🇬🇧 🇩🇪 Federal Warning Day Germany / Bundesweiter Warntag Deutschland

As there is Federal Warning Day in Germany today (Bundesweiter Warntag, see https://warnung-der-bevoelkerung.de/) which is organized by the Federal Civil Protection Agency BBK, I am curious whether Cell Broadcast worked for those of you using a Fairphone in Germany.

Who receieved the alert and what phone, OS and provider are you using? The Cell Broadcast alert was sent at 11 am.

Unfortunately, I did not receive the alert. I have a Fairphone 4 and am running the most recent version of CalyxOS (4.3.2). I had Cell Broadcast (Notfallbenachrichtigung) activated in the settings, including test warnings. My provider is fraenk (a substitute of congstar/Deutsche Telekom).

6 Likes

My FP4 running CalyxOS and the one of a family member running stock FPOS didn’t receive a warning either. Both with 2 congstar SIMs each.

Everything enabled, including test warnings :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

Hi, just wanted to share my experience with FP3 during the test of civil warnings today 11am in Germany:

• Cell broadcast: A pop-up message appeared, but no sound, so easy to miss
  • FP3 latest SW, on network and WiFi, no silent mode / flight mode, USB charging connected (no battery saver mode)
  • 10min later the app KatWarn played a loud siren sound - better but late
  • My iPhone from work played the loud sound on time, when the cell broadcast came in
  • (No outside siren in my village, although the one for fire alerts is operable…)

Any idea why the cell broadcast was silent on my FP3?
What did others experience?

2 Likes

Sounds pretty much like the behavior of my FP2 (latest FPOS), however my phone was in silent mode (and since I was in a meeting it was hard to distinguish which phone made noise and which not :wink: ).
The interesting point is that the screen stayed on until I confirmed the two dialog boxes (page 1 and 2, in two languages) which is good for attention but takes quite some energy if you don’t notice it immediately (which brings us to the question about the sound).
Edit: Cell Broadcast was received at 10:59 and was exactly at the same time for all mobiles in the room. Network: Telefonica/O2

4 Likes

FP3+ running /e/OS 1.6-S (Android 12), providers: WEtell (SIM1) and ALDItalk (SIM2)

Got the cell broadcast message at 11 am sharp. NINA as well (of course only once I activated internet connectivity :wink: ). Last but not least: Sirens! (fortunately we have them here for many years uninterrupted)

Other than the sirens, no sounds either, but my phone was on vibration only. Interesting to see what cell broadcast can do on our phones without explicit authorization (keep screen alit, but not audio alerts?).

I’ll submit my experience at

www.warntag-umfrage.de

(this link should be shown in NINA, too).

P.S.: I’ve allowed myself to merge the two topics.

5 Likes

FP4 with Drillisch SIMs and latest FPOS showed a warning notifications on the lock screen (sound was off). Company IPhone SE with Telekom SIM no warning at all.

Maybe Telekom didnt participate😉

How to enable? Thought this would work “out of the box”?

3 Likes

Warning received: YES, at 11:00
Where: Bonn, Germany
Phone: FP 3+
Provider: T-Mobile
No warning App installed

3 Likes

At least for iPhones, test warnings seem to be disabled by default on some (or all?) devices (a co-worker of mine checked before 11 am and all cell broadcast warnings were enabled, except test warnings). On iOS, the setting is at the very bottom under Settings > Notfications. On CalyxOS (Android 13), I searched “Notfall” in settings, which gives the option “Notfallbenachrichtigung für Mobilgeräte”. There I had to enable test warnings.

2 Likes

It was a real alert, not a test alert, i.e. with test alerts “off” you still got the alarm. Test alerts are for provider specific tests.

I received a popup message plus loud alarm on both FP4 (Congstar) and FP3 (Alditalk prepaid) with stock ROM. The FP3 was in flight mode at 11:00, the alarm went off the second I disabled flight mode.

