English

Fairphone 3 loses wifi connection

I had the exact same problems two weeks ago in a hotel I was staying at and my partner’s Samsung phone had no such trouble.

I’m finding it rather comical that you’re doubting everything I say but never question FP.

Anyhow.
I’ve said my piece and stated the facts.

And it appears I’m not the only one with such issues.

First it is all about ruling out other causes. Please do not conclude your assumptions as facts, they really are such when anything else has been ruled out. I have over 30 years of experience in troubleshooting (WiFi) issues, and I am still learning…

My comments are observations. Ergo they are facts.
Correlation is not causation indeed but I’ve narrowed down this behaviour to my FP3 phone.

I do not doubt your experience and expertise, and am grateful for your suggestions.

That said, the fact is my FP3 looses WiFi connection far too often, irrespective of where I am, what time it is, what network I connect to.

The fact is my HTC phones essentially never lost WiFi connection as long as I was in range, including on the same networks I use now.

I truly respect them.

My advise: Be careful when referring to Fairphone failure as a fact in this regard. I must admit that there are a lot of (ongoing) Fairphone failures, but actually such a case regarding the FP3 model is rather untypical and not a known issue, AFAIK…

Back to yours: Maybe the antennae of your FP3 is somehow damaged/broken. I do not know if it is possible to check the connectors, maybe someone else can report.

And likewise I respect you, your time and input, and fairphone too of course.

It could be a hardware problem indeed, I don’t know. But as I said, I’m not going to recommend FP anymore, I have in the past, and I’m very unlikely to stay with FP or buy another one of their products.

Add to that I can’t recycle with them, and the whole experience was a waste of time and money.

Just to say I have the same issue. I hope it is a hardware issue.

On my FP3+ I also have the very similar problem that the phone disconnects from the wifi all the time (two or three times per hour). The difference: It always reconnects automatically after three seconds.

Which is a very bad thing for video calls, streaming, downloads, connections to Chromecast, wifi audio players, etc.

Finally I found a “solution” for this: If the 2.4-GHz access point is set to 802.11n-only, the wifi connection is stable.
But if the access point ist set to any mixed mode (for example: 802.11bgn or 802.11gn), then it continues to disconnect and reconnect all the time.

Of course, this is not a real solution, but a workaround. Maybe it helps you!

Let’s hope that Fairphone will fix this bug with an update very soon. Because I can not change the configuration of all access points I am connected to (public transport, at work, …).

I will try the 802.11n approach!

Additionally, to me it seems that the wifi connection instability is caused by Android 10. With Android 9, it did not happen, or at least, not so often that it for my attention. Does anybody else also have that impression?

Update: the router was already on 802.11n only. I have set it to bgn, plus enabled 5GHz (hmm why was this router still on 2.4?). No WiFi losing connection experienced since…

2 Likes

I have to admit that the “802.11n-approach” is not a real solution. It makes disconnects happens less, but still. I also found out, that using 40 MHz bandwith is more stable than 20 MHz, but still disconnects happen.

So, nothing is really helpful. I provided more detailed informations to the Fairphone support team and hope they can help.

1 Like

Hi Ontheair, I would be grateful if you could share any hint provided by the support team, I am struggling with WI-FI disconnections since day one…

Hello Ayn,

I am sorry, but I can not share any hints to solve the problem. I gave a lot of informations to the support team, including detailed descriptions of the problem and even comparisons between the FP3 and other smartphones running SSH-connections with screenshots (running on all smartphones, crashing / disconnecting only on the FP3), etc.

To make a long story short: The support gave me no hint to solve this problem. They said, they will forward my informations to the developers.
So I still have this unstable wifi since the first day, same like you and others.

Sadly, since I am using the FP3+, there was no single update with bug fixes. Just delayed Google security patches. No bug fixes since months - and the unstable wifi is just one bug out of many others.

We all have to wait if this and the other bugs will be fixed by an update :frowning:

Thank you so much, let’s hope it is not an hardware issue…

I guess it would be a good idea if you contact the support, too.

Yesterday I have browsed the router options and I am trying to connect the phone with the 2,4 Ghz frequency. So far no disconnections, I will wait few days and then contact the support, maybe the issue is only related to the 5 Ghz frequency?

1 Like

For me the problem exists with 2.4 GHz.

I found a “solution”. When keeping the display active all the time (there are apps for that), the wifi is stable, no disconnects anymore.

Of course this is not a practical solution. But it shows that it could be a wrong implementation of power saving instead of an hardware issue.

I am keeping my display active all thr time now when playing music from the phone to wifi receivers, using Chromecast, etc. Working great!
Problem is, of course: Battery needs to be charged much more often.

So, still waiting for an update and a bugfix…

4 Likes

Good finding! Indeed, it seems that the wifi connectivity issue only shows right after the screen activates. During operation, I cannot remember an instance of WiFi losing connection. This may be different for other users, but the relation to screen activity is at least suspicious!

2 Likes

One week without disconnections using the 2,4 Ghz band. I live in a house with thick walls and I have read the 5 Ghz suffers more in this situations. Maybe the phone struggles to reconnect when the connection is lost during the standby mode? (for example because the phone has been moved from a room to another without unlocking it)

Have you enabled “Keep Wi-Fi on during sleep”? Please check your Wi-Fi settings.

Hi DeepSea, of course I had the setting “Keep on WIFI during sleep” set to “always”. It is the default.

Unfortunately it is not possible to check this setting again because it just disappeared - same like the WIFI band switcher bug mentioned here.

miss

Finally I solved the issue with instable wifi, which was disconnecting and reconnecting several times per hour.

It looks like the FP3(+) is a bit picky with access points. Since I removed my older TP-Link access point and using a FritzBox 7590 instead, the reconnects are gone. There is now stable wifi on my FP3+.

And 5 GHz is working again too, after doing the workaround mentioned there.

3 Likes