FP1 Spare parts availability (batteries, displays, motherboards, etc. [out of stock!?])

Firstly this is a community forum. In most of the cases you cannot address Fairphone staff directly (you need to use the support channel for that).

Secondly, in my opinion, Fairphone has done their best to prolong the lifetime of even FP1. Very soon an update to a major Android release will be pushed to an almost 3 years old phone. So the people, who were really careful with their devices and could save them from major damages, can very soon enjoy a secure phone with some important feature improvements (like Bluetooth LE).

2 Likes

My first goal was not to ask for support in this post. Indeed, I have used the correct form. However, I suspect that some Fairphone guys have sometimes a glance at this forum and some feedback about their older customers (FP1) could as useful as the feedback from the newers. Please, replace “your knowledge” but “their knowledge” and that’s it :wink:
Secondly, as I mentioned, I have been as careful as possible with my 2 Fairphone devices (or at least as careful as I can be with 2 children) but a friend of mine had the same problem with an iphone 5 (release 2012) and its display remained broken until he got the apple store. Please, do not misunderstand. I don’t want to compare commercial markets, just to notice the lifecycle of certain phone.
Finally, yes! I am absolutely convinced of the great job and efforts of the Fairphone team and, although it does not seem to be the channel, I congratulate and encourage them to improve and maintain this initiative.
Regards,

1 Like

I have tried to order a display assembly for my Fairphone 1. A couple of days back it said that it is currently out of stock and I could tick to be notified when it becomes available. Now it simply says “sold out”. Will it, by any chance become available again? My touchscreen has become partly unresponsive, and to make it fully usable again, I would have to replace it.

1 Like

I’ve crashed my display :frowning: of FP1 and would like to repair it.
When will the display unit be back on stock - if ever?
Thanks,
Toni

1 Like

Maybe @Douwe can provide a newer update, but the latest we know is that there is a ongoing problem in finding a factory that is able and willing to produce new screens for the FP1(U).

2 Likes

There is no news in this department.
We do still have good hopes that FP1 displays will be produced again, but we are not able to say when this will be.

6 Likes

I really need a new display for FP1.
when are they available again?

No change…
We’re still looking for a partner to have the displays produced.

2 Likes

Is there a reason why you do not bring all available screens of the FP1 on the market? They are out of stock on the shop, but you can still send in your phone to replace the screen. Why would you keep some of them within the service center for people sending in their phone? I guess this way you will end up after a year with a lot of screens in the service center where you could have helped many DIY-fixers that are now switching to another smartphone because 130 euro is just too much.

They were doing it this way because there were still some phones in the warranty period. I don’t know about now, I thought that the last FP1Us were sold in November 2014.

1 Like

This motivated me to finally hunt down when exactly the final 1500 FP1Us were sold. It seems that this actually happened in the first days February 2015, so the final FP1Us should be going out of warranty in February 2017. As far as I remember, the batch sold out the same day ordering was made possible.

Not sure if the link works for anyone else – here’s the 29 January 2015 newsletter reporting about the last FP1U sale.

5 Likes

When will the motherboard for FP1 be available again? I need it because I cannot charge my battery anymore. It seems to be damaged (and it’s not the battery or cabel).

Probably never. You can of course contact Fairphone via customer support. It’s easier to get an official answer there.

If your Fairphone is out of warranty, finding a repair shop to solder a new USB port to your motherboard might be the most reasonable attempt. If there is no local repair shop who can do this, have a look at the list of repair shops familiar with Fairphones.

The other option is Fairphone’s buyback program (if it is still valid). For details on that, contact Fairphone Support as suggested by Stefan. :slight_smile:

Hey,

i´ve got a FP1U and now the display is broken. Unfortunatly display units are currently out of stock…
I am sorry, but is FP serious about not to have such an important spare part available???
I know about the small amount of produced FP1 phones. But what about this 60.000 phones with
currently or in the future broken displays? --> Waste! and nothing to repair…

I have to say i´am really disappointed about this… I campaigned for FP1 and told around about spare parts, about repairing your phone and not buying a new phone every time something is broken.
now i have to reconcider my opinion about FP…
In case I would now buy a FP2 is FP then in around 2,5 years also not producing such an important spare part like a display on it, because FP has developed then FP3???

The idea of FP is/was nice, but it seems not working and all people with a FP1 are/were kind of guinea pigs to test what´s working and what´s not… that´s ok, when it´s comunicated like this…

Fairphone doesn’t produce any slate parts. It’s their partner factories. And if they don’t want to produce spare parts, Fairphone itself is screwed… :frowning:

Unfortunately it’s not in Fairphone hands… I fully agree that it would be a shame if they decided to stop production of spare parts so early!

1 Like

A post was merged into an existing topic: Unofficial second hand Fairphone 1 marketplace (sell/buy)

Fairphone made the promise. We believed them. If it is impossible to keep, they should not have made it. It is their responsibility.

Did they really not see this coming? Did they make this promise without checking whether they can actually keep it?

The least they should do by now is to explain where they went wrong and how they are going to fix it and what this means for FP2 and future models who will likewise have very small production numbers compared to mainstream phones.

1 Like

Where did you ever read a promise by Fairphone?

You can read all about it on Fairphone’s blog e.g. this article.

Where did you ever read a promise by Fairphone?

before I ordered it. Durability was one of the key selling points in the ads. It was promised very explicitly. And no, without assured spare parts availability you cannot have durability.