Fairphone is dead and competely unresponsive

seems to be the days when fairphones die … mine just showed the same issues on thur/fri … ordered a new battery as a first measure … but it’s probably a good idea to watch this tre(n)d

Same happened to my FP1 :frowning:
Hoping for the support to suggest a solution.

Hi everyone,
I could test another battery yesterday and: it worked! I could boot and I could charge.
So in my case it seems no problem with the phone itself.
The little weird thing is that my voltmeter still shows me a voltage of 3.8V…
I’ll give it to the support now.
Best,
Stefan

2 Likes

So did some thorough inspection … looks like the mini USB port has become wonky. wiggling the cable shortly brings the phone into charging mode. might be dust or mechanical.

Are you sure, it is not a faulty cable?

Today I got the message that my fairphone now works and is being sent back.

Hi all!
I’m Matteo from Italy. I’ve already written a request on zendesk (request #37151 and #37799), but it seems a little time consuming so I try also here (@anon90052001 @Marco).

Nearly a week ago I downloaded and installed the Kula Nut update. The installation didn’t end because the FP was not able to complete the app optimization process. I shut down and restarted the FP for two times. The second one it appeared a blue screen (OMG Windows?!? Again?!? :D) with “LOADING” and nothing else. I tried to shut down and restart again the FP, but, after that, the FP could not be started again. Black screen and no signs of life thereafter…

I tried to start the FP while charging battery but nothing happened. That is, even if I try to charge the FP, nor the blue screen with charging battery progress neither the red led (signifying the battery is charging) is lightened. I tried also with another surely working FP battery (of a friend of mine) but nothing (the other battery was still safe after that). I tried also the hard reset start (volume up and power button) but, again, nothing happened…

Anyone can tell me what else I have to do?

I think I have to send it to support (under warrenty conditions, I think, right?), but I’m waiting for an answers about the best way to do it…
Sorry if I’m boring, but i can’t stand without my FP anymore…

Thank you very much!

You’re not alone, I’m afraid…
See for example this topic: https://forum.fairphone.com/t/fairphone-does-not-boot-up-anymore

The only solution I know, is the “hard reset”…

I wish it would!
As I’ve written, trying a hard reset nothing happen… The FP could not be started in anyway:cold_sweat:

I have the same problem without installing the Kula Nut update.
Nothing works and I am very worried

Welcome in the “FP worried people” club… :smiley:

:sob:

There is also the “FP happy people” club.

I also did the update and everything works fine.

3 Likes

First try charging your phone overnight. It’s impossible that a software update did this to your phone :slight_smile:

1 Like

I agree with you, @Robin, and I’m astonished by that, but I can assure you this was exactly what it happened… Maybe the two things (update and no starting up) are unrelated but the sequence of events was this…
I’ll try, but i’m not very confident because of what I said in the first post about charging…

One of the times I had the blue screen-problem, charging on the net (not by connecting to a computer) enabled my to start the hard reset process. Even through the phone was charged the day before…
I think I described that problem/solution already somewhere on the forums, that’s why I referred to other topics.

Also, don’t forget to “switch off” the phone by removing the battery a few seconds, before you start the hard reset!

Let’s hope you are able to solve this problem quickly!

1 Like

Has anyone tried to use this guide if your Fairphone is totally bricked (i.e. won’t start up)?

Using the SP Flash Tool you can restore the software image and hopefully get your phone up and working again.

Maybe give it a try. You don’t have to be a techie to do this, but it does help, so if you’re not confident then you may want to wait for an official response from support.

2 Likes

If only I would have known about this so many months ago… Thanks for the information, if it ever happens again, I’ll certainly give it a try!

1 Like

I think it is legitimate for a phone, that, if you have aborted an update process, or have not shut down the phone appropriately, the phone refuses to start.

A problem often is that there is still some waste energy somewhere, which can be gotten rid of by removing the battery and pressing the power button for 10 seconds. Also charging the phone over night might help.

If nothing works, try to get hold of a friend’s FP’s battery. It might be that the battery has died, as suggested here:

The last thing would be to get in contact with support.

I think it is legitimate for a FP user, that, if the optimization process remains still for about half an hour, the user thinks the process is not really doing what it is supposed to do and so the only thing the user can do is to try a restart.

Already tried as I said here:

Support contacted immediatly.

Thanks!

1 Like