Fairphone 2 production and delivery thread

I just have to let off steam :(((((((((((((((((((((((((((

You said “If you paid for your order in January, phones will begin the
shipping procedure from our distribution center on the 23rd of March,
with a 2-5 day delivery based on your country and carrier.” and now the batch left china 1,5 weeks later and you now do not know anything about the phones after 22nd January :frowning: WHYYYYYYYYYYYYY

Before there was one week for a whole month (“If you paid for your order in February to early March, our
distribution center will begin processing, packing and shipping your
order from the 30th of March onwards, with a 2-5 day delivery based on
your country and carrier.”) and now it seems there is 1 week/week getting delivered.

“begin shipping in 3 weeks”… and next month I guess it will be postponed again… (because I ordered on February 6th). I feel SO disappointed, that I am considering giving up now.
This is a clear management pbl and I would at least have expected a commercial goodwill gesture of some kind.
Could you please indicate me what is the procedure to get my money back and cancel my order?

1 Like

If you can’t cancel the order from your account on the webshop, contact support via this form (or call them via the phone number just above the footer on that page)… Choosing the ‘Order / Cancellation / Shipping’ category should get things moving. Based on other responses here on the forum, I’m guessing support is still quite busy, so e-mail responses can take a while (but should be faster than asking here on the Forum!).
If in doubt, the terms and conditions and the warranty statement that it refers to provide details on what your exact rights are.

thank you very much for your fast answer!
kind regards

Yes you are absolutely right.
On the 19th march, I asked via mail a german shop (memo) for the availability of the fp2.
two days later I’ve got the answer that the thing is in stock and can be immediately ordered and delivered.

It seems the fp-team is in the meantime behaving like the others of this business …

Now I’m thinking about cancel my contract and claim for restitution of money, because I’ve lost the enthusiasm and fun for the gadget (and project). the are playing the same game like all others … possibly fair - but to whom?

!! ordered (and paid!!) on 22 jan. from Austria !!

(and as many others I’m getting no one information and no answers … but: the shops … yes the shops will be adequately supplied). I think we are one more time the fools in this game …

I forgot:
additionally, perhaps as gratification for waiting 2,5 months for a already paid phone, this phone ist now a few euros cheaper as I did pay (525 instead of 538).
thanks again …

Although I absolutely understand your frustration (waiting time is really hard - many of the other users here will confirm this, including me :wink: ) I’ll try to explain just one thing to make things clear: those shops you mentioned (e.g. Memo) do have FP2 on stock as they ordered them during the prefunding phase (meaning between May/June? and September 2014!) and got their deliveries in January or February 2015 - like me and all the other FP2 owners that ordered during the same period. So, all of those early purchasers have been eagerly waiting for at least 3-4 months (or even much longer!) for their phones to arrive.

Of course, you may cancel your order with Fairphone at any time and you’ll get a full refund. No worries about that.

Edit: I meant 2015 instead of 2014 and 2016 instead of 2015… sorry!

1 Like

thanks for your answer - but it’s not only this:
first the missing information - but i think it was already written a lot about the communication structures (if existing ^^).
and second the sequence of a lot of broken promises.
I would expect a serious time of delivery - no matter if in one month or in six … but then it should be delivered. and yes: sometimes things go wrong … but so many … ?

I think there are other mechanismen, other processes, which are now more important as a few singel customers …

whatever … this seems to be the nature of things … smaller things are less inmportant … :frowning:
regards …

Yeah, it has arrived :slight_smile: yesterday it was already delivered, but I was not at home, so collected it today from the PostNL delivery point. Logged in, got updates from Google and FP for the latest firmware. So far so good. Yes it was a long wait, but forgotten now I have it in my hands :wink:

Hi Jopper, just to say, I asked for getting my money back and this (for once) was really easy and fast. Next time I buy a new phone (in a long time I hope!) I’ll go for a fair one…

Hi @jopper,

Sorry to hear your disappointment. I see from your post that you ordered on 22 January - we are now shipping orders from 16 January, so you should be getting your phone soon (within the next week). Thanks for your patience in waiting!

