Fairphone 3 specification speculation & leaks

Up until now, there is at least no sign of the needed certification for the US-market. It might be in the doing, but I guess, they will take care to get it working reliable in the EU first and will enter other markets only after success here.

3 Likes

Cracking the US market is a risky one. Mainly because, to an even stronger degree than say the UK, people expect perfection from their products. It’s quite easy to put off buyers with small quirks, and more risky for the business as well considering the more aggressive claim culture. A product like the FP2 would IMHO not meet the standards of the American consumers. Although I am hopeful that FP ironed out a lot of design imperfections with the FP3, I personally believe it’d be better if they patiently wait for European consumers to give their verdict before they make a move to the other side of the pond.

6 Likes

I agree with you on the nature of the US consumer and their patience with products.

I’m a developer myself and as a result have a much deeper understanding when it comes to devices and the challenges of creating them. However, I think there are many people in the states who have a deeper understanding as well or are in fact just more generous with their time. The ethical reasons for example might be enough to pacify this crowd in the face of bugs, etc.

I’m just happy the radios will work in the states whether the market is officially open there or not.

6 Likes

So am I, not in the least because it makes travelling to the US a better experience for FP3 owners :smiley:

5 Likes

Funny, I don’t care for myself if FP3 would work outside of EU. I’d use a burner if I were to leave the EU. Don’t trust border patrol… (I’d sell it afterwards.)

(But I am happy for Americans or anyone outside of EU if FP3 works for them.)

1 Like

The irony for me is that I don’t really trust EU entities and would feel more comfortable under US law.

Heard of the purism librem 5? Not sure something like that would be possible anywhere other than the US.

So while you trust the blobs and firmwares on the fp it all seems relative. Do you know for a fact that your chipset isn’t spying on you? That your radio doesn’t allow unauthorized surveillance? Think the gdpr is going to save you from all of that? I have some snake oil to sell you if you do.

Also as I don’t wish to sideline this thread, I’m happy the Fp3 satisfies your security concerns.

1 Like

Oh, well that sounds like a change of stance given your previous statement:

My point wasn’t to attack the USA, or anything like that, specifically. Even though the amount of TSA horror stories is much higher than EU counterpart, that isn’t the point. I’m Dutch, and not at all nationalistic same with regards to Fairphone or that I should be proud they are a Dutch company. Why? What does that have to do with it? It is a very international-minded company, and the Dutch government has little to nothing to do with it.

Not sure why a Librem 5 couldn’t be possible in EU. The open hardware movement, like the FOSS movement, is an international endeavor. It is not specific to EU or US or whatever (Minifree.org is from UK, for example). The same is true for the infosec community.

My concern is specifically with border patrol. Including in the EU, but if I travel e.g. from Amsterdam to Berlin I don’t meet them (only time I saw them with dogs before Berlin but I think that was to search for drugs). I assume that I cannot be forced to give my credentials whilst I’m in Germany.

Yes, I’m very much aware of the Librem 5. Awesome project! I regularly report about it on the forums here, and I hope they launch in 2019Q3. There’s also the Talos II for those who want an open hardware workstation. Unfortunately, it does come with a price tag.

4 Likes

No, not at all. I’m not saying I want a FP3 because i consider it a secure phone. I want it because it is modular, and I’m able to replace the battery.

You are an EU citizen, I would expect the same for myself if that was case for me. As I’m a US citizen, I feel the same way traveling there as you do to other EU countries.

This has more to do with economic reasons. Laws in the US make building things much easier.

I apologize if my tone came off as contentious, especially when you were not trying to be so yourself.

2 Likes

The French police checks international trains and buses very often, but neither do they ask for phones at internal EU borders.

1 Like

It’s D-day ! Countdown in hours: H-10!

5 Likes

What time is the launch, will there be something online?

:slight_smile:

There is a coming soon button on the Fairphone homepage - hover over Phone and there it is

8 Likes

Doesn’t work for me.
The page of queue.it is causing troubles.
Might be the business-network protection though.

Doesn’t work for me either. Not sure why, probably my adblocker. I tried it even in a different browser with lax protections.

Once the product is released, this topic will close because there is no more need to speculate or feed rumors :wink:

One thing we as a community can do, is add the information to Wikipedia so that is accurate ASAP (while staying NPOV and such).

2 Likes

Didn’t work for me as well, but I got to the countdown page when trying to access the shop. Just go to shop.fairphone.com and you’ll get redirected. Or directly access https://queue.fairphone.com/?c=fairphone&e=launch for the queue/countdown.

Anyway, it’s at 12:00 CEST, so you can calculate the remaining time yourself. :wink:

4 Likes

27 posts were split to a new topic: General Fairphone 3 discussion

Just to make it very clear the distinction between what was speculation and/or leaks versus what is official discussion based on facts by Fairphone BV I will close this topic and merge the posts.