FP2 Frequent crashes requiring reboot by holding power button >10s

I also have a crash problem. During the last days it started rebooting spontaneously, especially when it was charging. Today it crashed toitally, even though it still had 55 % battery power. I had to take the battery out to start it up again.

Long pressing the power button does nothing, alas. The only think I can ever do is take out the battery.

For the hard reset reboot (*) it must be held > 10 seconds which feels very long.
Are you sure you are waiting long enough?

*edit by @paulakreuzer: hard reset is something different.

3 Likes

Just wanted to share that this problem seems to have gotten worse for me since the most recent update, really disappointed as it seemed to have gotten much better in the previous one. Sometimes when charging, sometimes not. If it crashes when charging the LED stays on, but long pressing the power button does nothing. Pressing and holding the power and volume buttons for longer than 10s starts a reset, but the reset crashes and I have to take the battery out to restart. This has been happening every day since the newest update :pensive:

Hi

My fairphone2 starting freezing on the home screen about 7 days ago. Now it is freezing at least once a day.
It can freeze on any of my screens and at any time and when using any apps/programmes.
I have to remove the battery and reinsert in order to get the screen to respond to my finger touch.

I have tried to hold the Power button for between 9-13secs as indicated above but nothing happens.

Any other suggestions??
Pauline

Hello, same problem for me, FP2 blocks and I until now I had to get the batterie out to restart it. I will try the power button hold more than 10 sec the next time.

It seems to happen randomly, but most of the times (but not only) when picking the phone in the morning after charging, when I take a look to it the screen is already black and the phone not responding and the green light stays on.

I hope the issue will be identified and solved soon because is very annoying.

I do also get crashes every once in a while. It happened when m y alarm was on in the morning. The phone did not react any more, but I had to remove the battery to stop the alarm and reboot the phone. It also happened when I was making a phone call. The mailbox answered. I did not want to leave a message, but the screen was black and the phone did not react, so I could not hang up the phone. After pressing the start button for a while, the phone rebooted. It also happened when I did not do anything on the phone. I was walking around and felt the vibration in my pocket when the phone shutted down and than rebooted.
This is really irritating. I need a phone, that I can trust on to work.

For me, the problem got partly solved since the last OSOS update (16.07.1). Now my phone still restarts randomly - something I have seen with many Android phones. So this is still annoying, but definitely better than before. Letā€™s hope the problem gets entirely resolved soon!

Well, definitely for me one of the main causes is 4G activation, because when I do so at least once a day I suffer a restart and I canā€™t track a precise scenario which causes the restart (once during a phone call, once simply by activating the display to see the clock, once just few seconds before the morning alarm, and so onā€¦).
BUT if I configure the 3G I still get random poweroffs and most of the cases (about 90%) is during a CPU/GPU heavy work (using the Palemoon browser looking at Google Maps, using OSMand for browsing a map, everything else that heats the phone due to high CPU/GPU work)
I also had a poweroff while developing an app and I had the phone connected with ADB but I was not able to get the logs (I hoped to be able to track a crash or some low level exception :frowning: ) but I suspect there could be something that involves OpenGL or the GPU because this is the only common denominator of the issues.
The only thing I was able to see is that Windows showed 5 or 6 removable device letters (E:, F:, etc) while the screen was black, so definitely the phone is still powered up but the only thing I can do to restart it is pressing the power button for at least 15 seconds.
Bye!

So Iā€™ve had 2 crashes in the last 3 days, and pressing or holding down the power button results in varying colour patterns, stripes, snow, a white screen or a black screen. I see no trigger pattern to it and its a week since I updated to the most recent.
Both instances of a crash, I removed the battery and restarted it 3 times. Then it was completely fine again. Weird.
Next time it happens I will try to call the phone to see if its the phone or just the screen.

This is exactly the behavior I am seeing from my phone. Since the last update there are no random reboots anymore, but now this. It has never happend while using the phone, only when the screen is off and then about once or twice a day it wonā€™t react anymore. And the hard reset (power and volume buttons) gets stuck, so the only way is to take the battery out.
Most often this happens in the morning when I first try to check it.

I couldnā€™t use my phone for most of today. It seems to come back online after 3 times of removing the battery, then leaving it out a 4th time for an hour or more, then putting it back in and ignoring the phone, not pressing any buttons for hours. Then I can turn it on and access my messages. Not very impressive for a phone Iā€™ve had for 3 months with a Ā£500 price tag.

And I tried calling myself which didnā€™t work, so its not just a screen Crash. Long keypress reboot has no effect either. I have no idea when its next going to happen, so Iā€™m not removing the sim and memory indefinitely because I need to use them while I can!
I have just made myself a developer and turned off the HW render or something, which was a workaround for a glitching screen. If I donā€™t post here again, youā€™ll know it worked!

Iā€™ve experienced 2 serious and maybe related issues:

1. my phone restarting by itself
  2. My phone just showing blank screen and not responding unless I remove and insert the battery (I havenā€™t tried the >10 seconds pressing power button yet).
    Both have only occured while Iā€™m not using the phone.

Iā€™ve had the phone for about 3 months now and itā€™s been acting strange for the past 2 weeks aproximately.
My cache is very low (about 50mb) and I rarely use mobile data. I switch wifi on a couple of times each day, but thatā€™s it.

Further Iā€™ve had problems with the time on the locked screen apps:

1. Peace of Mind: Very rarely getā€™s the time Iā€™ve had the screen turned off right. When I havenā€™t used the phone for hours, it usually says Iā€™ve had peace of Mind for 0 minutes.
  2. Youā€™ve had your Phone: Worked perfectly the first few hours after I turned on the phone for the first time. Then it added a week. And sometimes it adds days or weeks, so it thinks Iā€™ve had the phone for a month longer than I have. A bit weird, but no deal breaker. :slight_smile:

So, it worked fine for about a week. Now its crashing again and thereā€™s no reason for it at the times it happens. Could it be the FP updates? It started crashing again after Iā€™d accepted the last FP update (12 sept, was it?). The phone has been both charging and not charging when I pick it up to turn it on and it just doesnā€™t. The screen shows technicolour snow, blank white or blank black and thats it. Reboots donā€™t work, taking the battery out does but it has to stay out for an hour or so. Not good enough and this forum just makes me more confused. I shall try asking for a replacement.

after my latest update my phone doesnā€™t react anymore during the charging, and sometimes even when not charging. It doesnā€™t get black, but the touchscreen doesnā€™t do anything until I reboot. So I canā€™t pick up when someone calls me.

Iā€™m experiencing a similar problem the last weeks, could be related to the software update.
My phone randomly gets into a state where I canā€™t wake it up from standby any more. The screen stays black, no reaction. The LED seems to work properly. I once tried to call myself from another phone, but that didnā€™t wake it up either.
Sometimes I was just waiting for a while and then it worked normally again. Oddly the value shown for the ā€œyou havenā€™t used tour phone sinceā€¦ā€ Then showed the time since I had tried to wake it up.
Sometimes I removed the battery, as holding the power button only resulted in a short vibration. When removing the battery and putting it back, the little progress screen appeared saying ā€œupdating App x of yā€ like after a software update.
I tried a normal reboot just to see if this screen would appear again, but it didnā€™t. This morning after removing the battery it didnā€™t either.
A while ago I had a similar problem, but it was caused by an App that was using to much resources in the background or just hanging up regularly. After uninstalling this App my phone was working normal again. This time I also started uninstalling recently installed Apps, but it didnā€™t help and I think it could also be an update of the older ones or even an update applied by the OS update - if this issue is caused by an Appā€¦
Any ideas how to find this out if itā€™s an App and which one?

Iā€™m having this problem too. Has been okay for a few days, but itā€™s troubling. Iā€™ve seen on other threads that some people recommend putting a piece of folded paper in the back to keep the battery in place, but Iā€™m loathe to do that, given how hot the phone can get. Will try disabling 4G and see if that helps, but thatā€™s not ideal either, is it?
Hopefully this is now enough users to get a bug report (unless Iā€™ve missed one). Fairphone folk?

Iā€™m having a similar problem to Imogen, with the phone randomly shutting down, and only restarting if I remove the battery and replace it. I want to be sure that putting a small piece of paper in the back of the phone isnā€™t going to damage anything, as the battery also gets hot.

I would only do it if the battery doesnā€™t sit tightly on itā€™s own. But if thatā€™s the case than the paper could fix the crashes and the phone may even stay cooler then.