FP2 - Pictures Gallery

That’s really queer what’s going on over there in Asia. As always - they simply do it!. :star_struck:
Very remarkable scenes. Maybe every time a brain flash for you to return back to classical Europe.

2 Likes

I just passed by recently and did the same panorama with the new camera module to compare.

Here is the result.

FP2 new camera module. Bimostitch panorama. No edit.

Honnestly, I don’t think the difference is that obvious. Sometimes I wonder if it was worth the upgrade. The old camera module was already doing a good job, but indeed nothing compared to the Leica lences inside the Huawei for example.
Would be great to have a real camera update with something really competitive.

4 Likes

Seems so when comparing both images next to each other.
Thanks for your remembrance btw. :wink:
Maybe the difference would be more obvious when capturing a scene by daylight which is quite real for my Lumix Leica camera. It has no background censor illumination which makes it difficult when taking night shots.

To be honest, I see quite a lot of difference between the pictures, though it is a bit hard to compare because you weren’t standing at exact the same pot. Differences I see:

• The old camera is strugling with the light and choosing a log shutter time, this results in motion unsharpness in severel places in the picture. I can’t see any of that with the new camera.
  • Probably connected to the light-struggle of the old camera: it seems to have chosen a quite big diaphragm, resulting in a limited depth of field. The new camera performs much better there.
  • The new camera shows much more details (magnify and compare the bricks in the square for example, certainly those further away)
  • The new camera handles contrasts much better. On the old camera everything turns a bit into grey, while the new one shows black and light.
  • The new camera displays much more vivid colors.

In matter of fact, I think the difference is quite spectacular, I would not consider publishing the picture taken with the old camera, but I would consider the one taken with the new camera. In my opinion these pictures are a nice showcase for the camera upgrade!

And yes… you can always go better (I would not even consider comparing these pictures to the ones from my semi-professional kit), but the upgraded camera does surprisingly well for a phone camera.

6 Likes

Thanks for such a professional feedback !

FP2, old camera, unedited

9 Likes

New module, unedited, taken on LOS 15.1 with OpenCamera

8 Likes

Springtime in the botanical gardens!

New camera module, FPOOS 19.02.1, Open Camera. All are unedited, though the ones ending in _HDR were made using Open Camera’s HDR mode, which is kinda sorta like editing.

10 Likes

It’s been a while since I posted here. In spring my dad bought me good camera and since I have it I barely take pictures with the Fairphone anymore.
Today there was an occasion where I kind of had to.

This common blue butterfly (Polyommatus icarus) left me no other choice than the cell phone camera - or at least at first I thought so.

All pictures FP2, old Camera module, Lineage OS, Open Camera, no editing except cropping

Now that I’m used to a really good camera I must say the FP2 can’t compare. Especially focusing was difficult.

For comparison here are pics from the camera + editing/filter.

14 Likes

Anyway a nice catch.
How funny, the object you wanting to capture occupies you capture device :smile:

3 Likes

What a great picture!!! Funny and beautiful…
And of course FF camera doesn’t compare to a good camera. Otherwise people wouldn’t buy camera’s anymore i guess:)

2 Likes

Fall colours in the botanical gardens. The darker seasons really push the FP2’s camera to its limit, and it shows - but with some patience it’s still possible to take some lovely pictures.

The following pictures are edited to correct for the effects of seasonal darkness: the first picture of the Ginkgo leaves (made a bit brighter); the picture of the individual Ginkgo leaf (screwed with levels, applied a vignette and added fake shallow depth of field because I got a bit carried away); the picture of the frosty leaves (needed serious colour correction to make it look natural as it was dark, cloudy and early in the morning); the field of leaves (made a tiny bit brighter) and the pink bananas (screwed with levels to get colours to look natural).

7 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Post your snow pictures to show that the five year old FP2 is still going strong!

11 Likes

Also some nice winter pictures with my FP2:

11 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Let’s see if we can’t breathe some new life into this thread - let’s post our FP2 pictures from 2021.

7 Likes

7 Likes