Like

A post was merged into an existing topic: Should FP announce early and sometimes get it wrong, or better not announce at all?

Have the same issue. Reboots 2-4 times a day, first the screen freezes, after a few second there is a reboot.

Same here. I’ve had my FP2 for 1 week and 2 days and it crashes randomly at least once per day. I haven’t given it much thought, really, but it’d be horrible if I missed my wake-up alarm and was late for work because of that issue.
Hopefully, this can be fixed soon. :frowning:

1 Like

OK, next step on my investigation:

1th step: 4G turned on in slot 2: lots of crashes…
2nd step: 4G downgraded to 3G about 1 crash a day…
3rd step: changed sim, so that 4G is in slot one: massiv crashes, so immediatly changed sims back
4th step: back to step 2 as it workes quite ok.

conclusions:

• my reboots are common as yours; first the screen freezes for seconds, than reboot
  • reboots do not depend on usage, currently mostly overnight…
  • 4G is a big factor!!! Strong reduction if 4G is turned off…
  • decision which sim is used for which slot is a big factor too!

Regards, Ronny

1 Like

Hi everybody,
I have my FP2 for more than a month now. Until yesterday I had not experienced any random reboot. However, after having disassembled my phone - only removed the screen - twice yesterday, it has rebooted three times so far. Maybe, this issue is related to disassembling the phone?! Perhaps, the screen’s contacts are not perfectly connected to my phone’s connector. I will disassemble the screen later today and will report if that changes anything.
Has anyone else disassembled his/ her phone prior to experiencing the reboots? Has anyone experienced the issue without ever having disassembled it, i.e., using a straight-from-the-factory FP2?
Note: I disassembled my FP2’s screen many times before. Just want to share my thoughts as this would explain the issue’s occurence under random circumstances.

1 Like

Never disassembled mine, it’s a straight-from-the-factory one .

For me the reboots also went down to about one a day after disabling 4G. (Which is still annoying, but bearable.) It doesn’t matter in which slot I put the sim though, it’s pretty much the same.

Mine only crashed once at night, but the alarm still went off in the morning, so that doesn’t seem to be a problem! :slightly_smiling:

2 Likes

Thats a relief, thanks a lot :slight_smile:

1 Like

While i don’t know how many devices are concerned, mine just works fine. Only 1 reboot in over 2 months. So apparently not all phones are concerned.

1 Like

As long as you don’t encrypt the data partition. If you do, it will need you to enter your encryption password to know that the alarm clock is set.

Same problem over here, got the phone 3 days ago, 3 random reboots (jet not 15 times)…opened a ticket. :hushed:
Had almost given away my old phone, maybe i should keep it till the fairphone is ready as a daily driver.

1 Like

Just try first to use a third Party lock screen… There is a known bug in the changing colours oft the lock screen plus the power saving in processor. For me, after doing so, I had the first nicht without a reboot…
It Amy not solve all the causes, but the once wäre it reboots without any user interaction…

1 Like

Has this been listed as a bug? I hadn’t seen it anywhere. The overnight reboots are annoying but I’d prefer they fixed the random ones that occur when you are interacting with the phone.

What bug are you talking about? Did I miss something?
Or are you referring to the simple fact that the colors of the lock screen change? This is default behavior and intended, as it shows the stage of battery discharge.

1 Like