Hi Leo,

I would like to order:
1x bottom module
1x case

shipping to Switzerland

Thanks! :slight_smile:

Maybe you have not recognized that …

1 Like

Well, I guess, to make it clear to all new user, that this list is closed, I will close the topic as well and edit the title of this thread.

Feeling sad for all who missed the deadline, but that’s the way it is.

Thx to @Leo_TheCrafter for the effort he puts in this and for his ingenuity developing/doing it in the first place.
:+1:
:grinning:

11 Likes

Here I am again, and I finally have some updates. I always wanted to wait with the updates, but now I feel like sharing my progress.

I have cooperated with the user on the forum to solder the PCBs, here are some images of the PCBs made by him:

The PCBs are made in germany and I only chose high quality components.

I have also printed all the housings for the modules, I just need to assemble them:

I am still printing the cases, PETG is challenging to print sometimes, but so much stronger, maybe I’ll post if I have something to show off.

Seeing those huge quantities of parts is pretty surreal and impressive for me, it is something that I never thought I would be able to do this almost 3 years ago (Jan. 2019) when I sat in my room with a simple multimeter, figuring out how the bottom modules worked and what made them break so often.

No, you can no longer order, everything is already bought for a fixed quantity.

38 Likes

Thank you very much, fantastic, insightful photos! :+1:
This almost feels like browsing an Haute Cuisine cooking book! :smiley:

13 Likes

This really looks amazing and you can be very proud of what you achieved!

10 Likes

I now have cases in 3 versions, which one do you prefer? They are all made out of PETG and very strong. They were printed with a 0.2mm nozzle at a layer height of 120µm:

Sanded:

DCM smoothed:

ABS coated:

In addition to the smoothing, all cases were passed through the flame of a bunsen burner to remove strings.

7 Likes

It’s difficult to say what I think. You have spend so much time and effort in this.
But to me I don’t understand the ABS coated picture. It looks so wobbly, uncomfortable to hold.
Is that really so?
The sanded one looks to me the most pleasant one to hold in your hand.
Can you tell us about your experience of holding it?
And again, this is meant positively.
I would not dare to criticise you after all your efforts.

6 Likes

Great work! The dark cover looks like Eva Gouwens dipped it in a pot at Tony’s Chocolonely… (Just kidding!)

2 Likes

It is wobbly and I would consider it a failed attemp. However I still wanted to show it. It is awkward to hold and not that comfortable. The sanded one is somewhat rough, but not sharp or uncomfortable and the DCM smoothed one is slightly bumpy due to imperfections, but perfectly smooth.

4 Likes

DCM = Dichloromethane - Wikipedia ?
ABS = Acrylonitrile butadiene styrene - Wikipedia ?

5 Likes

Are they all as easy to take off?
I think I like the sanded one best, seems nicer and having a better grip (only “seems” from the photo though of course). Or perhaps the DCM one if the next ones have less imperfections? What would you say about that?

Perhaps consider making a poll?

Edit: clarified a sentence

6 Likes

There are easy to take off in the sense that you don’t have to worry about them breaking, they are tight but not too tight. Just slip a finger nail or pry tool under the edge

4 Likes

I like the polished one optically best

1 Like

I would choose the one most pleasant to touch. In all other aspects, it will become a legendary cult-cover! The high-techs will try to imitate the look and feel :slight_smile:

1 Like

That kinda depends, the smooth one may be a bit slippery if you have dry hands, the sanded one is slightly rough and might be more comfortable

2 Likes

I have already printed 8 cases and it is going strong. Now I want to order some more colors for the cases, especially transparent ones. I will be ordering 50g samples of the most popular colors, what colors would you like to see? I will print one and post it.

Here is the selection of available colors: https://www.3djake.de/filament-muster/petg-filament-fuer-testzwecke

7 Likes

Blue transparent or Blue. Depending on the strength. Thinking of the problems Fairphone had with transparent cases.

5 Likes