The discourse platform is setup for a number of different access levels for community members. You can access different levels by participating in the community.
This topic explains the levels and how to achieve them (these may be revised from time to time).
NOTE: In your first 24 hours you will be restricted to 3 posts per Topic regardless of your Access Level. This is a anti-SPAM feature of the forum platform. After 24 hours this restriction is removed.
New User (Access Level 0):
This access level is given to all new users as they are still learning about the community and the way the forum works. Advanced functionality is hidden, therefore users with this access level cannot:
- Send private messages to other users
- Reply as new topic in the right gutter (UI removed)
- Flag posts
- Post any images
- Post any attachments
- Post more than 2 hyperlinks in a post
- Have actual links in the 'about me' field of their profile (will be silently and temporarily converted to plain text)
- Mention more than 2 users in a post
Basic User (Access Level 1):
If a user sticks around long enough to read a little bit, Discourse trusts them as a basic user and unlocks more advanced features such as posting images. This level of access can be achieved by doing the following:
- entered at least 5 topics
- read at least 30 posts
- spent a total of 10 minutes reading posts
Users at trust level 1 can...
- use all core Discourse functions
- Upload images and attachments if enabled
- Edit wiki posts
- Flag posts
- have all new user restrictions removed
Member (Access Level 2):
Regular Users keep coming back to the site, they're the folks you see around a lot. If basic users are part time users, regulars are full time users. They come back often enough that you know you'll see them again soon -- they actively participate and we trust them. You can achieve this level by doing the following:
- visiting at least 15 days, not sequentially
- casting at least 1 like
- receiving at least 1 like
- replying to at least 3 different topics
- entering at least 20 topics
- reading at least 100 posts
- spend a total of 60 minutes reading posts
Users at trust level 2 can...
- Use the "Invite others to this topic" button for one-click onboarding of new users to participate in topics
- Invite outside users to PMs making a group PM
Regular User (Access Level 3)
Leaders are some of the most active and prolific contributors. They set a positive example for the community through their actions and their posts. This level of access can be achieved by ensuring all of these are true:
This is time and activity based, unlike the previous levels. In the last 100 days...
- must have visited at least 50% of days
- must have replied to at least 10 different topics
- of topics created in the last 100 days, must have viewed 25%
- of posts created in the last 100 days, must have read 25%
- must not have received more than 5 spam or offensive flags (with unique posts and unique users for each, confirmed by a moderator)
Users at trust level 3 can...
- recategorize and rename topics
- have all their links followed