4 Likes

Some volunteer fire department tested theirs at eight, but when they should have worked, nothing :see_no_evil:
We have a regular test on the first Saturday of each month and all the sirens in town join in, that usually works just fine …

Thanks for that link, will do the same :+1:

5 Likes

My FP3 with stock FPOS (AldiTalk) got the message one minute before 11 o’clock. With sound and everything. And it was before and after in silent mode.
I also got a just silent Message from Nina.

2 Likes

It was a real alert, not a test alert, i.e. with test alerts “off” you still got the alarm. Test alerts are for provider specific tests.

Thanks for the info, didn’t know that!

Edit:

The FP3 was in flight mode at 11:00, the alarm went off the second I disabled flight mode.

Also good to know that one can receive the alert even when they are not connected at the moment the message is tried to be broadcasted first. Out of curiosity, at which time did you disable flight mode/how many minutes after 11 am?

1 Like

found this on Heise for Iphones and I had 16.0.2 installed and there was nothing under Notifications. I update to 16.1.2 now…checked the FP4 now and had everything enabled except test

Edit: after updating the IPhone I have the settings and it was all enabled except test. The update is from 30.11 so maybe a bit short before this test, to publish this (not sure if other provider had it earlier).

Die drei neuen Schalter sind in den Einstellungen für “Mitteilungen” ganz unten zu finden. Eingeführt wurden sie mit den iOS-Versionen 16 und 15.7.1, sodass auch ältere iPhones Cell Broadcast-Warnungen unterstützen werden. Freigeschaltet wurden die neuen Schalter durch Netzbetreiber-Einstellungen, die meist im Hintergrund geladen werden. Ob diese schon vorliegen, kann unter Allgemein und Info in den Einstellungen im Feld “Netzbetreiber” nachgelesen werden. Bei iOS 16.1 muss es sich um Version 52.0 oder später handeln, bei iOS 15.7.1 ist es mindestens Version 50.0.1.

1 Like

On iOS, the setting is at the very bottom under Settings > Notfications . On CalyxOS (Android 13), I searched “Notfall” in settings, which gives the option “Notfallbenachrichtigung für Mobilgeräte”. There I had to enable test warnings.

Thanks Cosmic.
Indeed on both my FP3 and my iPhone SE, test warnings were turned off. Only the iPhone made noise, and as someone said the alert wasn’t flagged as “test”…
Maybe it was due to my FP3’s “media volume” being set to zero? That shouldn’t be the cause, but maybe it was… we need more such tests!

I can’t really say, maybe 5min or 10min.
Definitely less than 49min (time of my post above) :laughing:

2 Likes

Also bei meinem FP3 blieb leider auch alles ruhig :frowning: , obwohl die Lautstärke nicht auf Minimum stand. Nur NINA hat mit einer normalen Push-Nachricht (blinkende LED) um 11 gemeldet, dass heute Warntag ist. Finde ich schon sehr merkwürdig? Alle meine Bekannten (vor allem mit Apple) haben intensivste Warnungen (optisch und akustisch) bekommen. Kann es evtl. auch am Telefon-Provider liegen?
Grüße
Peter

Da spielen sicher viele Aspekte mit rein und ja, Provider sicher auch sowie Ort/Bundesland.
Auf Social Media hab ich diverse Rückmeldungen gesehen und ich bin mir nicht sicher, ob man das klar einer Ursache zuordnen kann, wenn was nicht ging. Daher finde ich auch die Umfrage recht sinnvoll, um da belastbarere Aussagen zu bekommen.

1 Like

Mein FP3 mit FPOS hat ganz ordnungsgemäß gewarnt, Vodafone Deutschland Prepaid in Köln.

Da ich zu der Zeit in einer Besprechung war, waren meine Kollegen am Arbeitsplatz ziemlich genervt, weil es einfach nicht aufhörte :slight_smile:.

No Cell Broadcasts received here,
FP3+, FPOS with most recent update, Deutsche Telekom.

Additional info: neither did my wife get anything here on her iPhone 8 & Deutsche Telekom.

Same here, Congstar (eSIM), CalyxOS 4.3.2 and all related settings were enabled. Didn’t get a warning.