I bought my Fairphone 3 two months ago in December 2019. For the last 3 weeks, I have been experiencing the following issues:
- random reboots: Between 1x and 6x per day. Most commonly when I am unlocking the screen or opening an app. But it can also happen when the phone is in idle mode with the screen off. I noticed that whenever it reboots, the phone loses a substantial amount of battery charge, normally around 20% (e.g. the battery is at 35%, then after the reboot, it’s only 12%). See screenshots 1 and 2.
- Extremely fast battery drainage. I can basically watch while the battery loses its power. Losing charge is about as fast as charging, with no apps running in the background and WIFI/bluetooth disabled. I’m running AccuBattery and GSam Battery Monitor to monitor it and it once showed a drainage of 80%/hour with 56 minutes remaining at 75% charge. See screenshots 3, 4 and 5.
- Battery won’t charge until 100%. At first, it would stop charging at 80% but over the last 3 weeks, it would only charge until around 65%. See screenshots 4, 5 and 2. I also attached a screenshot where it was plugged in and supposed to charge with the battery at 71%, but the Android notification says “fully charged” (screenshot 6).
- Poor battery capacity (according to the AccuBattery app). It shows a capacity of 1400 mAh where it should be 3000 mAh based on 20 charging cycle measurements. In the last couple of weeks I had to charge my phone 3 times per day. See screenshot 7.
To troubleshoot the problem, I already
- had my provider swap the SIM card for a new one. I also removed my second SIM card. This did not change anything.
- did a full factory reset but had Android restore all my apps and settings afterwards. This did not solve the problem either.
- did another full factory reset without restoring my apps and settings. I kept everything on stock factory settings and just installed WhatsApp and Signal messenger. For one happy day, it had a functioning phone that would charge to 100% and could keep the charge. Then, another random reboot and it’s bleeding battery life again…
I also noticed that sometimes, GSam Battery Monitor shows continuous WIFI use despite WIFI being disabled (screenshot 2), but not always.
I hope you guys can help me out. I also sent this problem description to the Fairphone 3 support team and will update it if I find a solution.