Flashlight turns off automatically

I know that it is not a solution as it may not suit everyone’s will, but it still good to know that switching your FP5 to eOS (or /e/) would restore a normal flashlight behavior.

1 Like

Hello,
I got mine FairPhone5 like a week, and my LED light is on till I switched it off, even longer than 5 minutes.
Cheers, Dan

Hello, which version of software are you running?

I am on FP5.TT40.A.131.20231130 and it still turns off on its own.

2 Likes

Hi Meaghan,
My phone has this one: FP5.TT40.A.131.20231130
I tried it before lunch, and after non stop lighting about 8 minutes I switched it off. Phone was in top position, not laying on the back, just for info.
Dan

Thanks for checking:)

So then your phone has some kind of bug, because the flashlight is programmed to turn off after 4 Minutes and mine as well is still doing this with the recent A.131 update.
Or are you rooted and/or using some special app or settings?

1 Like

There is a feature request open, so most likely no high priority

Hi Yvmuell,
This feature on phones (LED back light) is for me as well quite usefull, and I like it and use it.
I tried it now again, and 13 minutes no problem, clear continuous light. Then I switch it off. I have stock FairPhone5, with built number as I wrote earlier. No root, no modifications. I only install several applications (off line dictionaries, Navigator, book and manuals reading, whatsup, VLC for movies and that’s it). Phone works perfectly, quick, smooth. I use WiFi and very little mobile data from my local provider. I also have one microSIM and also one eSIM, using both phone numbers in same time and works perfectly, no issues.
Cheers

Are we really talking about the same thing?

The flashlight/torch (topic here) on the FP5 should turn off after some Minutes, thats a fact and if yours isnt doing it and you havent set up smething like @k3dAR you have a bug on your phone (even if you like it).

However the flashlight hasnt anything to do with LED Blacklight?

:slight_smile:

eah, we are talking about same stuff, I maybe call it wrongly…:slight_smile:

I just notice my error: you said back light not black light :upside_down_face: Sorry…

That app does not change anything for me, so most likely it works for you as you are rooted?

I didnt change any settings in the app beside switching Flashlight to never…

Overall that would be in line with findings that other apps cant influence it

Fairphone still didn’t change this isu.

i have nothing new but i expect Fairphone is reading this form as well?!?!

so hopefully it will put just a little bit of pressure.

i agree its dangerous. i had to carry a extra light white my for this reason.

i did buy this phone in a hurry du to my trusted OnePlus 6 started giving up.

when you live in rural areas with no stable energy grid, my sounds strange but i like to go to those please on purpose.

if the moon is not up a small light is only thing that helps you staying away from poison animals and plants.

i did get in risky situations du to the light switching of on really bad moments.

i didn’t bring a different light first time i washed expecting this behavior from the software.

now i know i need to take a normal light as well.

about the timing, i never checked the time of the light but its feels like its random to my, it feels much longer than 5 minutes most times.

please and the options to the software to switch off auto switch off.

Sure not need root, root (or without set adb mode) is need only for working buttons when lcd is off.

Anyway, not sure if understand, after you set timeout to never, you also assign some button to flashlight and turn on flashlight via this button?

ButtonMapper via never timeout option not change system wide behaviour (ex. for activating via tile), only for flashlight activated via ButtonMapper

1 Like

As I said I didnt use any other setting, as I dont want it.

I will give a another try, thanks for explaining

Edit: with screen on and vol button assigned to flashlight it stays on for more than 5 Min, so in cases when need a Flasglight for longer time I can use this.

No you cant expect that FP is reading here and forum topics are not to put pressure.

If you want to add your voice to this feature request, contactsupport

Please see the workaround explained above.

3 Likes

I mapped the flashlight as described above in the thread which has been great. It is frustrating though that fairphone is copping out about this. Here’s a reply that I received about the problem after submitting the ticket months ago. It is clearly a cop out. I searched online and could not find other phones that do this. Come on fairphone, fix this bug:

Thank you for your patience.

I have some new information to share with you.

During our internal investigation, we concluded the decision to automatically disable the flashlight/torch after a certain amount of time is a conscious choice to avoid overheating and excessive power drain. Other smartphone manufacturer’s have a similar implementation.

1 Like

Please reply to your ticket to tell them.

I told them, that they should at least re-think the time-span as 4 minutes is just rudiculious and I had it on with the mentioned app for an hour without heating or tremendous battery drain.

1 Like

Hi all,
I also reported through Fairphone support (email), that this kind of time-out is really bad and also dangerous.
I told them, that people could use this also in cellars or some other places where can be issue with light and use the torch (flash light) on our smartphone to be able to see. And in case you also need free both hands, you can place the phone in position that you can (lie partialy, so that light can shine, or lean on…) and when phone automaticaly switch off the torch you will be not able to grab the phone and switch the torch on aggain.
Or, ať least if they are so worried, to put some additional settings for extended time period.

I received reply from Fairphone that this issue is on their to-do list. I hot this reply on 9.FEB.2024.

So lets see, if there will be some progress.

Cheers,
Dan

5 Likes

“workaround” (in quotes, as for me is much better switch via button than need pull down notify, find and tap to Flashlight Tile) i write above, on this link i also write about if anyone need safe light for danger place/use, then phone is sure not right tool, but and only headlight… as you from Czech, then sure look at HM51R… :wink: