Fairphone 2 - list of news coverage and specifications

Relatively happy with my 1.1, so I won’t be needing this version (I hope), especially considering the steeper price and android aligned (apparently). I know nothing about smartphone but how does it hold from a performance point of view compared to other models/brands?

Maybe the next one! :slight_smile:

@Amiki I don’t understand your argument. This is a modular phone. But rather than placing the modules on the outside, Fairphone has put it on the inside, making it a viable product to be sold right now. The connectors have been around many years, contrary to the construction used in Google Ara (Phoneblocks). There is still the option of adding features, and the main driver for innovation are improved battery, processing and graphics. When you upgrade say the screen resolution you might as well update all other elements of the phone. Electronics are very intertwined. So it is more about maintaining a phone rather than upgrading it. I know plenty of people using old phones, only ditching them because certain apps are no longer available or they can’t replace the battery or other defected hardware. So Fairphone addresses just that (although software-side might require some additional work I’d have to admit).

3 Likes

@Vinth It would be great to educate people about the software on their phone by having them install it themselves.That is a great opportunity. I asume it has more to do with contractural agreements, the out-of-the-box experience, and the fact that no ports are currently available. Maybe there would be a place for “liberate your fairphone” meetings, where people are helped with installing a different OS. (or you could just order a module with another OS preinstalled, why not)

1 Like

Well, but how modular is a phone? Yes, the parts can be replaced when defective. But they can’t be exchanged for newer hardware. Take my old galaxy nexus as example:
it runs fine, everything works. I only have one concern: the camera. I’d just like to have a better, up-to-date camera.
With a truly modular phone I could plug in a better camera module. I even could upgrade the RAM, which is the only other part where this phone shows it’s age. Yes, I had to change the whole CPU-unit. But still, a new camera and Processor is way better than a new phone.

Plus, my argument was: They didn’t build a phone like Ara/phoneblocks, because that technology isn’t ready for the market yet. That was a response to somebody who would have preferred that.

3 Likes

@apheiner The previous Fairphone was offered with a contract by KPN, so other deals might come into existance again. When you’re in the market for Fairphone 3 with 6G connectivity, you might just resell your Fairphone 2 as it would still be a relevant product in the future. You can update the software to allow then current apps to run, and put in a new battery to make it last for days again. Mucht more valuable than selling a phone with unserviceable hardware and a depricated operating system. So please subtract that resell price from your calculation.

1 Like

@nicorikken I understand why you would recommand to educate people and it’s fairly noble. However, if we only offer one system and make it harder for other alternatives to be installed, people are not going to risk toying with their phone as often it is their primary phone (and maybe their only one).

Considering the price of this phone, I would not agree to have an OS not officially supported and updated, nor would I risk installing a community edition. I still believe that giving users a choice is a means to educate them, and a better one.

1 Like

I’m very disappointed. A phone with 5" is much too big!!
All the other specs are great, but when the fairphone 2 will be 5", i’m out. :frowning:

1 Like

@Amiki Alright, so then we agree on the modularity. That’s why I like the approach for the Fairphone 2, it is sensible modularity. I’m not sure where the dividing line with the camere module is exactly, but it might be upgradable just as easily. It might just take longer to transfer the data thus causing a longer loading-time for you to take another picture. I guess upgrading the RAM would imply upgrading the CPU as well, considering the System on Chip. To me it seems the most relevant upgrades would be: more powerfull battery, better camera, brighter screen, more powerfull speaker, better microphone for voice quality. I’m hoping modules will have some compatibilty across future models, although that would bring an additional burden to the engineering. I’d like to see a cost-breakdown, to get a sense what replacing/upgrading the core module would theoretically imply.

At the very least this modularity allows Fairphone to do reruns of popular modules, even when certain electronics are no longer available and a redesign is required.

I thought it would cost around 350 euros… I guess I was being naive, but as it has already been said, now I am not sure anymore I will buy one… :’(

4 Likes

I’m still not understanding why to build a modular, easily repairable and upgradable phone, with the fact of giving a long-lasting expensive hardware out-of-the-box. If the phone would be good for 5 years, nobody will upgrade it at all (unless it will break and needs to be repaired, but this is another story).

@Vinth Yeah, at the very least you should be able to revert gracefully, without bricking your phone. That’s why I thought of a replacement core module. That might even be a aftermarket service: you get sent a module for review and if you like the other OS you can keep it after payment, otherwise you return it.

Regarding official support, that’s what I like about Ubuntu Touch: the basic low-level port has to work and then Ubuntu supplies the updates for all existing ports automatically. Granted, I’d rather have Fairphone’s collaboration to make sure the port is done properly, having the hardware functioning properly.

I’m undecided. I mean, I’m perfectly happy to keep using my FP1 for a few years yet, but it would be nice to have 4G. So there’s a reason to upgrade.

The price is disappointing… I don’t know how much of a step up that is for you guys in the Eurozone, but at current rates I’d be spending 380 GBP. That’s 80 GBP more than last time, so it’s expensive, but not a complete barrier. I’d put that in the “serious consideration” list :wink:

(and obviously all my considerations here are always going to be slightly swayed by the desire to own and support something with an ethical background)

But I’m interested in this built-in protective case… does that mean there’s a raised “lip” around the edge of the screen? If so, that’s a definite no-no for me.

And regarding the 5-inch screen… does anyone have the full external dimensions of the whole phone? (I can only see the thickness quoted in the specs)

1 Like

To be honest, I think the 5 years are either not honest or naiv. Show me a smartphone, which people who are targeted with this price buy and which lasts 5 years.

I would assume, there is such thing like a milieu of „good-doer“ people in the world, which is in average max. middle class, but to a high percentage also not rich. What they lack of money, they keep up with beeing idealistic.
I assume, they have been the target group for the FP1.

But it looks like with the decision for this strategy (high quality + very high price), Fairphone assumed buying fair technology is trendy like buying organic food - so enough potential non-idealistic customer.

I think, this assumption is wrong. And then a very promising experiment is going to fail.
I’m very sad.

4 Likes

@madmage Do you mean you’d rather have a low-end phone you can upgrade over time to stay current? Or am I missing your point. Having a phone you can repair and maybe do essential upgrades for need-to-have features (mobile payments maybe?) seems to me the essence of the design. Taking a catalog-design would probably have been cheaper, but certainly less repairable. Now if your phone dies you can at least allow others to reuse intact modules, rather than scrapping them as well.

Hi everyone,
I was really looking forward to this annoncement.
Now I’m not quite sure what to think about the FP2.

On one hand many other crowdfunding-things I supported in the last year need the new bluetooth-version and that’s not what FP1 has installed and never will support. So my FP1 should be replaced ASAP and I wanted to support the idea behind the FP.
On the other hand is the new FP2 not on top of the tec-list - as I’m missing NFC (which will surely be a must-have in the upcoming months. e.g. make your payment at the supermarket). And I’m missing such things as wireless charging and a 8MP camera is also something nice, but not on the top.

I don’t know…

• buy a phone that not everybody has, that can be repaired by myself and be happy with a right now almost state of the art mobilephone, which is also fairER than other products?
  • or should I buy a 2nd-hand-phone e.g. from the company with the fruit as a lable… Why? Because my pad from this company is the 2nd version and still works with the newest OS… THAT’s what I call “long lasting”.

Last thought - I’m not into programming and hacking and stuff like that. So I’m more than happy with an OS that is supported by a huge company and many many people around the world (in different forums or on their websites). That’s why I don’t think it’s a good idea to give MOST of the buyers a chance to select the OS - even though the FP2 should be open for installing ANY OS anyone likes.

thanks for reading and EVERY answer is appreciated
(btw. sorry for my english - if there should be any unclear thoughts - my mothertongue is GER)
Roland

4 Likes

@Ro_Land_Pickl I don’t understand why you would be opposed to give users a choice. You mentioned that you were fine with iOS or Android since they are supported by multinational companies. Therefore, if you had a choice to make you would simply choose to install Android on your FP2 and making this choice would not impact your purchase or use of the phone. However, if users may not choose right from the start, then their own experience and use of the phone will be altered.

Thus, I’m wondering why you, or anyone, could oppose the very idea of having to choose as it does not affect your own experience.

1 Like

@RL1, @winnie80 nicorikken,

First, used phones of two years go for market price: not much. Let’s be generous, 75€. Using your separate subscription (180€ / year) + 90€/yr for the phone (5 yr write-off) makes it 270€.
Now personally I don’t believe in phones with a 5-yr relevance, it’s more like 2, tops 3 years. In which case the math gets completely hopeless.
Contracts with subsidy depends on the operator. The KPN has operations in the Netherlands only. Aside from that, the operators also want to make a buck. I doubt they want to change their business model of a new phone every two years…

Objectively, the phone is good value for money, also considering the social vision. But it’s to expensive for an impulse purchase, at least for me. I bought the 1st batch FP 1; that was an impulse buy (need a phone anyway), and I could wait a bit. I planned to pre-order the FP2 (impulse buy), but 525€ is to much

PS. The 2-3 years life time are standard numbers used in the industry. However, there are plenty people buying more than 1 phone per year

3 Likes

Hi Roland,

as they announced, NFC and contactless charging might be added later. But both these technologies are highly disputed. Because of this I am happy that it is my choice to install them later, or not. The MP are not the only quality feature of a camera. 8 MP are more than enough for a decent resolution.

In Germany NFC is not quiet big since Germans like their cash. It will be interesting if it can break through.

Greetings

3 Likes

I think 525€ is step, but a resonable price. Look around in this forums to get an idea what people expect from the devices in regards of software support, longelivity, repairablitly and performance. See all the issues caused by sub-optimal manufacturing of the current device.

Many of you stated that they want to have a phone that is durable and fast so that it is not outlived by the technical developments long before it breaks.

I do not think it is possible to get everything at once: Cheap, Fair, High-Quality Manufacturing and an original design.

I know some people believe that Sony, Apple, Samsung, etc. are just ripping customers off if they look at very cheap handsets and compare that with premium devices. But i do not think that is true. Smartphones are marvellous pieces of engineering. They costly to develop, to produce and to support. I think quality, as well as innovation, comes at a price. I do not say that there arent huge profits by Apple for example, but there is a another reason why a iPhone is more expensive.

525€ is well aligned with current top-smartphones that also are produced in much greater scale and to not come with worker welfare, easy repairability, conflict-free mineral and transparency. The iPhone 6 starts at 700€, the Sony Xperia Z3 around 520€, Samsung Galaxy S6 around 650€.

I am waiting for the cost-breakdown, since this will be very interesting: How much for example could have been saved by opting for a smaller screen?

That said, i too would have preferred a smaller screen and lower price. But i am not sure screen size is a significant factor in price.

6 Likes

I am sorry, but that it completely against the Fairphone philosophy. That is a crucial thing they want to change. And to do that, going for top-quality and higher price seems reasonable.
If i see people using older smartphones, it is surprisingly often an higher-priced device. I know people still using their iPhone 4 and the iPhone 4S.

8 Likes