Fairphone novelty (novelties?) to come on 30 September 2021

There is also a proximity sensor at that spot in other phones. Whether there will be a LED, we will have to see - you can’t tell that from just a picture of the module’s back.

2 Likes

The internet tells me it’s embedded hardware.
Anyway, even if it would only be software, where’s the harm in mentioning that it’s there? It’s a functioning SIM2.

Hey, I posted these specs and pics at WinFuture.de. I swear this is not in any way a placed leak and FP likely hates me for this.

The big round thing next to the two 48 MP cams is where the laser autofocus / ToF / color sensor stuff resides.

2 Likes

Welcome to the forum @rquandt

and thanks for your presentation :slight_smile: but the link looks more like an advert for the site as it doesn’t link to any specs etc. ???

You can store more than one eSIM. Sure, it depends on some hardware. But I got my eSIM support via a software update, 1 year after the release of the Pixel 3. an eSIM is a software thingy you can just download and install. I don’t see why it should be on a module as if it’s something you can physically replace. But anyway, exciting stuff. Hopefully the camera isn’t that bad.

I would have thought if it was a replaceable module it would have been shown as separate piece not part of the core module ??

1 Like

He means he posted this

4 Likes

Still it has at least three screws (excluding the two that go through to the display) that are apparently shown “inviting” to be accessed. Plus it has a stylized symbol like the modules that are shown separately.

4 Likes

Just in case someone is looking for a link to the answer.

4 Likes

I will be really bummed if they’re not supporting a 3.5 mm jack. I love my FP3 and will need an upgrade in 1-2 years, but I’m not gonna buy a phone without a jack port. I rely on that too much to change everything to Bluetooth or carry a dongle everywhere
I can accept no sd card, although i don’t like not having one

1 Like

It’s pretty definite by now. There is an SD slot but no jack socket.

The option for a jack alternative is a usb adapter via a magnetic connection so as not to put extra strain on the usb port

2 Likes

Or buy a wired USB earbud the next time your cord has a faulty connection. Which happened to me about every 6 months. Those problems were solved when I switched to bluetooth earbuds.

Is there a FM radio?

No sign of an FM radio :frowning:

Only 27 min to discover what is and what is not

here is the stream

1 Like

yeah doesn’t happen with mine. I have a collection of headphones for different purposes and I haven’t had a broken connection that wasn’t fixable in over 5 years. Bluetooth isn’t always the best solution. I use Bluetooth in the car and when running, all the rest is wired.

1 Like

that means u can’t use the usb port and listen to audio? That’s a shitty solution
using a dongle for something so basic for me is a bad choice.

3 Likes

Technical specs:

5 Likes

I imagine there’s a bluetooth adapter that can be added to the end of a wired headset. Maybe Fairphone will consider providing something similar :slight_smile:

naa thx, I’m just going to buy a different phone when I need it. I just sad I guess, I loved the concept of the fairphone and the open and repair-ability of it. I get they can’t cater to everyone, it just seems backwards to me to limit connectivity. It doesn’t seem like a “fair” phone to me anymore I guess.

1 Like