Fairphone 3 specification speculation & leaks

1 Like

Wow those silvery white things are the antennae! Amazing.

Where are these screw-like markings?

Hello everyone! Do you think FP3 will have GPIO pins as the FP2?

You mean the ones on the back when you open the FP2? We don’t see them on the FP3 photos, so I would assume not.

I never used them but having the chance to build a custom shield in the back cover was amazing. I really hope they’re hidden somewhere on the board :slight_smile:

As far as we know (!!!) it wasn’t used much. I’ve seen a few projects using it. @Cherry97 made a LED on the back. I’d say it is up to these people, if they own a FP3, to say if they miss it and if it was worth the sacrifice. If the group is then large enough, you could make a case for returning it on FP4. That’s my take on it, at least. YMMV.

1 Like

So, what about this? The new case seems rather thin and not much higher than the screen…

1 Like

The reason you like OLED is because of the generally lower power consumption. Are you sure about that? As you say yourself, a lot depends on implementation. Sure, Google et al. have finally brought out dark mode to their own operating system. Google’s own search engine doesn’t have a dark mode though. Correct me if I’m wrong here. Most web pages are in dazzling white. You’re looking at one :wink:
This discussion board doesn’t have the familiar thumb up, thumb down icons either. Facebook doesn’t get a red cent.
IPS is cheap as chips now in China due the new focus on OLED. I doubt this applies as much to VA though because not as many manufacturers used it.

1 Like

Right. That’s the 3 nailed down. 450 euro. It will sell like hotcakes and it will flood the handset market for years to come.
So what about the 4? Smart-glasses?
And the 5? A brain implant?

Bit off-topic, but not necessarily.

As for OLED, does it not have the disadvantage of burn-in? That aspect does not strike me as sustainable (to be clear: less power usage does).

1 Like

It seems like that to me at first sight, too. However, we might underestimate the actual height difference – the new protective rim might protrude the same as much as the old one while its different surface curve makes us believe it was flatter. The old one had a surface a bit like a flat reverse letter U, the new one seems more like a triangle with its peak at the very outside. Or just take ) and 7 as approximations (from a different angle) of the shape difference I am trying to describe. I hope I can make myself “understandable”. :wink:

Another visualization (lay your head on your right shoulder)

FP2 vs. FP3

)               7
|               |
|               |
|               |

Just a wild guess, of course. :angel:

5 Likes

It’s USB and not GPIO on the back of the Fairphone 2.

2 Likes

The Khados VIM has one. Then they went and ruined it all buy using a 5-20V power input port instead of a 3V input. What voltage are smartphone batteries anyway?

5V I imagine. No? The power adapter is 5V.

Remember the Moto Z3 Play? I imagine Motorola would like to forget it. That had the equivalent of an 80pin GPIO. You had to buy the Moto Mods Development Kit for another 115 dollars just to get video out etc.

To be fair to Motorola, I think they make all the code for the operating system on all their devices available for everyone to see. I could be wrong on this though.

Batteries are now dirt cheap. So is dynamic memory. And static memory.

Seems difficult to see how modular the FP3 is?

If you pay attention to the gold-looking holes surrounding screws-ends on the back of the device, as well as the shape of the modules through the transparent plastic (visible on this picture : https://scr.wfcdn.de/20818/Fairphone-3-1566393513-0-0.jpg) my guess would be:

• there are at least two modules above the screen (2 screws for the main camera and 2 for the front camera+speaker+jack+sensors module)
  • and one in the bottom for microphone+USB-C port+speaker with 4 screws.

Plus, all visible screws are Phillips ones, so that’s good news for easier repairability!

Maybe other components will be easy to replace without being part of a module? Or even being able to buy just a component within a module would be great! I hope so, like taking the best of the two first Fairphones… It was a such a shame to have to replace all the other perfectly working components when you just wanted to change the front camera or the microphone in FP2…

2 Likes

That is some good points.

I think this phone I different, it looks like the modules have to be taken out from front side of the phone, after the screen has been removed?

Or do we have to remove all the internal backcover plastic off after the battery is removed?

It is already the same with FP2: you have to remove the screen to remove other modules (except the battery) :wink:

1 Like

That is true…! They are truely behind the screen on the FP2 :joy::sweat_smile:

More or less like this?

2 Likes