Fairphone 4 shutting down

I’ve got my new fairphone 4 since yesterday and I’m so excited to use it. So I’ve set everything up but since then the phone has shut itself down for a few times while it was not in use.
I know the fairphone 4 is new but maybe someone can help me or has the same problem?

2 Likes

Welcome to our community forum :slight_smile:

Right now there’s almost no experience yet with the FP4 in this forum, so it’s hard to say. I would really like to encourage you though to contact Fairphone Support and tell them about your issue. They rely on feedback to identify problems early and to deal with them.

Oh, and many here would like to hear how you got your phone this (comparatively) “quickly” – feel free to vote or respond in this poll whether you got it from Fairphone directly or from a bricks and mortar shop:

9 Likes

Hey Sara, I have mine for almost 2 days in use by now and had no problems so far. Maybe the battery is not fully in place or something like that? Would be great if you could post your update here, after you contacted the support :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Hi there!
I ordered my phone on 3. October from the fairphone website. I live in Germany and I know how early I am with this phone and that makes it extra difficult to find out something about this issue. I hope this is not a long-term problem. I will contact support soon!

7 Likes

Bapf, could you try to call * # * # 6 6 # * # * to check if the FP4 comes with a range of “Service Tests” preinstalled like the FP3? Or maybe they are integrated into a “My Fairphone” app?

1 Like

I assume setting up means you had to take out battery to insert the SIM card? Do you insert an SD card? Is everything really in place as it should be?

2 Likes

funny thing: when i try to type * # * # 6 6 # * # *, the dial resets immediately when I type in the last " * ". So no option to call this “number” (yet?)

1 Like

Probably the number is different for the FP4?

2 Likes

It is! @Bapf please dial again, but it’s * # * # 2 8 8 6 # * # *

Demo (I'm "hiding" this as I cannot stand literally unstoppable animation ;-)

FP4._Service_test_SIM

P.S:: Seems you can stop it by one click into the gif.

Source: https://support.fairphone.com/hc/en-us/articles/4405062185489

5 Likes

Yes that works exactly as it is described in the link you’ve posted

2 Likes

One more thought: Have you had an eye on the battery level, especially before vs. after these unsolicited shutdowns?

1 Like

This doesn’t sound like a “first come, first serve” shipping procedure as there are customers who are still waiting for their item but placed their order on 30th September while or after the presentation.

It still also depends on which device in which color was ordered, or when the payment was received… So nothing we can really judge about :wink:

4 Likes

and nothing that contributes to solving the problem described :upside_down_face:

4 Likes

urs_lesse
It is! @Bapf please dial again, but it’s * # * # 2 8 8 6 # * # *

I tried these tests and as far as I can see, everythig seems to work fine

3 Likes

So, I did a few tests over the day. Nothing has worked so far. I took out my SD card (yes, I checked to see if my battery is still in right), took out my sim card and switched it to my friends sim card to see if maybe mine is faulty.
What I’ve noticed is that it shuts down while not in use, it hasn’t collapsed while I was actively doing something. The battery does not seem to be affected by the shutdowns, it is not draining it.
What I am testing now (and so far it seems to work) is a factory reset. No Sim, no SD, just preinstalled Apps connected to my Google Account. I will use it like that now and see if it works.
The weird thing is that my old phone, an Honor V10 has had a similar issue since about 2 months now. While in use it was restarting often (up to every few minutes). Mostly, while I was using it, opening an App, texting but also while it was laying on the table while charging. No pattern visible.
So what I’m thinking now is it could be an app of mine? They are all updated and I didn’t have an apk downloaded. But still there is a small chance of it leading me to a cause of this problem.

Thanks for the help so far, I’ll keep you updated!
(Also, I have the 6GB in grey and I payed via Paypal on the 3. October as I was ordering)

7 Likes

Perhaps your SIM is to old.

Then the other SIM card should have solved it.
At least the probability is very low that both SIM cards would lead to the same problem.

It seems to be the most logical explanation as long as the phone doesn’t show the issue with only the preinstalled Apps.

2 Likes

The Fairphone 4 has 1 'normal SIM and the second SIM is an E-SIM, a digital SIM.

1 Like

It reads like the normal SIM was switched for a friend’s normal SIM, and it didn’t help.

3 Likes