Fairphone 3: Updated GPL source packages

We are happy to announce that we have publicly released complete and updated GPL sources for the Fairphone 3.

You can download the source packages for the Linux kernel and for other GPL-licensed projects from the Fairphone 3 GPL section on code.fairphone.com. There are separate archives for each of the three software versions that were released for the Fairphone 3 until now.

We are still working on releasing build instructions alongside the sources. Please bear with us until we are ready to publish them.

Please feel free to discuss this release in this category of our forum!

36 Likes

This is great, thank you!
Will check it out later.
What about providing the git-history, as you have mentioned here?

4 Likes

This is great news for the community here!

Irrespective therof: can you give us a hint when to expect Android 10 for the FP3?

Best wishes,
Thomas

If anyone has trouble opening the kernel package with GUI tools, try renaming it to .tar.xz

2 Likes

@karsten As @sam has written, the archives are xz compressed tar files, so they should have the extension .tar.xz or .txz, not .tar.gz :slight_smile:

1 Like

That’s great.
I’m currently trying to get the previous kernel sources running with LOS 16: https://github.com/mstaz/android_kernel_fairphone_sdm632
Is it possible that the techpack/audio folder is missing in the sources?
There is also a .gitignore file in the techpack folder, so maybe it got lost on the way :wink:

Thanks @z3ntu and @sam for pointing out the mismatch in compression algorithms! I adjusted the file names and links so that they correctly point out the xz compression now.

@Max_S the techpack/audio is indeed missing. In our sources, it is outside of the kernel tree, therefore we missed packing it with the kernel. As a quick fix, I created a separate archive of it and put it on the Fairphone 3 GPL website as well.

@k4y0z regarding git history: This is still under discussion internally, and I can’t say if and when we would publish them.

16 Likes

Nice. Thanks a lot. :+1:

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Hi all,

A late update on this topic: The Fairphone 3 Android 10 GPL source are now also available on code.fairphone.com.

For now, nothing changed on the release format. There is still one archive per version and part of the source tree (kernel, audio kernel, other GPL packages).

3 Likes

Hi,

The sources (including the lk bootloader and wlan driver) are now also available as git repositories:

They are also linked at Fairphone 3 Source Code — FAIRPHONE open source documentation

8 Likes

Thank you for sharing!

Where can I report a bug in the bootloader (lk)? I can only find an issue tracker for Android 9 on FP2 - which does not seem to be the right place to report my issue with the bootloader on FP3.

There is indeed no bug tracker for FP3, you need to contact support
https://support.fairphone.com/hc/de-de

2 Likes

Thank you, that clarifies.

Any update on releasing the build instructions? I tried building the bootloader (lk) for FP3, but that seems non-trivial… Any help would be very welcome.

At first a warning:

Please note, that I highly do not recommend overwriting the bootloader as you will probably permanently brick your device doing that, unless you have the necessary tools and skills to recover your device! You will not be able to use fastboot if you break the bootloader!

Now that this is out of the way, you will need an arm toolchain, like https://archlinux.org/packages/community/x86_64/arm-none-eabi-gcc/

Then remove CFLAGS += -Werror from project/msm8953.mk as your toolchain is likely newer than the one used for compiling it normally.

Finally you can use this command to build it. The -fcommon part is needed for gcc 10 and newer. You might also need to adjust the TOOLCHAIN_PREFIX if your toolchain is named differently.

$ LKLE_CFLAGS=-fcommon TOOLCHAIN_PREFIX=arm-none-eabi- make msm8953

The output will be in build-msm8953/emmc_appsboot.mbn .

Again, I highly recommend you to not flash this onto your device.

5 Likes