FP2 dropping calls

Hi abell,

Yes, under the antenna plate you will find a small printed circuit board, the antenna wire is connected underneath. If that is still connected, you have a different kind of problem, if the antenna connector is loose, you will see it immediatly.

Good luck!

Alfi

Solved: I had the same problems and could also repair the FP2 similar than Alfi1966: Indeed the antenna cable connector in the left part of the phone was not seated correctly. But it my case it was the other end of the cable on the upper part of the mobile. The connector is hidden under the metal shield plate. After four weeks my FP2 is running again :slight_smile: Regards, Schnolek

4 Likes

Alfi, thanks for guidance. I have now checked both the lower circuit connector and the upper antenna connection (a small round connection, not a board as such), as Schnolek tried.

Everything was perfectly neat and seated (through the eyes of an amateur). No clicking plate nor loose parts. Sadly enough it didnā€™t solve my issues.

I suspect something else to be the problem, like a weak antenna or something else, since I can systematically go to this certain place and find a very weak signal. But very unstable still, not always.

I donā€™t have the skills to see if something is wrong with the components, this issue seems to be beyond what I can fix. I need help/action from FP support (who hasnā€™t replied in 19 days). People basically can not get in touch with me and vice versa. My patience is very much up.

Has anyone heard anything from support? Or had a refund?

If you want to speed up getting support, give them a call. If you think you have been waiting too long for a reply, post it here (with your ticket no.).
Unfortunately support is overloaded with work.

1 Like

Hi, thanks for replying. Iā€™ve tried calling them, but theyā€™re always busy asking you to call another time. And they specifically ask you not to write them e-mails multiple times.

The thing is I donā€™t know if I should put my fairphone back in the box and hope that one day they will take it back, or if I should try to observe ā€˜changesā€™ and fix it (as I already did) - the latter seems to lead nowhere.

Hey, Iā€™ll make sure that we will come with an answer to your question today! Thanks for your patience.

Hi, thank you!
Ticket number #111532. I just need heads-up wether this is fixable or what to do.

Unfortunately we are going to need to replace the device, we believe the antenna has a production issue. I have just sent you the proper instructions. Have a good weekend!

1 Like

Thank you. Iā€™ll follow the instructions. Have a nice weekend too!

Hallo schnolek, I have also the problem, that my FP2 doesnā€™t connect. after a certain time there are coming sms, that I had lost some calls. I wanted to try to fix it myself, but I canā€™t find the antenna plate wether the antenna itself. would it be possible to show me a picture, on which I can see it? thank you very much!

Hi Karin, sorry for the late answer. It is the large plate at the left bottom of this picture:

I had to bend it upwards to see the connector. Not sure if it can be detached. Best regards

noot moderator: donā€™t do this as Sietse writes two messages below this one

I have had the same problems constantly for over two monthsā€¦ I contacted the support. Hereā€™s their answer I got today which doesnā€™t help (I had obviously tried that already) :
ā€œCan you maybe try this solution:
Somehow the SIM cards loses
connection to the operator network. An exact cause we cannot point out,
but there is a solution for this.
You can solve this by going to Settings > More > Mobile Networks > Network Operators.
Here click on Search Networks. After this click on your own network. Now this is manually set and it should not change anymore.
If you go to other countries often you could now also put it back to choose automatically.
If you use 2 SIM cards be sure to repeat this for the second SIM card as well.ā€

Maybe itā€™ll help someone but it was no use to me. Iā€™ll contact them againā€¦and let you know !!!

2 Likes

Please never to bend these kind of plates in the smartphone. If you do so you void the warranty as with this you can damage the motherboard.
And even more really do not recommend other customers to do so, because it will also void their warranty.

Hi Abell, donā€™t worry, I had exactly the same problem and was so frustrated for the last three months but it came to an end after contacting the official Fairphone support. Hereā€™s their second answer (after a first obvious solution I had already tried) :
"This is indeed a known issue, the antenna cable seems to be loose, if you are a bit handy
or know somebody that is handy, you can fix it yourself:

If not, weā€™ll have to swap your phone for a new one.
Let me know what you prefer."

Iā€™m not particularly handy with electronics so I got my son to do it with the right tools (he is able to take a computer apart and put it back together). He couldnā€™t see anything loose but he took it apart, checked it, put it back together and since then Iā€™m REALLY glad to say : IT WORKS PERFECTLY FINE AGAIN. So good luck to you !

1 Like

Could you please tell me the size of the screwdriver? Or maybe @Bernhard_Schmidt Because my phone also drops callsā€¦ So I can get me a tool tonight. Therefore an answer today would really help me. Thanks in advance!

Hi, you need a Torq 5 (T5) scewdriver.

Good luck!

Alfi

Again: if you open the motherboard on the core module you void warranty. If something else gets damaged we cannot replace the core module in warranty anymore.
As such this is on your own risk.

1 Like

Well in that case, can you @Sietse explain why the support team advised me to do just that (or send it back) without telling me it could void warranty ? Iā€™m glad it worked ! I have all their messages in stock if necessaryā€¦

1 Like

@Carlottebou could you please give me the name of the Fairphone Customer Support employee who told you that this was okay to do. All support employees should know that this is not support and can void the warranty and if there is someone who doesnā€™t I will need to explain it.

You can send me a PM about this.

Thanks in advance.

Then, if I wouldnā€™t like to void warranty by opening the motherboard on the core module; how can I fix the problem of breaking my phone calls?