Fairphone 5 - 5G with Telenet

You got 5G immediately after purchasing the smartphone? Did you receive any configuration message or pop up to update network parameters?

I am in the Netherlands. When I started with the phone I used the starting program to copy data from my Fairphone 4 to the Fairphone 5. Afterwards I have set the phone to 5G.

ok. Maybe it’s just my unit …

Is it an idea to ask in the ‘gebruikersgroep’ of Telenet if someone else has a problem with 5G.
(Just to be sure you live in an area where Telenet is providing 5G?)

As I said in my initial post, with the same SIM card my s23 has 5G :unamused: . Pity, because I was really enjoying the phone

1 Like

As I said the provider need to support the device as well, its not only Fairphone. One example from the FP4

I’ve already contacted Telenet, they said there’re no limitations on Fairphone

Today I called Telenet again, they repeated that they can’t do anything more and maybe my smartphone is not compatible with Telenet 5G network ( I should really try with other carriers to check). Let’s wait Fairphone support conclusions.

@AleMB just fyi, I have no 5G issues on Orange BE. Also didn’t need to configure anything, it was there immediately.

1 Like

Thanks for sharing…I think resellers should test compatibility of their devices with the networks of the markets in which they decide to sell, before introducing them, specifying if there are limitations with some carriers. This could help in consumer purchasing decision and would have zero costs.

It costs money to test every possible smartphones for every possible carriers because you need somebody to do it (and this person does not work for free).

Are you really considering that a relative cost in the market of smartphones?

Is this already under investigation by Fairphone?

EDIT - also, I checked the major providers in .be (Orange, Telenet, Base, Proximus) and I noticed that among these, the only ones that offer Fairphone are Orange and Proximus.

The reason could be a compatibility issue (which might or might not get resolved in due time).

Yep…in the meantime I managed to get one Orange SIM; if I still won’t get 5G , then it’s my unit (considering your experience).Otherwise, it’s the compatibility with Telenet

1 Like

So with Orange Belgium, 5G works perfect; final verdict: Fairphone 5 has NO compatibility with Telenet 5G at this moment. Thanks to everyone

2 Likes

ok. I think you should also share that with FP support (they don’t habitually read here). If you feel this has already been picked up by them, that should do (if you feel that they haven’t really accepted it as a bug I could also share it on the FP3 issue tracker for the betatesters but of course I can’t test it for you…)
Where in Belgium are you based?

Yes, I’m in contact with the support, I’m keeping them informed. I live between Mechelen and Leuven

2 Likes

Did you look at Couverture 5G, 4G, 3G BASE/Telenet Mobile - nPerf - nPerf.com ? Depending on where you are between Mechelen and Leuven, there is no 5G from Telenet.

Here there is Telenet 5G for sure because, as I wrote before, with the same SIM card my second phone runs 5G without issues

Sorry for not having read everything.

Since Orange and Telenet use the same bands (Belgium 5G - NR, 4G - LTE frequency spectrum bands, 3G - WCDMA, 2G - GSM, FDD, TDD, FR1, FR2 mmWave mobile networks), I am surprised it doesn’t work with Telenet if they made all they can to make it work.