Fairphone Open OS 16.05

I started the update through the updater.
I had Fairphone Open OS with OpenGapps ARM 5.1 pico (12 apps from google) And I have rooted my Fairphone.

The update seemed to go okay.
Google suddenly wanted to optimising 125 apps, it succeeded, screen with loading, and then as in a loop
Android suddenly wanted to optimising 123 apps (=two apps less), it succeeded, screen with loading, and then as in a loop
Android suddenly wanted to optimising 123 apps, it succeeded, screen with loading, and then as in a loop
Android suddenly wanted to optimising 123 apps, it succeeded, screen with loading, and then as in a loop

During the loading for the … time I pressed 15sec on the power, now I have a startscreen with the words Fairphone and waiting, and yes Android suddenly wanted to optimising 123 apps.
Now I will remove the battery.
Battery back in again.
Normal Fairphone screen.
And yes, there’s the Android wanting to optimising 40 apps this time.
It succeeded, screen with loading, and then as in a loop Android suddenly wanted to optimising 123 apps
Remove the battery again.
Pressing power and volume up. In TWRP I choose restore. Yes, that works.
disable root.
Trying the update again. Same trouble, android gets in a loop.
Pressing power and volume up. In TWRP I choose restore.
Finally back to 16.04 Open OS.
Luckely I did a backup (Titanium) so I could restore the important data.

2 Likes

Use this:

repo init -b refs/tags/FP2-open-16.05.0
repo sync

… to check out the newly tagged source code.

1 Like

For me the update went smooth, location in energy saving mode works again. Will check GPS when I’m outside, no chance activating it in the house in living in
First impression is very good!

Well, I don’t know, so hereby I’m asking. :wink: Are @jochensp’s commands what you meant? Moreover, I don’t really understand this whole “branches” thing. Does it mean that I’ll have the sources for different OS versions available after pulling and need to choose the one I want before compiling? Any explanation is highly appreciated. :slight_smile:

@Lidwien
Have you tried to wipe the cache using twrp?

1. I had to clear Dalvik Cache and Cache partition.
  2. Sideload again opengapps.org package.
  3. reboot and then worked fine for me.
3 Likes

If you already have a build tree (=sources synced) you don’t have to init the whole thing again. Go into the directory <build-tree>/.repo/manifests/ and run git fetch and then git checkout FP2-open-16.05.0. Then just repo sync again and it should fetch the sources from the new tag (I think ;)).

Just installed the update via Recovery, all went well. Even µgUnifiedNlp finally works! :smiley:

I had the same problem as @Lidwien. I had to download the latest OpenGAPPS package before step 2 worked, but now it works. Thanks a lot! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

This time the update did not work for me.
Tried using the updater app, as well as downloading the the file manually and start it from amaze.

Both times I saw a couple of error messages in TWRP, particularly regarding not being able to mount partitions (e.g. data). Maybe because it is encrypted?

Wiped cache, tried again no luck.
Next week (while traveling) I will continue to use 16.04, will try updating again when I am back home.
First time on my FP2 the update didn’t work. Maybe because I am still on the 16.04RC?

Worked for me too, thanks a lot! Only some app icons where deleted.

Same situation here (encrypted user data, error messages in TWRP) - but the upgrade went just fine. So there must be another reason…

Just to confirm - Bluetooth Audio fixed. Enjoying Spotify in my beaten old Toyota… :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I followed your suggestion, also from @maba007.
Installed Open OS 16.05 and reboot.
The phone started as normal. I checked, yes I have installed update 16.05
O no, :rage: Again the screen says Loading and the whole crap starts again. I am in the loop again of Android optimising, loading etc.
So again I had to clear Dalvik Cache and Cache partition, reboot.
Now the phone starts normal, but all my icons and widgets are gone.
Oké, installing OpenGapps pico zip, TWRP can’t find OpenGapps pico, it’s in the storage instead of the sd-card.
Restarting the phone, trying to move OpenGapps pico zip to the sd-card. no permission.
Sd-card copy to computer, sd-card format in the phone, now I can move OpenGapps pico zip to the sd-card.
Restarting the phone, installing OpenGapps pico.
Restarting the phone, Installing Titanium Backup again.
enable Root, restore the whole lot.
And finally I can use my phone again.
What an exercise. But in the end I succeeded. :relieved: :joy:

3 Likes

Yes, my commands check out the newly tagged version.

Sadly not, but you can run the repo init in your current tree, no need to redownload. Hopfully Fairphone will fix the branches, so a repo sync should be enough.

1 Like

I have the same problem. Thank you for spelling out what you did. I will now try to follow your steps and get out of the boot-loop myself.

Could someone check if the clock still resets after reboots?

It’s not mentioned in the release notes, but I have a feeling it could be related to the previously missing

I’d test it myself, but my touchscreen currently doesn’t work after an unfortunate incident with the toilet… :droplet: :toilet:

It seems like it doesn’t do that anymore. Furthermore, my GPS works now and also the screen doesn’t flicker anymore. I’m very happy with this update! :slight_smile:

Edit: Sorry to hear about your incident! :frowning: I hope your phone recovers soon!

Edit2: Hey @paulakreuzer, after others reporting that the clock still resets on their phone I booted my phone on airplane mode and yes, it still does reset. Without airplane it just gets the info so quick that I couldn’t notice.

1 Like

For me the clock reset still happens. It looks like the time until the click is set is shorter now. Doesn’t happen all the time.
But, yes, great release, I’m also very happy with it!

2 Likes