FP2 - G sensor / Accelerometer is dead

Puhhh, this seems much too radical to me up to now. I am a bit reluctant to again set up my phone from scratch, had too often already to live with a limited FP2 or waiting for replacments or setting it up from zero… I might first talk to the helpdesk…

But thanks for the reply,
Timm

1 Like

Hi,

I was observing the problem for a while when deciding mid December to open a ticket at Support (Request #219970). During the last weeks it became more and more pronounced how limited a ‘Smart Phone’ with all these dead sensors is at all - not too much smartness left. Hence, it is hardly usable and now I am waiting since four weeks for any response from support - which is heavily annoying. What can be done ?

I do have the same problem. FP2 Board 17.12.2015 Accelerometer stopped working. Complete wipe of the phone did not help…

Hi, this is very interesting. Could you trace down the problem when or why it happened to you? Which sensors are affected, can you share a screenshot? I have no clue or idea what this problem may have caused.
Last week I also received the first(!) Response on my support ticket - exchanging and asking for formalities. Still fully open to me what and when solution might be available… Starting to wonder whether I should change to a different phone ?

Regards
Timm

Really erased the OS, not only a “factory reset” which only deletes your data and Apps and leaves the OS as is (with possible problems on the OS side)?
Then you confirmed a hardware failure … that’s unfortunate, but support will handle that …

I went into recovery mode and wiped user data and the cache partition. I did not reflash the OS…

It also started after replacing my broken Display module. However switching back to my original Display didn’t help. I also upgraded my phone to the new camera and I’ll try to switch back to the old one to test if there is any interference with the main module.

Before wiping user data and cache partition the accelerometer did work after a reboot. But only for a while…

Now as you can see in the “sensors” screenshot the accelerometer doesn’t show up any longer. (It did before the wipe!)

1 Like

I have this problem too on a pretty new device (bought on the 17th of January)

Hi garro,
this sounds really severe. You mean your phone is less than two months old and your sensors fail all as well? Can you share a screenshot as well listing or not listing your sensors?
I guess you should contact the support team directly…

@ D2.Tyrael: How, seems that for you at least the gyroscope and the compass/magnetometer seems still be working. Mine are dead as well…

Hi,
my accelerometer is also dead. I wrote to support because of this. Because I also had a defective screen and microphone, I now have a new display and bottom module. The accelerometer is still dead. Sadly support set my request to “solved”, so I will have to reopen the issue. I will inform you, if anything happens.

1 Like

I opened a Ticket about it

1 Like

Got finaly a response from Support (after a few months of waiting), latest note was:

[…] since this is a very unusual problem I will have to contact our (more) technical department to investigate your case further. […]

So, keeping waiting …

1 Like

It does not look very unusual…

1 Like

I got the same response, but since 31 days and nothing has happend. Nothing. I hate it. No proper fotos, no good videos, no youtube. AAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh.

1 Like

Hi Friek, much thanks for your post. Seems to me that this problem appears not to be so very unusual in the meantime. What does the status ‘fairphone angel’ mean - shouldn’t you get a better or direct support?
However, looking to the practical side, can you support any circumstances or ideas why your sensors are dead? Could you share a screenshot listing your sensors? Did you had any issues with the screen before, was it eventually also exchanged?

All the best and regards,
Timm

Hi @TimmWa,

in this topic I linked to my picture of my sensors. Below my post is a picture of a FP with working sensors - quite a few are missing.

The Fairphone Angels Program are community members supporting other community members locally - so we can meet up to repair the FP. We do this without any connection to the Fairphone company (because we are THAT nice. :slight_smile: ). As we are normal community members, we receive the same support as any other community member. This way we can share our experience with our local Fairphoners.

Regards
Friederike

1 Like

I am feeling really sad for your, that you are experiencing such problems and that support - unfortunately like usual - is so unresponsive. Once, when I had opened a ticket it tock 50 days for a reply; although I have to give them, that x-mas and new-years eve have to be taken into account.

Yet, that statement of yours and @garro yesterday, must not be true:

There is this one thread with four users reporting a dead accelerometer. That’s at least not really a clear indicator of a more frequent error.
Of course, that’s no excuse for keeping you waiting.
I would guess, it takes a new core-module to fix this problem.

Another week has passed … no update, no feedback, no solution - no happy Fairphoner :frowning_face:

1 Like

Hello,
my ticket finally got processed - I have to send in my phone. Will update you on the process.
Regards

1 Like