Fairphone 2 Ubuntu Touch

The “problem” with Switzerland is that we’ve got four linguistic regions : swiss-german, french, italian and retho-romanche. Switzerland uses QWERTZ, but with some differences for swiss-german and french/italian speaking people : you can set the priority for letters like “é” or “è” (I use this one as I speak french), or if you speak swiss-german, you will priorize the german “ü”. The layout looks like this :

But for smartphones it differs a lot and I’ll try pull it, thanks for the link ! :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Just moved from Android to OTA-2. Very good sensations until now. Everything works great:

• Bluetooth
  • Wifi
  • GPS
  • Two SIMs at the same time

Just need to check more things like file transference between devices and a problem I seem to have with my sd card: I can’t see the files in it with the explorer. But I think that would be more a lack of my experience with linux OSs.

Thanks a lot UBport!! You are doing an admirable job.

2 Likes

Hi!

Would the phone pop-in to convergence mode automagically once you connect
to Miracast/Aethercast?

Do you need an app for that or is it somewhere in the settings like Wi-Fi, etc. ?

Good news ! In the last UBports Community Update 17 minute 9:30, @NeoTheThird announced that the new camera compatibility issue is almost solved and will be released asap after required tests… Great work :smiley: !

On the same video, minute 15:30 they explain that, even if LoquiIM was working, a recent change in the Whatsapp API broke the compatibility :frowning:
The team speaks about the difficulty to develop apps for such protocol as Whatsapp doesn’t like third-party apps…

3 Likes

Where can I learn the source code that you guys work on? I just hope to read some lines of the working.

1 Like

I’m not familiar with the Ubuntu Touch source code, but I think the different components are hosted on the https://github.com/ubports website…
If you have specific code-related questions, the quicker way could be to ask them on the Telegram supergroup :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Ubuntu Touch consists of many many different parts, so there’s not a singular repository. Any particular component you’re interested in? If you just want to look around and see what’s what, GitHub is the place to go, as @oli.sax pointed out. Except from the android drivers, Ubuntu Touch is completely free and open source, so it’s all there, even though our documentation is lacking behind in some parts. We’re working on it, though, so if you have any questions, don’t hesitate to ask here or in the telegram group. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Small update: In the last Community Q&A we announced, that our next stable update OTA-3 will be released on December 21. It will include support for the new FP2 displays (already available in the rc and stable channel) and the new FP2 cameras (still being worked on at full-speed, turned out to be a lot more difficult than we anticipated, but we’re confident to get it fixed in time)!

Until then, please make sure to select the rc or devel channel when installing Ubuntu Touch on your new FP2s. Speaking of installing, there’s a new release of the UBports Installer that should fix some of the issues you guys have been experiencing. Sorry about that!

4 Likes

OTA-3 is out ! :slight_smile: Here is the changelog. I updated the “known bugs” on the first post.

3 Likes

And it’s a major success!
9% increase in the downloads for the last 24 hours (from 1,500 to 1,635).

If one still needs an argument for leaving Android behind, this article in a leading conservative German newspaper has it:

For a broader public it explains location-practices by Android (even with location-services turned off); [translation by me]:
“Location-tracking by Android: I know something, that you don’t see”
At the medic or pharmacist? In the lawyer’s office? Or at your friend? Location-tracking by Android: That’s how precisely Google does know, where we are and have been.

1 Like

I’m sorry to be the bad guy here, but Ubuntu-Touch doesn’t replace the Android part as it is built on top of it, right ? So, event if it’s built on Lineage OS (which is a fork of Android), we’re still depending on Google in some ways… So we would be nearly leaving Android, but not completely :frowning:

But I have some hope in the PostmarketOS project, which aims to replace the Android kernel by something else as independant as possible : there’s already a porting effort for the FP2 :grinning:

Hi everyone. I started installing (trying to) on my FP yesterday. I followed up this tutorial https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVCbzuvV7QU&t=142s

But I could never enter the recovery mode. Instead, I had a full blue screen and my system seems screwed because I cannot do anything else then booting in fast mode. I followed the first step restarting in fastboot but the process got stopped.

Any idea of how I could do something about it very welcome. As I cannot use my phone anymore, a solution in order to get back to android would be very nice. Or towards Ubuntu but the fact is that I have no phone anymore :frowning: And also, can someone tell me is this like irreversible or will this phone work one day again ? … I’m a bit worried about this

Here is the support article how to manually install Android again: https://support.fairphone.com/hc/en-us/articles/207914363

When you get that running and still want to try ubuntu touch, I would use the UBports installer instead of MDT: https://ubports.com/page/ubuntu-fairphone-2

2 Likes

Thanks, I did as it is said in the first link but I get stuck at step 7, not because my phone isn’t found like it is anticipated there, but simply because after having written sh flash-for-unix.sh in the terminal it says “Validation complete.” And that’s it. Nothing happens.

Hum. Sorry. Apparently I was just not in root terminal. Thanks! It worked! Thanks man

Glad you could work it out :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi again. I hope I don’t ask for too much of your time. But when I follow the steps in the ubports.com Linux tuto, it still get stuck in the install process. My phone gets recognised by ubports-installer then I start the process of installing normally (no data wiping) but then it says it’s getting installed, my phone reboots and then it stays like that.

Any idea of the reason? What should I check? My system is up to date

Hello !
I can try to help you, don’t worry :slight_smile:

• do you have adb installed ? Is your device listed when typing “adb devices” in a terminal?
  • could you try launching the ubports-installer in a terminal, so you have all the details listed, a.o. to check if it was able to flash the recovery file, etc…
2 Likes

I had to start the installer on linux with sudo from the terminal. After that it worked.

3 Likes

I just updated the initial post to extend the known problems, now separated by (major) version: no flash in 15.04 and no virtual keyboard in 16.04

1 Like