Fairphone 3 specification speculation & leaks

It won’t be as difficult to dissipate heat from this phone as it was from the last. With the processor used, a heat pipe might not even be needed. A simple bit of metal connected to the front screen should do the job.

I also do not have a good attention span. Especially with regards to videos. Your experience with said video resonates with mine. I’ve added the link in the Interesting Links section.

I get your point about the marketing advantage of being water resistant. It would prove that it is possible to make a mobile phone that opens but is still water proof. We already know it’s possible though. And if I drop my phone in a raging river, I can wave goodbye to it anyway. For me this feature is not worth wasting money on. The great thing about a phone that gets wet inside easily is that it gets dry inside quickly. If it bounces on something before immersion, it turns itself off. If you put it in a bag, it’s water resistant, as pointed out here. I understand the importance of the showing it could be done though.

Correction: it would prove that it’s possible to access the battery and still be water resistant.

Interesting Links section? Where’s that?

#interestingarticles

1 Like

I’d like to know if they finally decide to support LineageOS officially…

1 Like

Judging by the pictures, the phone seems to be way more sturdy.
More and bigger screws should help keeping all the modules in contact with each other.
No more problems this way.

And even designwise it seems to be more “marketable”, i.e. slimer and more stylish.
As far as I can judge from the pictures I would guess, they have done everything right. :+1:

4 Likes

Judging by the new pictures, I’m wondering if the case will protect the screen as much as the one of the FP2, what do you think?

Also, what about the screen size (why such large black bands)? Do you think it will be OLED?

And why the choice of only one camera in the back where almost all new phones have dual cameras now for different zoom levels and 3D effects? Or at least room for it for future upgrades?

That is a bit of a stretch.

High-end smartphones do. Budget smartphones don’t. The better mid-range smartphones perhaps have two, but certainly not all.

The point of Fairphone is not to be the best mid-range smartphone, but being good enough. Because it is not possible to beat unfair smartphone manufacturers on price/performance. Their resources are vastly bigger. Just company size alone, as well as possible hardware, and competition between fair component manufacturers. If photography is very important for you, you’re better off with another smartphone.

What I wonder about won’t the camera lenses get affected by if you put the smartphone on the table or something? That aspect never applied to me as made to be durable.

6 Likes

Hi @leibide I agree that if one wants proper water-resistance / protection then a waterproof pouch is the only way to go. However water-resistance does give peace of mind people that the phone will survive a few accidents, for example, dropping it in a puddle, in the sink, toilet (I’m amazed how many times I hear this one!), or just being unlucky and getting caught in a very heavy rain shower which drenches clothes and kills the phone which is in your pocket (this happened to me with my most cherished ever phone, I was gutted).
Anyway, we just have to wait and see now. I remain cautiously optimistic :smiley:

About camera - a single camera is also much easier to write software for than trying to do clever algorithms which interpolate between the two at intermediate zoom levels. I would rather have one good camera than two average and poorly integrated ones.

I doubt they will support LineageOS officially since no other manufacturer does and LineageOS don’t seem to be pursuing any manufacturer tie-ins. A more likely OS for official support would be /e/, but I think Fairphone will probably leave that to the community and focus on what the vast majority of people will want - a well-integrated, bug-free installation of Android with Google Play Services.

I would love an OLED screen, but I think that’s highly unlikely unfortunately given the expected price range of the phone and that (as far as we can tell) no other specs are “premium” (as defined by current prevailing trends).

The bands around the screen are probably the gasket which dampens the forces onto the screen when the phone is dropped. It may also provide some water resistance…! :smile:

2 Likes

Would you settle for a VA screen? Slightly better contrast than IPS so in theory easier to read the screen in strong sunlight. Colour fidelity is generally not as good, but who cares?

2 Likes

Now I understand. You might actually be right about increased water resistance. Most of the internal components are behind plastic which is screwed down. They would also need to put plastic gaskets on all ports and buttons. Then seek official certification for water resistance. Nothing is impossible. I always assumed water resistance was a clever marketing trick to justify gluing a phone shut. Then I read what happened to you. By the way, I tend to irreparably destroy phones after 8 months, then perhaps lose them as well for good measure.

Thanks for bringing up the band. It makes me wonder if it will be somewhat permanently attached to the screen or removable by the user. None of these most recently released photos show it separated from display and core unit, but then again these two are always shown connected only as well. In one the previously released photos, it’s very hard to make out if it shows the display unit with or without the band:

I hope it will be exchangeable. One more thing still to find out on launch day. :slight_smile:

I think your interpretation of the symbols is spot on. However, what I wonder on a second thought: Why is this “what you may unscrew / what you must not unscrew” explanation in a spot that you apparently only get to see after you have already unscrewed everything? :thinking:

2 Likes

I explained myself so badly that it is nothing short of misinformation. JerryRigEverything describes the protectors around all openings as ‘rubber seals’.

2 Likes

Where’s the wireless antenna? The metal plate behind the plastic at the top of the phone?

The antennas are thin films applied to the back. They look like a small, silvery labyrinth.

2 Likes

Look at the little notches on the battery. That thing isn’t going to budge once it’s in place.

2 Likes

Thank you. I was trying to decypher those Egyptian symbols for days! (I started to wonder one might indicate the position of the volume rocker) :smiley:

1 Like

Which photos are you referring to when talking about these hieroglyphics?! :smile:

@leibide I knew what you meant about gaskets, I think was my mistake for using that term - seals is a better word for that I think. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a smartphone with a VA display so don’t know if I’d prefer it to IPS or not. The reason I like OLED is because of the generally lower power consumption and great contrast plus the ability to have a good glance screen when the phone is locked, but I know that a lot depends on the implementation and what are general rules often don’t apply in specific cases.
Cheers :slight_smile: