FP2: How to use the Dual SIM feature?

Are you sure this is the case? As I understood it 4G is a completely different network technology than 2G, so I would not take this for granted.

I can definitely say that my FP1 is only able to use 1 SIM card when I am in Japan since there is no 2G network in Japan (only the one that is enabled to 3G). Only 3G and 4G networks are available over there (and unfortunately 4G on differents bands than supported on FP2, which was somewhat expected).

Yes, 4g uses a different band, but at the moment there are countries where you canā€™t phone with 4G.
Therefore providers decide to use SingleRAN (Radio Access Network) which is a complete system that is modulair and all contemporary techniques (2G, 3G, 4G, and all intermediate) supports.

Hello,
does anybody know how I can link / connect / chain (verbinden) a single number of my contacts with the SIM card of my choice (SIM1 or SIM2) in the contact app? You have a general choice in the SIM card settings whether you use SIM1, SIM2 or you will be asked every time, but it seems not individually adjustable for each number. Do I need another app then?

Hey guys,
Iā€™m thinking about splitting up my future mobile-phone contract. I then would have one sim with my data traffic and the other one for calls sms etc. Is anyone doing it like that one the Fairphone 2 and is it working properly?

Thanks in advance for sharing your experiences with me :wink:

I use a sim from provider A in sim1 for calls, and a sim from provider B for data.
As you can only grant one sim 3/4G, I think it would be no problem to split them.
The one question I have is what is the advantage of doing so.

@JonathanSchreiber I moved your post here. Btw, you created the same topic twice, I guess that was a mistake.

Oh sorry, that wasnā€™t on purpose.
@Lidwien what does it mean to being just able to grant one sim 3/4G? Isnā€™t that just important for data or am I mistaking?
I think about getting two contracts because I want 3 gb data and you can get that for less than 5 ā‚¬ and than I would just add another contract with some free calling and messaging units.

You canā€™t enable two sims on 3/4G in the Fairphone.
One sim gets 3/4G for data purposes and the other sim gets 2G for calling and sms.

Some providers only offer voice over 3G (so no 2G fallback). This is rare, but does happen. Three UK is (or was, after the merger with Orange?) such an example.

Yes. I do that. I have set SIM1 for calls and SMS (as 2G only) and SIM2 for mobile data (as 4G).

1 Like

Hi all !

I have 2 SIM Cards in my FP2, both have voice.
By default all calls go out from Card1.

But sometimes i want to make calls from Card2. How ?

Thanks / Regards / Roman

Hi @RomanS, Iā€™ve moved your post to this topic as it already provides quite some answers on various aspects of the dual SIM functionality. Perhaps the information from this topic quoted below is what youā€™re looking for? Not sure whether there is a way to temporarily override SIM selection in a more convenient mannerā€¦

1 Like

to complicated! Go to settings/sim-cards, scroll up until you see ā€œCallsā€, click on it and chose: ā€œaskā€.

Spielmops

1 Like

In FP1, there is a sim selector in the notification bar when you open the calling menu. I miss it in the FP2.

4 Likes

But there is a little bug. If you set it to ā€œalways askā€, you have to wait about 5 seconds before selecting the SIM. If you donā€™t wait long enough, youā€™ll only get an error message.

Do you know what the simplest way is to switch between sim cards when making calls and texts? Can you link a sim to a user profile so that it defaults to a certain sim?

Just got my FP2 (first FP I have had) and I love it - but this is really frustrating! I want to be able to use one sim for work and one for personal and link it to different profiles.

Any advice greatly received!!

1 Like

That seems to be :de: not working properlyā€¦

As a side note: By coincidence, since the latest release, Signal supports dual SIM SMS/MMS functionality. Apparently it will indicate which card received an incoming SMS or MMS; and it will let you choose the card when you send one yourself.
Push messages are tied to one of your numbers only, Iā€™m pretty sure.

May you explain the technical reason, why only one SIM gets 3/4G?

Sorry, I donā€™t know the answer.