Fairphone OS 17.05.2 (Android 6.0) is now available

Hi all,

Fairphone OS 17.05.2 (Android 6.0) is now available. Open the built-in Fairphone Updater app on your device to start the installation process.

What’s new

• Stability improvements

• Fixed the proximity sensor calibration data not taken into account

• Fixed Android navigation bar overlapping the navigation bar of certain apps (e.g. Snapchat)

• Fixed incorrect display of a long lock screen message

• Fixed incorrect Wi-Fi MAC address in the Checkup tool

• Added Google Duo app for (video) calling

• Security fixes (Android Public Security Bulletin from May, 2017-05-01 security patch level)

Having issues with the update? Visit the public Fairphone Bugtracker to see if the issue is listed there, otherwise you can create a bug report. The Dev team will regularly check and update the bugtracker.

12 Likes

Hey friends,

I just checked the updater app and saw that another update is available! :slight_smile:

I’m wondering: Has anyone already updated to the new version and where is the commonly posted official announcement with the changelog? :hushed:

This might have escaped into the wild before the software team have got to the forum. We’ve been testing in Beta for a week or so now.

So what is your opinion, update or not? :confused:

If it’s live, it will have been through the google certification process so it should be safe to update. The beta worked well and has fixed a couple of bugs along the way.

You can just wait until tomorrow when they’ll no doubt get the official details out :wink:

2 Likes

I’ll have to wait anyway because my battery needs charging. :grin:

1 Like

This is not funny anymore! :rage: This “escaped” update brought again a bootloop and I had to reset my FP2 again.

This may help to avoid the bootloop:

2 Likes

To be fair it wouldn’t have mattered of this escaped or not, you’d have had this issue. Although I was under the understanding that if you had the latest version of the Fairphone updater app installed you wouldn’t get this problem.

So which version of FP OS were you on before the update and have you checked if there is an update in the play store for the updater?

I updated. Went totally smooth and much quicker, than I expected.

2 Likes

Yes we were a bit slow to post the release notes today.
Rick handles that but he was not here and I forgot… :confounded:

The update is officially released, do not fear to update (but please be aware of the boot-looping situation):

The June’s update will feature a fix for that though.

11 Likes

Thank you for the infos, @borjan! :slight_smile:

I updated without any problems. Thank you for your work and effort, #TeamFairphone. :relaxed:

2 Likes

Fairphone OS 17.04.8

Yesterday, yes. When I switched on WiFi today there was the Updater App telling me of a new Update and as I have told here:

At least until now Fairphone pretended to be sorry for the mess they do … This was the second time I had to reset my phone because of an “escaped” update.

I’m not sure I understand… The updates don’t install automatically. I would generally recommend not just accepting any update without reading the change log. And especially not if you’d experienced a boot loop the last time you updated.

Anyhow let’s hope it is truly fixed and not just a workaround next time

2 Likes

Well, I got notified by the last official productive updater app (beta mode) that I had my Google App disabled and update would work only if it was enabled and directly offered me to open the appropriate settings. After doing so, all went well. Thanks @borjan :slight_smile:

I disagree. Updates should be so trustworthy that users can install them – without fear. Should users waste their time by checking changelogs and forums for side effects before installing every update?

Note that you will not receive the benefits of an update if you do not install it. And an update normally does not make things worse.

I only recommend not installing an update if it makes severe problems. But new severe problems are normally not in the changelog, this can only be found out by checking the forums. In the case of experiencing severe problems, you can check changelog/forums before updating whether these problems are gone so you can save the undo of the update afterwards.

4 Likes

Just installed – no problems. But no advantages, too? :wink:

1 Like

Depends :wink: .

2 Likes

Where can I find the change log. I updated today without problems, but I do not find any change log on the fairphone page, nor in the phone´s app,
thx for info,
Dominik

You can find the release notes for Fairphone OS 17.05.2 here:

1 Like