FP2 Bricked - Recovery Help

Hi guys,
so I tried rooting my FP2 with KingRoot and SuperSuMe yesterday only to realize that it getā€™s stuck on the loading screen and doesnā€™t boot anymore. So I did some research and found this and this, both related to the FP1, but I figured the procedure qould be the same in general.
So I can boot into recovery and open an adb connection from my windows PC, all I seem to be missing, is a fresh ROM to flash to my phone via sideload. Where would I get one?
I actually do have a second FP2 at hand and I figured I might just backup its ROM and flash it to my other FP2, but I did not find a way to extract it without changing the recovery and since the second one isnā€™t my phone I was too scared to brick it as well by fiddling around with its recovery.
So any help you guys can give me is highly appreciated at the moment, as Iā€™m still quite new to the Android world :slight_smile:
Thanks and best regards,

Moritz

Perhaps @paulakreuzer could tell you more. If I remember correctly he softbricked his phone by deinstalling all GSMā€¦ Unfortunately, I am no dev eitherā€¦

1 Like

The OTA updater (http://ota.fairphone.com/FP2/updater.zip) points to this file:

http://storage.googleapis.com/fairphone-updates/FP2-gms36-1.1.7-ota.zip

Does this help?

EDIT: Sorry, I just realized that this only contains boot.img - I doubt this is sufficient to rebuild the complete system. :frowning:

4 Likes

Well what I did was simply a hard reset. That got me so far that I could boot up the phone again, so - to undo the rest of the damage I did - I could reinstall the OS through the updater App.

Okay,
where would I get the proper system.img to flash it to the phone? Another user was so kind to send me his build of the FP2-osos, but if I try to flash it via adb sideload I get:

Finding update packageā€¦
Opening update packageā€¦
E:footer is wrong
E:signature verification failed
Installation aborted

So something seems not to be rightā€¦

The .zip file contains the file system.new.dat. Apparently you can convert it to a system.img like this:

Good luck, tryingā€¦

Is this really needed? I think the device should be able just use FP2-gms36-1.1.7-ota.zip (on a SD/sideloaded) from the recovery. But I donā€™t have a FP2 so I donā€™t want to say anything wrong.

It actually did work!
It just took me some time downloading the package but flashing works as it is and I didnā€™t need to convert anything. Phone took something like 5 minutes to boot afterwards (probably running after-installation and setup scripts) but now itā€™s very vanilla again!
Thanks for the link to the ota-update @root and thanks for the support @USB-2 :slight_smile:

1 Like

Cool!

Itā€™s a seriously important thing we learnded here today! :smile::+1:

1 Like

It think the is currently a lot of confusing info floating around (What does the recovery verify?, whatā€™s inside the ota? Does a full backup work? Shameless plug: I think the best source for info right now is the wiki here, if one does not want to read all the threads in the forum. :wink:

So, how did you actually do it? Copy the .zip to an SD card, boot the recovery and use ā€œapply update from sdcardā€? Iā€™m currently trying to send the .zip via sideload but when the PC is at ~40% the phone cancels the process:

Finding update packageā€¦
Opening update packageā€¦
Verifying update packageā€¦
E:failed to verify whole-file signature
E:signature verification failed

I verified the MD5 of the ota-zip with the one from the updater.xml and they match.

Is there a file size limit for sideload? Iā€™d need to find a free ĀµSD-card to test the ā€œfrom sdcardā€-approach.
UPDATE: Found a suitable ĀµSD-card and Iā€™m currently copying the OTA zip file to it

Did it work? If the checksum matches, you should be able to sideload the .zip from the SD card. I hope it will work for you!

Nope, sideloading the OTA-zip doesnā€™t work for me. I also tried different USB-cables. It might fail since the recovery Iā€™m using is self-compiled using the instructions on http://code.fairphone.com but thatā€™d be a strange reason.
Iā€™ll tell you if it worked usind the sdcard as soon as copying finished.

If youā€™re using a self compiled recovery you might as well disable the zip file verification. I think this is only a hassle and does not serve any real purpose

ā€œApplying update via sdcardā€ also failed for me with both OTA zips (1.1.6 and 1.1.7) though the MD5s of the files match whatā€™s in the updater.xml. Sadly I can no longer try using the original recovery system since I donā€™t have the .img (No one except Fairphone has, I assume).
@lklaus: Sure I could disable that. Iā€™m just wondering why it failes on the official updates released by Fairphone :smirk:

interestingā€¦ I uploaded it via adb sideload and it worked on the very first tryā€¦
why would a custom recovery impact the installation of a standard rom? Doesnā€™t make sense to meā€¦

Does not make sense, Iā€™m simply not sure in the recovery are all keys usedā€¦

@Moritz
Hey,
Freibadschwimmer suggested to me to ask you for help here
I made some mistakes concerning getting write access to my sdcard
Now my phone is dead and I tried to recover it but I couldnā€™ succeed.
Which mistake have I done?
Could you help me to restore my phone?

I am a beginner!
Though I first stored the FP2-gms36-1.1.7-ota.zip on my sdcard.
Then I booted into recovery mode (at least I think so) and chose ā€œinstall update from sdcardā€ and pointed to the ota.zip .
The phone installed it but after the reboot I got error messages like ā€œgoogle services are terminatedā€ as well as Hangouts and more about google services.
I canā€™t finish the setup wizard because of the failure messages (google services are
terminated) and the wizard itself gets terminated. These messages began before flashing after a mistake in editing the platform.xml because the storage and the external sdcard werenā€™t recognized any more.
Did I make any mistake concerning the flashing?
I guess that the storage partition has to be recovered or created new?
I want the phone to be as it was delivered. What else do I have todo?
Could anybody help me because I am a bit despaired about my newe phone and begin to get hopeless.
Do I have to send my phone back to FP?

Maybe try to flash ota.zip in fastboot, as you can add -w, which does some wiping too