FP1 Spare parts availability (batteries, displays, motherboards, etc. [out of stock!?])

Does anyone here know if micro usb port and its placement on the mainboard was changed between FP1 and FP1U? Or stayed this part of the main board unchanged between the revisions?

I haven’t seen any good FP1U main board pictures on the net.

Looks similar, but the comparison picture is maybe the wrong side of the motherboard. See here:

1 Like

You’re right. This is the best picture of the FP1U so far. And the usb port pin placement looks pretty much the same. Too bad.

Well, there are people or at least repair shops, that were able to replace the USB connector.

1 Like

The pictures I saw looked bad. It looked like changing the port is pretty complicated even for experienced shops.

Currently I can still “wiggle” around the problem … The board is old, has design issues and it looks like MTK stopped supporting it … so I will try it myself as soon as it stops working completely.

I was interested about the quality management/control aspect. I had a discussion on how important/unimportant tracking problems like those is for a project. I think it’s important to change a production quickly these days, as soon as a possible hardware problem is identified. Even if this opens up the possibility of introducing new problems and more costs.

So you get at least replacement parts that will work, if you need to replace parts in already sold items. I’m not sure if the usb port problem was already well known during the time the FP1U was planned. Maybe they just changed the chip.

In this post you can find a spare part that seems to work and in the topic instructions an pictures.

Yep, that are the pictures I was thinking about :slight_smile: It’s a horrible solder job. But he did the best he could … given the circumstances.

Any news on battery availability? It’s stated as out of stock for ages now and my battery-situation is severely degraded so it would be good to know if it is worth waiting for or if I need to replace the phone.

This is the latest news I’ve heard of. So, hold on for another two weeks! :wink:

PS: Credits go to @urs_lesse who posted this in another forum.

1 Like

I ordered a FP1 battery maybe two or tree weeks ago and I got it on time…?!

In that case I guess something is wrong in the shop. I signed up for “Sign up to get notified when this product is back in stock” Feb 18 and have not got any mail and I’ve been checking the shop every now and then to see and still out of stock.

Hä? Strange… I placed my order on 23.2.16 and got the battery around one week later…

still no display assmblies yet?
or did I just miss the first shipping and they are out of stock again?
(I was hoping to receive an email in case there were new displays available)

Hey @LillyF,

Yeah, we are still waiting for them. :frowning:
You will be notified the moment they are back in stock.

Best,
Douwe

Hey, we are waiting for the next batch of FP1 batteries to arrive from China. They are going through final quality controls now and we expect them to be shipped next week… so hang in there! Thanks for your patience.

2 Likes

Hi @Douwe, can ou please notify me as well as my display broke yesterday. I already made a service request (#95465) but it says it can take up to 8 days for an answer… Thanks and happy Easter! Axel

Hey @axelito, you can leave your mail address on the page in our shop to be notified when screens are back in stock.

For those interested: Fairphone has just released a blog post about spare parts, explaining some of the back story that affects spare part availability:

Return of the Battery! (FP1 & FP1U)

4 Likes

Hi,

Still no display available and I really need one!
My fairphone fell several weeks ago and I just don’t have a phone anymore, that is not possible (oh yes, I’ve an old one that alows me phoning but strictly this…).

Please tell me they’re available soon…

Furthermore, can somebody help me about this: My fairphone connects (bluetooth for instance) as “FP1”, but I bought it on Novembre 2014, and I saw FP1U started in “mid-2014” so… Do you think mine can be a FP1 or a FP1U? (Do your FP1U connect as “FP1”?). And does this change anything about replacing the display?

Thanks to all of you…

1 Like