FP2 new USB-C bottom module new batch [SORRY, ordering closed]

I really second this. Unless the cases are really elastic, I would avoid transparent and translucent. Fairphone burned their fingers two or three times with that.

3 Likes

The issue with fairphones cases were that they likely used the wrong material. This material is the same I am already using, the raw material is clear and it has to be dyed to make it opaque.

6 Likes

This is already a very risky, challenging project, I would not add another high risk into it that is totally avoidable without any functional loss, solely for esthetic reasons. Transparent cases have been tried again and again (the FP3 which only had a slightly translucent body and back cover needed an extra bumper to pass drop tests, before Fairphone finally gave up this exercise in self-harm). Have you ever seen a durable transparent smartphone bumper other than on a Fairphone? We are talking about a protective case here, not an internal part like the bottom module that is secured by walls all around it.

Don’t gamble. Please.

I’ll leave it at that color for now, but it really shouldn’t be an issue as it is the same material (and manufacturer) as the grey one, but you are of course right that it would be some risk.

2 Likes

Would it be too complicated to let people choose what they would like? Would be cool if we could choose different colour cases!

Only within a selection, unless you are willing to pay for the filament. If there is enough demand I will just buy a whole roll. The default will be grey and any choice of color is at my discretion and can not be guaranteed.

4 Likes

Amazing work! :smiley: I also do not feel like criticizing or giving suggestions, it is already great to see what you achieved. If possible I would like to choose colour of the case and willing to pay for it. I like the sanded version, it feels like it has good grip.

1 Like

The first modules are done, still need QC and some packaging material but they are ready to roll out pretty soon.

19 Likes

That looks impressive.
I hope you are taking time for yourself in addition to all the work on the bottom modules.

7 Likes

Only within a selection, unless you are willing to pay for the filament. If there is enough demand I will just buy a whole roll.

@Leo_TheCrafter i see at the Webside you linked to, that the PETG Transparent are available with 1100g, 2500g and 10000g (1,75mm and 2,85mm).
The price is 39,00 € for 1,75mm/1100g (up to 279,99 € for 2,85mm/10000g).
How many cases could be printed approximately with 1100g?

The transparent one and the sanded model is my favorite :wink:.
But if they really break quick i need a replacement too, because the original does not fit later one :sweat_smile:

1 Like

With 1100g one could print around 50 cases, losses already taken into account. I have no long term data on the durability, but just from the few I have, the layer adhesion is much better than the older ABS ones. This comes at the cost of some strings and blobs, which is why I pass them through a flame and sand them.

I now have 120 finished modules and about 20 cases that I still need to sand. Just finished assembling them all, took almost 3 hours:

20 Likes

Oh my, impressive! If ever you decide to do another batch, there’s more interest over here :wink: (saw the posts too late).

1 Like

I hope especially the fourth and fifth photo gives you satisfaction. It must be such a rewarding sight.

4 Likes

Actually, one customer jumped ship, would you want to take their place? If so, please remind me in about 7 days.

3 Likes

If anyone else jumps ship, please give me a shout. I just missed my chance to order these from you.

1 Like

How many are you making altogether?
I think the blue color comes really nice, I’d like that

1 Like

I am making 98 cases, so in the next few days I will try a few new colors, but the standard is grey.

1 Like

Wow! Interesting to see them in such detail. I’m looking forward to the delivery!

4 Likes

same for me.
Thanks in advance :slight_smile:

1 Like