FP1 Spare parts availability (batteries, displays, motherboards, etc. [out of stock!?])

@Rolands_Jjj: Please, don’t just throw it into trash! There are valuable parts and resources (metals etc.) in it, so at least give it to a recycling company, if giving it to other FP1 users costs too much time for you!

However, @Johannes is completely right and I don’t think you’d waste other’s time, because I guess there are people who’d take it. And it doesn’t cost much time and effort to just post a short message in the Unofficial second hand market thread and then send a parcel to somebody who is interested. You might even still get 50€ or so for it. If you don’t know how much it is worth, just ask how much people would pay for it in the before mentioned topic.

And in fact, before you throw it away, I’d take it and would pay the shipping costs (and also 10€ extra if you want) …

And of course, in view of douwe’s post, you could also wait some more weeks to get a working screen …

2 Likes

I’m sorry to say that but, it would have been nice to get more status updates on the displays.
The article about the spare parts supply chain explained a lot and I would have apppreciated it, to get these detailed information sooner.
Also: Your last post on the end of february gave me hope that it wouldn’t take that much longer, since you already tested the screens.
But if i got it right the displays are produced right now. Is there a date on which you expect the displays to arrive in the netherlands? one month or six months? Just to get a clue…

Although I still think that the FP is a great idea and I would want to support the idea further, I think my next phone wont be a FP

• first broken battery (warranty case, still left me months without a phone)
  • broken display for 6 months now
  • lots of problems with space capacity on my phone (i know there is a way to fix it but i’m not as much a technical person as i should be to fix it the fast and easy way - it will probably take me days to reorganize internal memory and phone memory)
  • the FP will be to expensive for me, when I need a new phone (why is the FP2 so expensive compared to the FP1? probably because of the features, I know. But why did you decide to produce a high end phone? just out of curiosity?)

So I think as I just want to have a simple phone that works (for calling, messaging and checking train schedules), can be repaired easily and therefore is a sustainable and social phone, I dont fit your target group any more

A post was split to a new topic: Storage Upgrade is complicated and takes a long time

@Stefan : Thank you. Good to know. Wasn’t aware of the fact that in the FP1 the components were of less quality

I also have a broken screen for six months now, and to be honest i´m more than tired of waiting for the displays to be available again.
There was an update earlier in the thread that said they should have been available at the end of march, but that didn´t happen. I really don´t like the idea of a) paying quite a lot of money for the screen and b) having to wait for such a long time.
In my eyes, such an issue really undermines the credibility of a fair phone being able to keep up with normal phones standards…at least in terms of repairability, for which i had high hopes.

3 Likes

Hey @Sierra,

Yes, we are with you on this one. The availability of spare parts for the FP1 has been a much longer and tougher journey then we anticipated at first. I hope you have read our blog about spare parts where we explain some of the difficulties in getting screens and batteries.

We’re planning to write more about the issues to get the screen in a future blog post.

But as it looks now we’ll have loads of batteries before the end of the month and somewhere around 900 screens. As there are currently over 1.000 people waiting for a new screen we expect them to be sold out fast…

4 Likes

Then it is STILL a failure, and you will still have over a hundred customers EVEN LESS happy because they will be facing another indeterminate wait for a working “repairable” phone. At that point, there is no blog post that will help restore the lost goodwill. You need actions, not words.

1 Like

900 screens for 1000 people?
Omg… :frowning:

1 Like

Hey @dan and @Marc_Muntanya,

Yes, we know this is to little. To be exact; there are 1.000 people who subscribed to be notified if new screens are available. We do not know if all of these people still need these screens, or got (rightly so) tired of waiting and found a different solution.

As you can read in our blog on spare parts the screen, and most other parts of any phone, are not the type of products you can just get from any store or factory by walking in, slapping down some cash and walk out again.

Especially the low volume, dependency on sub-suppliers make it harder and harder to get these parts and a lot of time and energy from multiple team members went into getting these 900 screens.

We are also not enjoying these delays and are sad it takes so much time and energy of everybody. But at least we have something now for 900 people. We’ll continue to work to get screens to the other people as well.

Best
Douwe

7 Likes

So better don’t get your screen smashed to pieces… :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

Oh
my
god.

:astonished:

Click picture to get there.

P.S.: Please note there is an AT Österreich language option now. :wink:

8 Likes

Yes, as @urs_lesse has already discovered, today is a glorious day, since we FINALLY have a fresh batch of Fairphone 1 displays available in our shop. These will fit on both FP1 as FP1U devices. Since we don’t have huge amounts, I would advise to not wait too long if you are interested in getting one. We are currently sending out messages to everyone who has showed interest to get one, be it via our support-team or by signing up to get notification via our shop.

Although we have let down many of our customers by letting wait so long for they were available again, we are still pretty proud that we managed to get a batch in the Netherlands, for all the reasons described in an earlier mentioned blog post. We still see it as an achievement, looking at the small amount requested for a relatively old product - which for smartphone industry standards the FP1 is.

7 Likes

Indeed, this is pretty awesome. As so many commenters above I hardly believed you guys would succeed and started looking for a new phone from any regular manufacturer. To cut a long story short, I didn’t find what I was looking for. Hence I am more than happy that I can replace my cracked screen after a bit more than half a year of waiting. Sincerely, I appreciate your efforts!

3 Likes

hello michiel
about the new FP1 display being available… does FP happen to have a tool for group orders such that if we are a certain number to want to arrange the delivery in the same place at the same time, we can each pay online by ourselves with some code valid only until some deadline and whatever has been ordered under it by the deadline gets confirmed and sent together to one same place ? that would be awesome ! i’m sure we are a number of people in my city (paris) to be ready to order their new display… cheers, and thanks for the reply !

Hey @cazeph, unfortunately we don’t have such a tool available. Our webshop capabilities are pretty limited, and to prevent a run on the limited batch of displays we now have available you can only buy one unit per customer. There are for example repair shops who would love to buy 20 at once!

To still be able to facilitate to your wish, we would need to create manual orders, for which we unfortunately currently simply don’t have the time/capacity to do so. I’m sorry to disappoint you!

The screens now seem to be sold out. I didn’t received the notification email and only found out they were on sale when I received an email asking me what I thought of your customer service. This email had attached to it the notification email. I’m pretty unhappy about this, is my only option now to pay much more to send my phone to be fixed at Fairphone?
Thanks.

Wow, the 900 displays are sold out again after such a short time??? :astonished: This is really unfortunate!

It seems you need to continue waiting… :frowning:

1 Like

Well…here we go again, the screens are sold out and batteries still are nowhere to be seen.

:frowning: :frowning: :frowning:

Dear Fairphone, what would it take to be able to keep using my FP1 ??
Payment in advance for batteries and screens ? Sign me up !

By now it`s clear the Fairphone company severely underestimated their customers desire to repair the damn things themselves.
You know, to acually fullfill one of the premises of the Fairphone concept…

Again, dear Fairphone company : PLEASE take note and don`t let this happen again… your customers actually WANT a repairable phone AND are willing to accept this may not be the cheapest option.
How much more proof then selling out 900 screens in 5 days do you need ?

1 Like

When you mention that FP1 is relatively old for mobile phone is there no possibility to get used screens from companies who collect smartphones?

1 Like

Are you kidding me?
I’m so mad. I’m waiting for over 6 months now to order a new display.
You said that you would inform the customers (didnt receive an e-mail) and now the screens are already sold out?
SERIOUSLY?
I just cant believe it.
I was one of the crowdfounders and this is how you reward these people.
Great job guys!