FP restarts when using Nova Launcher

Hi,

I have a problem with my Fairphone 2 running Fairphone open 18.01.1

I have Google Apps Mini installed (open_gapps-arm-6.0-mini-20180120) and tried using the Nova Launcher as default launcher.

However I recognized several (unpredictable) reboots of the FP, i.e. it suddenly hangs with the screen not reacting to any user interaction for ~1-3 sec. then the phone turns black and reboots.
So far I could reproduce the issue only with Nova as default launcher. When I’m just running Nova (not setting is default) I have not seen any reboots (test range is ~1 day so not representative).

The reboots occurred rather randomly anywhere between every few minutes to after a few hours. No matter what kind of user interaction is currently running.

Sorry I cannot provide any more details at this point, but I haven’t figured out any sustainable mechanism behind it so far.

I really appreciate help on this.

Thanks
Fabian

Usually I’d direct you to the #rebootsguide, but you seem to already have found the culprit, so what you can try is: clear cache and data of nova launcher (in settings -> apps), reinstall the app or if that doesn’t work just find another launcher.

Thanks for the suggestions.

I tried reinstalling the app, but it did not help at all.

I have at least an assumption:

• I did check the permissions of Nova launcher and turn on Phone access (I don’t know why it was disabled by default)
  • So far I was never asked for any permissions by the system regarding Nova Launcher
  • However it feels like after granting the permission, the reboot count reduces (I say feel, because I just have run it for 2 days with still 2 reboots, but not a reboot every 2-3 hour)

So I’m a bit confused, I would assume being ask if a permissioin is missing.

And afterall I’m a bit disappointed by Fairphone Open, as I would expect from a stable OS that it does not triggered into reboots by a standard App (without root permission)

Have you tried nova launcher with standard FP OS so you can assum it’s OOS’s fault?

I did not install FP OS, as one of my reasons for Fairphone was the offer to use a free Android version, which is officially provided and tested.

In fact I’m an engineer myself, so I’m keen on understanding and helping to fix any issues, but I also simply want to use my phone and not spending my time debugging it.

IMHO a OS must never run into any reboots by an App, everything else should be considered as a bug which must be fixed.

And then there’s also reality :slight_smile:
The Android solution to the problem is to try the next most Nova-like launcher around.
I agree that it is a sad state of affairs, but it is Android. There must have been a reason for you to choose it.

This topic was automatically closed 183 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.