For everyone else, we have updated the blog with the latest production and delivery news.

We are now shipping phones paid on 16 January and onwards.

We will continue to ship phones over the next two weeks to owners who paid for their phones in mid to late January. For owners who paid for their phones in February, we expect to ship out these phones by the end of April. Although we originally expected to ship all March orders in April, the production and delivery quantities are still not at a stage for us to guarantee this delivery planning. We apologize for this and will continue to update the blog with up-to-date information.

We are still making changes in quality control processes to have a constant production output from our manufacturer in China, while keeping a high level of quality. Further improvements are still required to get a high capacity of phones to be produced per week.

We want to provide more certain delivery timelines to Fairphone owners (including those who paid in March), but we cannot yet give long-term estimates on the delivery date until we get to a higher capacity of phones produced each week. We’ll keep working to get more clarity for all of you. Thanks for your patience!

I am completely loosing trust in your estimations and I cannot understand after more than a quarter of experience in production and logistic why it is not possible to estimate two month in advance when ordered devices will be shipped on a week-basis.

This is a really bad performance! To be slower than expected can happen but to not to be able to provide trusted estimations for the short term is fully unacceptable.

Hey @Sascha_Retter,

Sorry to hear you feel so strong about this.

Not being able to make good estimations is part of the story we are in. Production of a modular phone, first of its kind, is extremely difficult. We aren’t like other companies/products because it is pre-ordered. Most products have long lead times between product in warehouse and product to customer. With Fairphone you are able to experience this (sometimes painful) process because we use the actual money you gave us in order to make your Fairphone.

We’re learning a lot from this and will get better over time. But their will never come a day were can predict the future unless we secure a lot of investments that allow us to build up a big pile of stock Fairphones.

I hope this clarifies a bit and you are still willing to support the movement for fairer electronics.

Best
Douwe

4 Likes

Thanks @Douwe!
And please do not loose your courage and vision for fairer electronics based on this frustrated posts in the forum here!
I imagine that a bigger company in the same situation like you (for example lost people in production because of chinese new year) would hire much more people and force them to work hard and spend overtime to finish the production on time.
As I understand Fairphone you don’t do this because you want to be fair to the employees.
So, that means, customers who support Fairphones vision have to suffer with all these challenges as well.

Dosc

3 Likes

To avoid any misunderstanding. The problem for me is not that it takes some time and as I already wrote I completely understand that sometimes the things go slower than originally expected but after more than a quarter year of experience in production and logistics it should be possible to make trustworthy estimations to customers in which week their phone will be shipped 2 month in advance. I don’t understand why it is so hard to calculate this.

You have the amount of orders. You should have the average weekly production rate, the size of batches that is dispatched from the factory and you should know how long it takes from the factory to your logistic center. This information should be totally sufficient to create a trustworthy schedule.

Dear @Sascha_Retter, it is more complicated then that. Especially ‘the average weekly production rate’ varies a lot. The Fairphone 2 is a highly complex machine and the manufacturing process is as well. Together with our constant push for fairer working conditions, as @Dosc rightly points out, we are seeing high fluctuations in weekly produced phones.

Also a quarter of experience is not a lot in a startup phase where nothing is today as it was last week.

Unless we are able to build up stock (which requires huge investments) we will not be able to make very accurate prediction on delivery times.

4 Likes

Thank you for clarification! Maybe you should make the fact of this high fluctuation and the reasons for that more transparent.

That you can’t and won’t build up stock is ok and comprehensible.

Most of the reasons are detailed in this blog:

And our delivery update blog here:

As soon as we have more detailed information, we will share it here on the forum and in the blog.

Hey Juli, is that a fact?
ciao

Hi All,
just to say that the expected timings of delivery now seem quite correct, I paid on 14 January and received it this morning (it’s at home now while I’m at work, so I still have to wait a few hours :P)
Bye! :slight_smile:

1 Like