Fingerprint sensor disabled

My Fairphone 3+ does not recognise its fingerprint sensor anymore since its recent security update. It has had this problem on and off since I bought it two years ago. Some security updates restore its functionality; others eliminate it. I got a new security update on Android 11 a week ago and the finger print sensor (which worked fine) was immediately eliminated. It is also removed from the security (Beveiliging) part of the settings (Instellingen) menu. Software-wise it does not seem to exist anymore. This is like with earlier security updates. Does anyone have a diagnosis and hopefully remedy? (PS - I am a non-technical user!)

Hi and welcome to the forum.

You can do a hardware test for this as well as many other items.

Dial *#*#66#*#* the Services tests > Test Single > Fingerprint Test

If you are up to looking inside the phone the module is part of the core module, which ‘should’ not be ‘played’ with whilst there is a valid warranty.

For a disassembly and breakdown guide see the link below, but again note: If you have a valid warranty contact support @ fairphone first

Dear Amoun,

I tried this test. After clicking the ‘Test’ button, the response is: ‘finger_result.txt is not exist’. What do you make of this?

Thank you, Marc van Wegberg

| amoun
December 23 |

• | - |

Hi and welcome to the forum.

You can do a hardware test for this as well as many other items.

Dial *#*#66#*#* the Services tests > Test Single > Fingerprint Test

If you are up to looking inside the phone the module is part of the core module, which ‘should’ not be ‘played’ with whilst there is a valid warranty.

For a disassembly and breakdown guide see the link below, but again note: If you have a valid warranty contact support @ fairphone first

iFixit – 11 Sep 19

Fairphone 3 Teardown

“All good things come in threes” is what the…

Hi here is a screen shot if I test for the Fingerprint by dialling and the Service tests

It could well be a loose sensor, or a faulty one. If you have a #fairphoneangel near you they may be able to help, but it not quite the best time of the year to visit people etc.

Dear Amoun,

thank you for the reply. So there is a hardware problem? No connection to software, given the link with software updates?

I’ll see by your link if I can find a nearby angel. It should be the best period of the year for angels, you know!

Thanks, Marc van Wegberg

1 Like

That’s always difficult to know and a whole new installation of the OS would help know that, but that means you may loose data and it’s a fair amount of work.

A factory reset may help but a) you will loose any data you do not back up and b) It will only reset the last proper OS i.e. A11

To make it a bit clearer probably: it will not touch at all the OS and just delete all user data, so if caused by the recent update, it will not help

Hi Amoun and Yvonne,

thanks for clarifying.

I did actually do a full system reset at one point. I was dealing with crashes of my Fairphone which resulted from trying to use the fingerprint sensor (= crashes that stopped if I disabled the fingerprint sensor). If this would be my only option, I might try again.

If this is a hardware problem, then I better ask someone to look inside. Do you know if this is doable? Just to know if this is a worthwhile route to follow.

Thank you for the support, so late in the day and in the month!

Marc

Looking inside is not the issue.

As I said, if you don’t have a valid warranty then see the IFixIt teardown.

All you can do is remove and clean the fingerprint sensor and while you are at it all other contacts.

The fingerprint sensor is not a user buyable part and comes only with an expensive repair by replacing the core module € 210 + Post etc.

Only someone with a ‘spare’ sensor and time could eliminate other factors.

Hi Amoun,

okay, I now see the iFixit link - had ignored that the reference to iFixit was a link. Now I see there is a lot of info.

Thanks, Marc

| amoun
December 23 |

• | - |

Looking inside is not the issue.

As I said, if you don’t have a valid warranty then see the IFixIt teardown.

All you can do is remove and clean the fingerprint sensor and while you are at it all other contacts.

The fingerprint sensor is not a user buyable part and comes only with an expensive repair by replacing the core module € 210 + Post etc.

Only someone with a ‘spare’ sensor and time could eliminate other factors.

Support

FP3(+) Repair price list and FAQ - Cordon

These prices are for repairs that are not covered by our warranty and performed by our Service Center. This price list is not comprehensive and shall be updated over time. The repair center is loc…

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.