FP2 Frequent crashes requiring reboot by holding power button >10s

Sounds promising. I’ll try and set things up soon. Might just take a while as I’m very much an amateur at this type of thing, so working out how to set these kind of things up requires a lot of googling for me and rather a lot of trial and error!

I have this too sometimes, usually when scrolling. But the other day, something very unusual happened.

We were in the car (on the way from Vienna to Schladming), with two FP2’s sitting in our pockets, doing nothing in particular. At some point on the way, we tried looking at our phones and realized that they were both frozen and needed their battery to be removed. So, something (not user-triggered, we had the phones in our pockets, of course screen lock was on) made them both freeze.

[quote=“vivia, post:28, topic:12049”]
…were both frozen…
[/quote]Funny story.
I think you both passed an NSA surveilled cell mast, and the FP2s defended themself from beeing spied :wink:

1 Like

Just another disappointed user that has random freezes. I haven’t actually discovered reboots, but the phone just goes black. Doesn’t turn on anymore, even when pressing 10 sec on power button. It just vibrates and the red LED lights up. I am able to restart it after 10 minutes or so, it then re-optimizes all apps.

To me this seems like a hardware problem. I have experienced blackscreens at full battery charges and at low ones, however, when I’m able to turn on the phone again and look at the battery usage, there is a time-period that where no battery usage is not shown at all, like in this picture:

Anyone has an idea what this means?

I moved your post here as you don’t have reboots. Even though the topic title says “requiring removal of battery to restart” I guess it’s the same issue, because the others probably didn’t wait ten minutes like you.

Hey,

maybe the problem could be caused by a loose battery. I created a topic for it:

Battery pack liberates from holder -> FP crashes and rearrangement necessary

1 Like

Hmmm, my FP2 has the same problem. But this morning it is getting worse. After putting the battery back it’s works for a few seconds. After I enter my password. Then the screen is frozen.

Now it’s wants to reboot. With this error: E:can’t open /dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/misc (permission denied). Maybe someone knows what this means and hopefully this is the error for freezing my screen. I’m gonna try ADB when I’m home.

Can somebody help me? But a phone that doesn’t work at all is very disappointing.

Greetz,

Bart

1 Like

My fairphone 2 crashes more times the day and flicker at several brightness . when we get an urgent update?

1 Like

Today my FP2 crashed about 5 times. So far there’s one consistency: it happens when the screen is off. There’s no way to switch the device back on, other than removing and reinserting the battery, or pressing the power button for more than 10 seconds.

The phone just lies on my desk, so no (heavy) movement that might affect the battery position. The battery or device itself don’t appear to be getting hot. The phone does not have any apps installed that have ads, or any other out of the ordinary apps that I had not installed on my FP1.

I’ve cold reset the device twice already (about two months ago), no change. I’ve tried different batteries, no help there either. Switching off G4 didn’t work, meaning it didn’t fix it.

It happens both while charging or unplugged.

At one instance, the LED was flashing, indicating the phone received a message (that I later could confirm). Yet, there was no way to switch the phone on. I therefore conclude the phone still works, but just isn’t responsive to the power button. I have no indication the power button is malfunctioning in ‘normal’ operations.

Upon every restart the phone language is set back to the SIM’s country, which is also quite annoying.

I’m very curious about when to expect a new firmware that could fix this. I found myself thinking it’s a bit weird, to put it mildly, to charge more than 500 Euros for a device that doesn’t work.

edit: Sometimes I’m lucky and the phone works like a charm for a day. While typing this post, the phone froze again, which brings us to a score of 6 for today.

Hi!

It has happened to me twice: finding FP2 with black screen and not being able to do anything, just taking the battery out to be able to restart again the phone.

Today I upgraded the OS version, and 30 minutes after, while I was using wifi, I opened Google Maps and turned on the GPS. I left the wifi and started to walk using maps without internet. When I’ve taken the phone again (after 5 minutes) it has the black screen and without any evidence of live. I removed the battery and then I could restart it.

I’m using 2 sim cards with 2 Android users and both are running in roaming mode.

Is there any easy tool to have a log running in the background?

Thanks for your help!

Pau

1 Like

I also have to restart my FP2 about 1-3 times a day. I’ve never had it freeze during use, rather I’ve always picked it up with a blank screen and it won’t unlock. Sometimes there is LED activity still. It always restarts with a long (10s) press of the power button. I can’t see any pattern to it. I’ve tried uninstalling some apps that I though might cause it but it hasn’t helped. Hoped the update would help, but I think if anything it’s worse now.

1 Like

I’m also experiencing the same issues with the black screen and unresponsive FP2. The notification led flashes so the phone is still working. Have to hold down power button for approx 10 seconds for it to reboot. Happens around 1-2 times a day.

I’m using the FP2 as a test for my company to see if we should purchase more of them. So far it’s the buggiest phone I’ve had. At this price point I expect more. In this state it feels like a “take 3, pay for 2 product” at a gas station or something…

my phone chrashes twice while google maps was used as navigation system and hooked up on a car usb charger

Happens to me probably once every 2-3 days. Worse after the update. Usually I’ve just pressed the power button to standby the phone, then I realise I needed to check something, press the power button and it doesn’t respond.

Leaving it does nothing. If I long press the power button for 10-15 secs it buzzes and I see the Fairphone white on black screen and it reboots (fairly quickly) as if it had just been turned on.

Occasionally I see it locking up with the screen on when I’m not interacting with hit. Exactly the same, but the screen is on and it doesn’t power save off. It’s as if it’s the same bug, except sometimes it’s randomly happening vs happening when I power off the scree with the power button

I have the same problem every day at least once and it’s very annoying and potentially hazardous. This morning, my alarm didn’t go off because it happened during the night. Two hours later, it happened while I was playing music using the external speaker and the music kept playing but the phone screen was black and not responsive. I could only use the hardware volume buttons to control the volume.

I also always have to remove the battery to fix this massive bug. Please offer some help soon, otherwise this phone is not really usable or even reliable.
I’ve received my phone on 7.4.16, so it was one of the first after the long manufacture break and it worked fine until four days ago when these crashes started happening.

P.S.: I’m using the beta FPOSOS image from the beta section of this forum.

One potential partial short term fix might be to delete the phone’s cache.

My phone was crashing 5+ times a day, then after I updated the firmware during the first day it crashed a couple of times, so I tried a few other things in desperation. I noticed my phone’s cache was 7.14GB(!!!) and so tried deleting it. Since then my phone only crashes once every few days. Still can’t rely on it as my only alarm clock, but actually makes my phone usable which is nice. It might be a coincidence but the correlation between me deleting the cache and the crashing drastic reduction felt spot on.

Since then my cache is up to >2GB so I’m going to monitor and see if as it gets bigger crashes increase…

On a separate note, I don’t think cache’s are supposed to get that big right?..

How do you delete the cache?

Easiest way might be to go to the recovery and wipe the cache.

Peter974 go to settings - storage - click on “cached data” - then say “OK” when it asks is it ok to “clear cashed data”

I tried turning off 4G and a new lock screen. Neither have made any difference. Might try the cache, though I would lose things I would prefer not to like the Maps cache or the Chrome cache.