Fairphone 2 Ubuntu Touch

Yes, too bad, but no really a big surprise. The whole mobile market is just horrible; and too few people really care. Almost no open hardware, hardly any space besides iOS and Android… :expressionless:

3 Likes

The UBports team said they will keep the project alive : https://fossbytes.com/unity-8-ubuntu-touch-ubports/. This is what I love with community projects and free softwares :slight_smile:

I hope they will manage such an effort…

9 Likes

We had a little UBports community Q&A session yesterday, hopefully that will answer some questions.
Video: https://youtu.be/MVEm4X2ptEk
Text: https://blog.ubports.com/2017/04/08/ubports-community-q-a.html

Long story short: We will continue Ubuntu Touch!

10 Likes

Have my FF2 in use with UT since yesterday. IT WORKS!!! Thanx for the great work to the UBports Team. Please go on.

2 Likes

A lot of work is happening behind the scenes right now. The teams are working on replacing or taking over all the infrastructure to prepare all devices for the end of canonicals support in two months. We are also changing parts of the OS to make it suitable for a brighter future. See our latest community Q&A for details on what will change: https://blog.ubports.com/2017/04/15/community-qa.html

6 Likes

No groundbreaking release yet, but some interesting groundwork happening right now. We’re developing on Halium, a common base for Ubuntu Touch, Plasma Mobile and Sailfish OS that will allow us to collaborate on hardware enablement with them (we might even finally squash the last bugs in the Fairphone port with this!) Read or hear about this and some other interesting topics in the latest Q&A: https://blog.ubports.com/2017/04/29/community-qa.html

5 Likes

My personal user Experience with Ubuntu Touch as daily driver

Since three weeks now I use the UBports ubuntu touch as daily OS on my Fairphone 2. It is stable, the battery survives with more than normal use over one day and I can do everything I want do do. From normal phone use (phoning, SMS, calendar, camera etc) up to reliable navigation with uNav, SMTP or IMAP eMailing and messaging with telegram everything works reliable. Even my calendar and contact with about 1000 contacts and schedules are synced and OwnCloud works for nearly everybody

It runs fluently and imo faster and smoother than the FP OSOS I used before. For me it is an much more secure and future orientated OS as Android even FP OSOS. The UBports team has choosen the FP2 as core device which means, that we will get regular updates and upgrades in the future.

Over 1500 devices have been installed UBports ubuntu touch today including 138 Fairphone 2 installations.

Switching to ubuntu touch is really easy with the magic device tool. So let us switch to ubuntu touch to get the FP2 major share of installed devices!!!

7 Likes

Hi,
Thanks for sharing your user experience! Looks promising!
I was hoping to have some spare time in the summer to test Ubuntu, Sailfish and Lineage. The problem with Ubuntu is that I don’t have a computer with ubuntu. And even the Magic device Tool needs Ubuntu.
Does someone know a way to flash Ubuntu with a mac?

Hey, the my problem with Ubuntu Touch is that it won’t get any Updates. The UBPorts guys are working on an unofficial version but there are a few difficulties.
I would recommend you to try Sailfish, it is really fantastic, and yes, UT was great, too!

Updates are coming regularly for UBports ubuntu touch because the Fairphone 2 is one of the few core devices. That is also the reason why there will be upgrades to the current ubuntu 16.04 LTS as soon as possible.
This is due to the Halium project which afaik also the Sailfish OS will be based on

Just found that there is furthermore a cross platform tool for switching to ubuntu touch from Windows Linus and Apple

1 Like

Thanks for the link, that’s something new! I will definitely give it a try!

Hi Chrissie,
I have a suggestion but I’m not totally sure it will work. Firstly, the Terminal program on Mac seems to be based on the Linux version, so you could follow command-line instructions. Secondly, you could also create a bootable Ubuntu USB, boot into it with your Mac, and just use the trial version of Ubuntu to run the tool. It doesn’t install Ubuntu to the computer, just runs it from the USB.

Good luck this Summer!

Hello !
Some good news from UBPort blog:

Stable OTA-1 is shipping! (except the Nexus 4)

The UBports project is proud to announce Stable OTA-1 for all of our officially supported devices.

This was the most exciting news for us. OTA-1 is the culmination of our efforts over the past two months. It brings many bug fixes and enhancements to the platform, including:

• Experimental AGPS support
  • The UBports Welcome app
  • The amazing OpenStore
  • Terminal and File Browser are preinstalled (It’s the little things!)

As well as bug fixes for the UBports ported devices. You can see a list of bugs targeted and closed for this release here.

I’m really excited by the fact that the UbuntuTouch development is continuing despite the canonical drop, now thanks to Patreon crowdfunding, Marius Gripsgard began working full time for UBPorts!:smiley:

As soon as I tried this first OTA, I’ll let you know my feedback ;-). I’m also excited for the two project currently in development :

• Halium: a common base for all Linux-based OS, allowing new developments to be less hardware-dependant…
  • Anbox: “Android in a box”, to allow applications developed for Android to run on GNU/Linux distributions.
9 Likes

I just installed the OTA-1 version of UBPorts’s Ubuntu Touch, and it runs flawlessly, with a little orange robot as the new mascot :slight_smile: .

According to the Telegram “super-group”, it was not possible to upgrade from a former version, so instead I used the magic-device-tool for a fresh install. The only difference was in the channel selection screen, instead of devel_rc-proposed (which doesn’t exist anymore), the (now only possible) channel to select is legacy.

2 Likes

Good to hear, I am migrating this weekend finally :smiley:

1 Like

Once installed and running, UbuntuTouch was not recognised by my computer (*)
In order to fix that, here are the steps:

• Enable developer mode (About this phone > Developer mode > Activate)
  • On the computer, add the following line in terminal: echo 0x2ae5 > ~/.android/adb_usb.ini (thanks to @NeoTheThird)
  • Then reboot the adb daemon ( sudo adb kill-server / sudo adb start-server)

adb devices gives now:
List of devices attached
0123456789ABCDEF device

(*) Actually, adb recognise the device in recovery, and fastboot recognise the device in bootloader :blush: But before the manipulation, no detection within UbuntuTouch system…

EDIT: I found out that this information is already described in the UBPort wiki :slight_smile:

1 Like

Can you already install Anbox ?

As far as I know, Anbox doesn’t work at all on Ubuntu Touch yet.

From their website :

If your system doesn’t support snaps, then we currently don’t have an easy way for you to install Anbox. However, this might change in the near future.

And snaps are available on Ubuntu 16.04 LTS or later; UBports Ubuntu Touch is currently running 15.04…

A funny thing: it seems that TWRP doesn’t recognize Ubuntu Touch as an operating system… Each time I reload my UT image with TWRP, when I reboot I get the following warning: No OS Installed! Are you sure you wish to reboot? This is not really annoying as this is only a warning and can be skipped easily… @z3ntu, are you aware of that?

I was able to get back my configuration of Dekko (mail client) from a former Ubuntu Touch image :slight_smile: .
The files of this application are in those directories: ~/.config/dekko.dekkoproject and ~/.local/share/dekko.dekkoproject; but I found out that all the settings I need are in one file: .config/dekko.dekkoproject/ dekko.dekkoproject.conf.

• To backup the settings: adb pull /home/phablet/.config/dekko.dekkoproject/dekko.dekkoproject.conf
  • To reload the settings: adb push dekko.dekkoproject.conf /home/phablet/.config/dekko.dekkoproject/dekko.dekkoproject.conf