Fairphone 2 Ubuntu Touch

Hello everyone,

first of all thank you very much for the great work you have done.

I’m planning to flash ubuntu on my FP2 this weekend but I wanted to ask: is the data working in 4G?
Moreover I saw on ubports that the GPS is not working and I was wondering if there are plans to make it available in the future.

Thanks

1 Like

Hy together,
sounds great to have ubuntu touch on the fairphone, but my installation failed.
I got ubuntu running, what I see running top. but exept “Fairphone powerde by andoid” nothing else running on the screen.
What has been my mistake?

1 Like

Hi,

added my share to the bounty. Let’s see. I am basically booked out all the time to do some real implementations. Thus I share my hard earned dough :smiley:

Greetings.

1 Like

Hi bastos!
It’s difficult for me to spot the mistake, but i did succeed once the installation when following all the points at the beginning of this guide. Perhaps you can start again step by step with paying attention of not misspelling any command-line? Did you had the new recovery screen at step 6 ?

I intend to test again with the new version when I have some “geek” free time, when it’s the case I’ll let you know if this procedure is still working :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you #oli.sax for your reply. Until now I did not follow the steps in this thread.
What I have done is following https://devices.ubports.com/#/FP2 but it has not been successfull at all, so I tried different “google search options” and succeeded to have a ubuntu to login and to run top.

I will try asap the steps in this thread, when “I have some “geek” free time” too :slight_smile:.

1 Like

Indeed the procedure on the main ubport website is generic and is not working for FP2 due to some limitations…
The working FP2 procedure is the one described on this topic, and is also available as a PDF illustrated tutorial written by Audio Dandy, Jan, Ivan (Noviski), Tiago Carrondo & Fuchur777. Thanks to them ! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I got my phone working :slight_smile:
With the Magic-Device-Tool: https://github.com/MariusQuabeck/magic-device-tool
The channel has to be “devel_rc-proposed” otherwise there is no screen.
Much thanks to the guys on the Telegram group “Fairphone 2 + Ubuntu Touch”

5 Likes

Nice tool ! Did you tried to call someone within UbuntuTouch ?

1 Like

Yes. Works smooth calling and getting calls. Once I had an echo problem but only with one peer.

3 Likes

Hi pat !
I don’t know about version 14, but I know that from version 9 to version 10 the GUI was broken, as it is stated in post 1 of this topic :

What I advise you is to try one of the two working methods:

Best regards,
Olivier

1 Like

Hi oli, thank you.

I just saw the PDF tutorial and deleted my post after this.

I think there are some problems regarding the fact that version 14 is not available:

1. my SIM card wasn’t recognized by UT and i didn’t get asked for my PIN. will this problem be solved after setting the provider data manually?

2. CalDAV and CardDAV does not work with UT 9 or UT 10, is it right? I just saw the shell script for sync with ownCloud, but i need both for SOGo. Does someone know a solution for this issue?

3. I recognized that that 4G isn’t available, but probably it depends on the fact that SIM isn’t recognized

If it is possible to solve these three issues, i would definitely use UT on my phone and support the developement as effectively as possible

1 Like

Hi pat!

The versions you are mentioning, for my understanding, are from the stable channel. If you want fully working device you should install via the rc-proposed or devel_rc-proposed channel, one way to do so is using the Magic device tool already mentioned some posts above.

I’m using version 251 from the rc-proposed channel and right now I can assure you that both the sim cards are automatically recognized and 4G is working. For what concern CalDAV and CardDAV I don’t know. In case you could consider to join the telegram chat Fairphone 2 + Ubuntu touch (link above) people are very welcoming and they helped me a lot.

Best

2 Likes

Thank you, aronne. I’ll give it a try now

1 Like

hi people. i’d like to ask those of you who have deeper insight into the technical aspects regarding the move from click to snap. as far as i have understood, the fp2 will not be capable of running snap packages, right? in the light of reading that the email client dekko will no longer be developed (while still getting bug fixes) for click but only for snap i wonder, if using ubuntu on fp2 has to be considered as something which would be called “riding a dead horse” in german. meaning: if i would be using ubuntu on my fp2, is there any chance i can run decent software in two years? will the community try to make snap work or will we be stuck with outdated os and software? background: i’d like to have an os which i can use steadily for several years and not to have to switch every second year. right now i am running sailfish os which works quite well, but as we all know, jolla’s future is constantly uncertain. this doesn’t mean i have deeper insights, at the moment they seem to do very well. ubuntu seems nice, too, but as written above, i would want to run an os with abright future.
so, can anyone of you enlighten me and explain what the move means for ubuntu’s future on fp2?

cheers!

3 Likes

Exactly my problem. Seems to work with SoGO like Owncloud: Look here, but I have not tested yet

1 Like
8 Likes

Hi Juri, I’m don’t have a deeper insight into the tech’ aspect of that move, but on that page from OMG!Ubuntu, they say that it will require an newer version of the Android kernel. So, maybe Android 6, which should be available this year for Fairphone (Android 6.0 Marshmallow / 7 Nougat for FP2?).

That said, I’m absolutely not sure of what I’m saying… Where did you read that the snappy version of Ubuntu Touch won’t work for Fairphone 2 ?

Cheers !

1 Like

Syncing SOGo with the standard calender and contacts works with this script https://gist.github.com/tcarrondo but to get rid of the main error one has to add one line:

export DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS=$(ps -u phablet e | grep -Eo ‘dbus-daemon.*address=unix:abstract=/tmp/dbus-[A-Za-z0-9]{10}’ | tail -c35)

Than it works like a charm :slight_smile:

1 Like

I think it’s not only the Kernel, but also the CPU. The Fairphone only has a 32-bit Processor and Canonical wants to focus on 64bit ARM to push Convergence.

2 Likes

Ah, that’s sad… We’re left on the side of the road, then.

2 Likes