FP2 random reboots - see #rebootsguide for help

The situations are the same as yours:

• Tonight I was waked 2 times by the sound the phone makes when waiting to input the decryption code / sim unlock. I am however glad it makes this sound, else I would have missed my alarm clock.
  • Already had a reboot on my desk today (and it’s only 10:48 yet)

I use 2 sims:
1 with 4G in slot1
1 only calls/texts in slot2
I have a 32gb Sandisk ultra micro SD card installed.
I’ve also encrypted my phone.

As not everybody is experiencing these problems, is it smart to contact FP and inform and open a support case already? There are poeple in this thread that got their phone exchanged.

1 Like

Maybe it’s related to encryption?

I had two reboots so far (in 6 weeks), so that’s no problem for me. (one of them was during very heavy cpu load, one during doing “nothing” ;))

• SIM1: SMS/Calls
  • SIM2: 4G
  • 64 GB SanDisk MicroSD
  • not encrypted
1 Like

mine wasn’t any better either encrypted or not.

1 Like

Same for me: No encryption, lots of crashes…

Out of curiosity - is anyone runing the OpenSource version of FPOS experiencing the reboots?

5 Likes

I have the same issues. The Fairphone 2 reboots several times a day -> often 5 or 6 times in a row (i hardly can do more than entering the PINs for my two SIM Cards).
I use two SIMs (both Calls) and no MicroSD. No encryption.
Could it be a problem with Bluetooth maybe? I also have the problems with playing music/podcasts via Bluetooth on my car radio -> ever 2 secondes there is a short interruption.

1 Like

Hi all, I received my fairphone 2 a few days ago, and mine can also reboot several times a day. I don’t know exactly how many, as I don’t spend my all day watching it.
I use 2 SIM card, only one for data. I hope a fix will be provided soon by OTA upgrade.
Apart from that, I love my fairphone 2

Thx

1 Like

Good question, is the “Fairphone FP2-gms36 1.1.7” option in the updater the version you are refferring to (probably this is the vanilla version of Android without Fairphone’s additions like FairphoneOS and the privacy stuff?)?

I am not able to test is as I use the FP2 as my primary phone, but I hope someone has the chance to test this.

Fairphone OS 1.1.7 is the same as 1.0.

It will be cool if Fairphone release nighly builds* to enhance community dynamic, have more testers and fixes to announce…

*nightlies are not destined to final users but dev and avanced users could try it to help to debug FPOS.

3 Likes

Hello community,

I really love the new fairphone but I have one major problem. It crashes all the time! About 10 times a day. It crashes in all kinds of apps (SMS, Steam, Twitch, Youtube, Music Player) and restarts itself then. I have not modified the OS in any way.

What could be the problem here? Do other people have this issue too?

Thanks for any advice in advance :slight_smile:

You not alone! But all FP2 doesn’t have this issue. We don’t have chance!

Fairphone is avare of this issue and works to resolve it.

For now, we can do nothing. There is not tips or workaround.

BUT maybe it is time Fairphone communicate officaly about this big issue ? @Douwe

There is soon 3 months this thread is open and users bear it in silence, without compensation, explanation… neither solution.

3 Likes

Not at all!

Do you have an idea of how many are impacted?

How you can say that? I read (here on an facebook) a lot of people have this kind of trouble.
They don’t open tickets, they just wait an update. Maybe even Fairphone doesn’t know.

Fairphone didn’t send any email recognizing this problem and asking to people with this issue to manifest them. They didn’t mention neither if only specific devices are concerned (ie. all devices maked a particular week, with serial numbers between w and y).

If only a few devices were concerned, it would not be a problem, it would be simple to replace some FP2.
But we can unfortunately fear that the problem affects a lot of people. No?

Because if it is an hardware issue, we just have to activate warranty or ask refund?

It is why Fairphone need to communicate and be transparent to respect users.

Now.

There’s an indication for the next major release coming to your phone soon: Fairphone Open OS roadmap discussion

2 Likes

Hey @alexisju,

As mentioned above, we are aware of the problem and are investigating this.

Sadly enough there currently is no extra information any of us could give you.

1 Like

For me it feels like I have less reboots since I turned off 4G.
Reboots are still happening when I turn on/off wireless lan and randomly…

I realy would Fairphone like to react in some way - they didn’t even anser my Support request…

And by the way the screen is still doing weird things…

1 Like

Hello @Douwe, thank you for your answser!

I read with attention the commentKees wrote. It’s encouraging to know Fairphone is aware of this issue and work hard to provide a fix.

However, sorry, but this does not exempt you from then to communicate officialy.

To be clear :

• How many devices are concerned? 10% 50% 100% ? How Fairphone evaluate the situation?
  • Why some devices doesn’t not have any problem ?
  • Why users shouldnt not consider this issue as manufacturing defect and require replacement?
  • If it is and hardware issue, why do you simply don’t purpose us to exchange devices ?

@root Thank you for your answer… but i’m not really “happy” to read that they (only) “plan to start” release candidate and still waiting test results. Sure it is nice to hear they consider this issue with attention but i just want to know when my 525€ smartphone will be reliable to use. And i’m not the only one.

1 Like

Hey @alexisju, I can repeat again; we are investigating this. The idea of investigation is to get answers to your questions. While we are still in the process of investigation, we do not have these answers. Once the investigation is done, we’ll have answers. When we have answers we will communicate them to all who it may concern.

1 Like

A post was merged into an existing topic: Should FP announce early and sometimes get it wrong, or better not announce at all?