Fairphone 3 specification speculation & leaks

Seems taking the phone apart is really simple, but not like the FP2.
Judging by the pictures, the display seems to be fixed by screws all around the rim,
That should make it really rigid and prevent any loss of contact between core-module and Display. No more pressing and bending the phone needed.
Just removing the display for demonstrative reasons will no longer be that easy. :wink:

Edit:

Looks plausible.
Although the green area could be two modules as well.
I expect, that the modularity will be done in a way, that takes stability and connectivity into consideration. Maybe the number of modules will therefore be limited.

Edit 2:

I would not expect that.
Most likely they will continue to offer Android and FP-Open.
Officially supporting a third OS would likely be a bit too much for a small company like Fairphone.

3 Likes

Okay, interesting, did not think of all screws to hold the screen🤔

I see the green part as the core, how would you devide it in two?
Also, the fingerscanner part is attached to maybe the top module,?

1 Like

I was thinking of the two screws “between Sim 1 and Sim 2 slots” to be holding some module.
But, hey, I am just wild guessing …
It’s not much longer now, until we will know for sure :smile:
Just some patience and 4 more nights to the :fireworks:

4 Likes

More like this I think…

I think your red and yellow “modules” haven’t got the necessary “allowed” white screws (the red one has none, the yellow one just one).

There just might be additional screws on the other side, that are accessible only after removing the screen. The brass colored points could be the places for those screws.

3 Likes

Perhaps, but I think those are more likely Torx screws already in place (appearing empty because of their characteristic shape).

1 Like

Actually as I’ve written earlier, there are “golden holes” where we can see “end of screws”, exactly like for FP2, meaning they are 2 for each top module and 4 for the bottom one, screwed from the other side, under the screen, only reachable when you remove it. The silver Phillips screws are probably here only to attach the screen to the core module and the plastic layer on top of probably detachable (= individually modular) components like the fingerprint sensor. So my theory still fits :wink:

4 Likes

I think something being built modular, (to open) repairable for every individual but “waterproof” as well are two contrary attributes.

Considering guarantee and reliability - how would you expect the manufacturer can solve this “oxymoron”?
Do you know any mobile phone on the market offering water resistance & the option to even self-replace the battery or even more?
Which one, and if not - how come?

Maybe also for all the engineers of the big boys who are simply not capable to get to such a little known but fantastic idea.

I believe such combination is something we will never see in the close future.
Actually I don’t even know whom to call from under water or when taking a shower.
Taking pictures from fishes we usually talk about salt water not being good for any material.

If it comes to modularity and self-repair, there are individuals out there who manage to use tools on their (modular) phone breaking something making it only worse.
If the waterproof function goes lost due to a wrong treatment damaging the entire device - who actually is in charge?
I’m still not fully clear with guarantee regulations having sold something sensitive that can be disassembled by the user.

Reading through this meanwhile grown forum one can find posts of users who got their modular mobile damaged but still expect to be covered by the guarantee.

4 Likes

Hi @Patrick1,
It may not surprise you to learn that I don’t think you’re right :wink: Once you’ve bothered to read a bit further through the thread you’ll see that I corrected waterproof to water-resistant and gave several examples of where this feature can give peace of mind to people and prevent a phone being damaged beyond economical repair. At no point did anyone talk about using the phone underwater or in a shower, let alone taking photos underwater, such usage almost certainly wouldn’t be covered by guarantee (but I don’t know if it has been tested in court yet).
According to this website (use the detailed search function) there are hundreds of phones which are water-resistant and have a removable battery: http://phonedb.net/index.php?m=device&s=query&d=detailed_specs. Whether or not replacing the battery invalidates the guarantee I’ve no idea.
Cheers :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Thanks for the flowers.
It is the same as on the FP2, you can see the symbols of the modules only after you took off the screen.
I guess it is bot screwed, otherwise it would not mak sense to put the lables on the inside.

Fair play to you madbilly - you’ve proved us all wrong :wink:
That’s a handy website. I found 161 matches for phones that are water resistant up to one metre and have a replaceable battery.

2 Likes

I know that with Samsung they do not guarantee against water ingress anyway, even if this feature hasn’t been compromised by opening.

I’d love if someone sent a device back for repair during warranty that they’d opened when they weren’t supposed to, just to see what would happen.

@Antoine’s/@BertG’s interpretation of the yellow holes as screw back ends actually provides a good explanation for the “inside warning” as well: If all outside screws are regular (e.g. Phillips) screws, then you simply cannot do anything wrong until you have gotten to the warning. :slight_smile: All “forbidden” screws only become accessible when you get to see the warning. (OK, I bet you folks have been saying this all along and I just didn’t find it among the 154 other responses :wink: )

7 Likes

Most devices on the market have a sticker as seal on one of the screws to make sure it hasn’t been opened. Some FP1’s also included them because the manufacturer was apparently used to providing seals, but Fairphone ignored the seal as you were allowed to open your FP1.

3 Likes

On FP2 you are allowed -and even encouraged with blue circles around them- to unscrew all standard Phillips screws without warranty loss, simply to be able to remove the modules. However if you unscrew the Pentalobe screws to open a module (which are smaller, more discreet and require a special screwdriver), then the warranty might be lost. I hope this will change with FP3 as I mentionned earlier (to be able to change some components within the modules without loss of warranty), but I would understand Fairphone wouldn’t dare this…

5 Likes

Proving someone wrong wasn’t my objective… in fact I proved myself wrong! I wasn’t sure what I was going to find, and was incredibly surprised when I found so many. I bet most are not really IPX7, they just claim to be, but some of them will be true to their rating and to have a removable battery as well shows that it’s really not an innovation to do these two things. I hope that the FP3 follows their trend :smiley:

Hm, interesting finding, indeed.
Again I could see Kyocera is often present keeping both of these attributes. Anyway all the listed devices offering both of these attributes I could find are technically not really up-to-date and cannot even compete with our FP2 specs like display resolution, dual-sim, LTE etc.

This water**** attribute was initially, as I could read here and here, thought of in Asia where the tech addicted people in early days started to use their phone even while taking a shower having to realize that water was not the mobiles best friend.
Having such a mobile some owners do use it in water areas as they expect it to easily withstand. If it does not and fail I am pretty sure they will complaint. :handshake:

3 Likes

This would seem to indicate that the US market can FINALLY be directly supported, or am I off here?

2,4, 5, 13, and 26 are used by at least one US carrier. 2,4, and 5 are used by both AT&T and T-Mobile. 13 is Verizon, and 26 is Sprint.

Based on what these carriers use predominantly, ie: what carrier will I have the best coverage, then T-Mobile and Verizon should work best. But AT&T, particularly in dense areas, and Sprint should work. However, depending on where you live, they might not.

Also if this phone will be based on the chipset of the Moto G7, this will be fantastic. Instant buy for me.

I am currently using a FP2 and a Moto G7 Power. The G7 is plenty fast. It is only a little slower than the Google Pixel, but you hardly notice.

While they are announcing on the 27th, I for one hope they have availability then as well.

1 Like

As per the crowdfunding/investment campaign Fairphone’s plan is to target Scandinavia. Not US, officially. We cannot be for sure until we have word from Fairphone, of course, but that’s the prospect.

1 Like