Fairphone novelty (novelties?) to come on 30 September 2021

They could have told a little about the development, how they thought the phone, explaining and giving some insights, as they did (I think) for the FP2, instead of just keeping everything top secret until the release day and teasing people with empty sentences on their social networks, and making people speculate on leaks.
Would have been bad for marketing, probably, but much better for transparence. But well… Fairphone is a growing company and not just isolated idealists anymore (already with FP3 they changed).

6 Likes

I like the concept of Pine64, but even they develope most (if not all) of the hardware behind closed doors. Then they work with the community for drivers and software.
But yeah, the tesnsion is high. It kinda feels like a fanclub here :grin:

2 Likes

If they start to reveal details to early, people are complaining, that they have to wait so long, until the first phone are delivered. If they wait until production is running and people can hold it in their hands a few days later, they are complaining about not knowing anything in advance.
You can’t do it the rigth way.

6 Likes

I’m totally with @Incanus almost nobody is releasing details before release day / revel event. That would be like your mama telling you a few days before birthday what you will get and than still wrapping it in paper…just don’t make sense.
For sure there are leaks that help all the inpatient but most of them came by excitement and maybe some on purpose to help little fanboys / -girls to survive a month of not knowing.

And complaining about an one year old chip is really ridiculous. Especially in the times of chip shortage, container shortage and delivery problems.
Comparing to Samsung is not making sense either, as you compare David and Goliath. For sure Samsung can change plans faster, for sure Samsung can tell Qualcom to change such a big order as they are a big customer of them and will be served before small companies. FP needs to plan way ahead for own resources, to be queued up in line to receive chips - and maybe even to save a few bugs.
If you think about it, how should FP change all plans, do soft- and hardware changes, place a new order, start production and getting done in time just from may till September. Let’s be realistic that’s a huge thing.

And finally I don’t get this negativity. Ok I get that the specs are not good for you for any reason. But bringing FP in bad light, just because the device is not suiting you is ridiculous. They will go for the majority - and this is how many of the phones now-days come around. You may like it, you may don’t - but either way, it’s not changing the sense, loyalty, efficiency or what so ever of the FP company. Nobody is forcing you to buy the FP4.

So let’s be happy for them, they did such a big leap and that they are growing (at least till now), as this is bringing more fair products beneath the people.

12 Likes

I feel like attacked in your post so I would like to precise two things :

• I don’t complain about the one year old SoC if ever this is the right one but I said we cannot call the FP4 up to date in this case.

• All the phone makers who want to use a SoC have an idea about the release of the new ones in order they can release something up to date if they accept to pay more.

1 Like

Almost nobody builds modular smartphones :wink:
I mean, ok, they have to sell their phones, and they need to grow, I can fully understand, I personally just find it a bit disappointing how they do it. Changing the industry, a goal which they set themselves, also goes through changing marketing methods aso. And yes, I know, Fairphone can’t change everything and have to focus on important aspects, I just hope they have it as long term goal.

1 Like

Tomorrow is the big day. Fairphone will probably also announce a cooperation with Apple and Tesla. Who can say that in advance…?

Well, Google did it with the Pixel 6. I guess they grew tired of people leaking it. :sweat_smile:
Nevertheless, I agree, almost nobody would watch the event if Fairphone already revealed everything.

Those are not intentional leaks. The only intentional part is that they put one phone for display. It’s all marketing, even the “leaks” are perhaps to disrupt the attention towards the iPhone release.

Hey @Alain_Guillet I didn’t want to attack you personally - for me the discussion just went very negativ here. And sure there is a newer chip - but than it’s not uptodate for WIFI 6 Standards and so on either. I think if we compare it to the earlyer Fairphones - this is the first one, which can really catch up with the phones on market.
But as said, it wasn’t personally.

@Alex.A I agree this marketing campaign wasn’t the best. Just read (overflew) the yearly report the other day. Seeing this, shows, that they really trying to change the industries on that point. I think the early years, were for production and ressource reasons very important. The later years they startet (with the FP3+) a modular system, which I hope will be picked up with the new devices. And with the new devices, they finally try to build a phone, which can pick up with the phones on the market (spec. and design wise).
So yeah bad marketing campaign but I think they are on track with their overall goal.

@edj #word

@UPPERCASE maybe, maybe not. Could imagine, that the winfuture leaks are more or less intentionally. But we’ll never know. :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

https://mobile.twitter.com/rquandt/status/1443165168251412484#m
MicroSD is there😀

8 Likes

And only making use of e-SIM? Not bad. And, 2TB of Nextcloud synced data, here it comes! :stuck_out_tongue:

Looks to me like the USB port will be a very own standalone part (which seems a great move). :slight_smile:

3 Likes

The image in the post right above you shows a SIM slot above the MicroSD slot.

eSIM only would not really work as some operators (including mine) don’t offer an eSIM yet or only offer it for a few ‘supported’ phones. So I hope FP will keep this physical slot for the moment.

Not that I’m immediately planning to buy a phone if one gets released, though. I am still happy with my FP2.

2 Likes

Left from the selfie camera are sensors and LED?

1 Like

Ah yes, that’s what I mean. No dual SIM anymore, but eSIM now. Which is what I also have on my Pixel 3 for some years. It’s pretty convenient.

If the leaked details are correct and they use eSIM as the second SIM, and if the leaked exploded view is correct … they could have at least added some notion of the available eSIM above the SIM1 and Micro SD icons … People looking at pictures, going “What? No Dual SIM anymore?” in 3 … 2 … 1 … :slight_smile:

2 Likes

And by the way … did anyone already mention that the Twitter picture also allows to speculate that SIM and SD slot are in a new, replacable module? :slight_smile:

1 Like

It’s a bit strange it says “SIM 1”. But adding a logo for eSIM would also be strange. That’s software. For detailed information there is a release event, that’s tomorrow :slight_smile: Detailed specs will be on the website as well. But yeah, people will still freak out. If I can settle for a lower quality camera, no dual front stereo speakers and having a notch (bleh). Then other people can cope with losing a 3.5mm jack, extra SIM and whatnot. That’s life.

Probably just a light sensor, but who knows.