Finalising the setup wizard without consenting to Google's TOS

In my eyes both is silly and not reasonable and watching such situatuons make me think of a 5-year old lying on the supepermarket floor, crying and shouting because his mother does not want to by him whatever he wants.
Although I doubt Fairphones answer will make you happy, lets wait what they say. And then if you dont want to use it, instead of having it lying around unused, give it away to someone who would love to buy and use it, but doesn’t have the money.

3 Likes

You seem to be saying you can uninstall Google once you agree to the initial terms, which is the same as the above ???

Maybe you misunderstood Yvmuell i.e you can once you have agreed, which from my experience on the FP3 was done before I had connected, so not an issue.

Then you should not buy an Android phone.

Best wishes,
Thomas

2 Likes

You certainly can’t mean that all, even “degoogled”, Android OSes still have most of their code written by Google because Google is the steward of and main contributor to AOSP, on which all, even “degoogled”, Android OSes are based?
That could potentially be unsettling for the general public :slight_smile: .

1 Like

It is completely baffling to me that this thread still keeps on going.

I bought my Fairphone 4 with the awareness that it would ship with Google Services running on a Google developed OS by default, but I also knew I could just buy one from /e/ without Google Services preinstalled. I chose not to, because I’m a pragmatist (and wanted my phone sooner).

So this…

… is just wrong.

You could have bought a phone from /e/ that is developed in cooperation with Fairphone and does exactly what you want. I’m pretty sure OnePlus doesn’t offer that option to you (not to mention the fair part they won’t either).

No one in this thread works at Fairphone, but you still keep repeating the same points over and over again as if that would somehow change the situation at hand.
If you aren’t happy with your purchase decision, please contactsupport and talk to someone who can actually do something about it.

11 Likes

Given that there’s so much mixed information regarding e.foundation online, I reached out and asked a couple of questions. Their devices do indeed ship multiple programs that talk to Google out of the box. I’ve no idea what their interpretation of “deGoogled” and “unGoogled” is, but it’s definitely not what I assumed it was.

I’ve reached out to support – although they took a while to reply they’ve been very straightforward in replying all concerns and offered a refund, given that they don’t offer the product that I interpreted they offered.

try the others for FP4
iodé
calyxOS

Which ones? Or didn’t they say?

(I was surprised they already released App Lounge, their new App store integrating Aurora Store-like direct access to the Play Store, in the apparent state it is in to the dev channel, but the /e/OS stable channel will not get it for now, and its not mandatory to use it anyway.)

1 Like

I agree to what you are looking for, WhyNotHugo, and also for teezeh´s answer.
Let me bring in even one more quote:

Change is in your hands!

@WhyNotHugo :
If you don´t like to automatically agree to any of such dark pattern agreements that even lack a opt-out for a user (indeed opt-in is much more what we are looking for … :wink: ) then you shouldn´t point at any mobile phone manufacturer for that they ship a piece of software-OS within their hardware product which includes such methods … at least if you really want to make a change.

You got to dig a bit deeper since this complaint better should go to the ones that (intentionally :thinking:) created the mess: Google

If you think it´ll be a damn hard ‘David vs. Goliath’ if you -all alone- send Google a message instructing & convincing them to change their whole OS within this aspect …

→ why don´t you contact your local/county´s Data Protection Agency instead ?

Report to them and by that: enable & support them with your voice to start/strenghten campaings & take such actors to court

That´s a much better approach from my POV

There are several claims already ongoing against Google and the other ‘bad’ guys; in several countries/regions all over the world (at least several EU countries seem to be vanguard within this actually).
The people in these agencies literally earn their money by waiting for people like us to raise our voices - but in most cases you/we got to make the first move: raise your voice … before expecting change

Support them if you really want to make a change.

Best
DonFnord

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Hi,

I just received my brand new Fairphone 4. So I tuned it on, and followed the required steps:

• Start => ok
  • Insert a sim => Skip (I’ll do that later)
  • Copy apps & data => Don’t copy
  • Sign with your Google account => No thank you (skip)
  • Are you sure you don’t want to share all your private data with Google => Yes, I’m pretty sure…
  • Accept Google ToS? => Mandatory step.

WTF? I refused every step involving Google and disabled everything (location, scanning, diagnostic data). And I still have to accept Google Terms of Service? Why?

I don’t intend to use anything from Google (except Android obviously, since Lineage will probably not be available any time soon). Will my beloved Fairphone send my personal data behind my back? Why is it google-infested by default and why have we no other out-of-the-box alternative?

I don’t suppose I can revoke anything once accepted (except by installing Lineage OS)?

This is very disappointing. I don’t remember having that mandatory step with my previous Fairphone 2. That said maybe my memory is not that good.

Yes, you’ve to accept it at least once (or you send it back and buy an FP4 from /e/OS or iodéOS). Then you can OEM unlock and install a custom ROM…
An extensive discussion about this question can be found here: Finalising the setup wizard without consenting to Google's TOS

5 Likes

Install iodeOS and be happy

The point is that apparently you can’t install an alternative OS without getting through the initial setup first, including consent to the Google TOS.
@Volker already gave the correct answer. To stay with your iodéOS example, you would have to buy the phone with iodéOS already installed to get around the issue, if you perceive it as a real issue, which not everybody does.

Edit: I reopened this older topic and moved some posts over here to avoid duplicate topics.
@theocrite and @AlphaElwedritsch: Feel free to have a look at the past discussion here and continue.

4 Likes

I found this post trying to avoid agreeing that “…this device may also automatically download and install updates and apps from Google…”. I’d like to add my voice to those of @WhyNotHugo and @theocrite, rather than pass on silently. Thanks to Don for their considered reply. For me the impact on myself of accepting Google’s ToS is outweighed by the supply chain benefits of supporting Fairphone, but I’m not happy about the situation.