Fairphone 2 and CyanogenMod / LineageOS

My dream:

• FairphoneOS embraces LineageOS as its base OS
  • FairPhone hires (or contracts, depending on how LineageOS ends up organising/incorporating) core LineageOS developers
  • LineageOS gets a flagship device, the FairPhone 2

:rainbow:

7 Likes

Fixing the buildserver with the new LineageOS repo with the help of this article:

Also edited the wiki page with the repo url and dependencies. Will report build outcome later :slight_smile:

4 Likes

The port of the repo resulted in a lot of duplicates. I am going follow the new and improved wiki page from scrach.

Hello everybody,
I tried to compile the community version of Cyanogenmod/LineageOS, but unfortunately it always stopped with the error “no rule to make Target out/target/common/obj/JAVA_LIBRARIES/org.codeaurora.Performance_intermediates/classes.jar”. I used the proposed local manifest of this thread but I think something is missing in this manifest. Can anybody of you who managed to compile it share his manifest with me and the others?
sebastku

Mine built successfully following the page you’ve linked. See results here:
https://fpbuild.joutubes.nl/jenkins/

Now I tried it several times on different machines and always got the same result. Did you use a codetree where another Cyanogenmod was built? I really can’t explain where the jar files come from. I found a line in device/fairphone/fp2/device.mk which actually tries to includes this jar:

PRODUCT_BOOT_JARS +=
org.codeaurora.Performance

Later this Makefile tries to include tcmiface (I was not able to find out where org.codeaurora.Performance comes from and uncommented it for testing purposes) which is definitely part of qcom opensource e.g. LineageOS/android_vendor_qcom_opensource_dpm which would not be included by the manifest of the thread.

Can enybody else reproduce this error?

Hey, @sebastku, thanks for your interest and active involvement.

Please, refer to the Matrix room or the Telegram chat (more active) for build errors. That particular error is common (and was my fault, :disappointed_relieved:, derived from a line-by-line rewrite of the FP Open device config) and the solution is to remove the Performance line, as you observed.

Also, android_vendor_qcom_opensource_dpm repo doesn’t have a cm-12.1 branch, but I think I tried once to build with cm-13 and it passed. I’m not sure, though, I started to work on another porting approach long ago and used a different device config.

I also think, Fairphone should make Lineage the official OS. I like the Fairphone 2 Hardware
very much, but the software is a disaster at its current state. The list of feature requests and
bugs is growing. I think, most of these won’t be fixed in the near future. And most of them was
implemented in CM. There are many very annoying bugs, and the workaround to install
Xposed to fix the UI issues isn’t a solution for everyone.
I read about the problems that the company has. But they should concentrate on the hardware
and let the community take care about the software.
In this state, that customers have to wait for months for spare parts or the device itself, the
company will not survive the next year. This would be a sad thing, as the principle of FP is great.
Please Fairphone: Don’t waste so much power with the software! Give us great and fair
hardware! Not every customer is as patient as we are!

6 Likes

I also think, Fairphone should make Lineage the official OS.

I am not sure that is smart move at this stage. My understanding from this thread is that this is currently very much a work in progress. Rolling out Lineage OS on 100.000 phones in a robust manner is no easy task.

I like the Fairphone 2 Hardware very much, but the software is a disaster at its current state.

Very happy here with the software. Yes, there are many things about Android I don’t like, but Fairphone is not developing Android, it is making a phone as you indicated yourself. Since the Android ecosystem is such a mess this requires active involvement of Fairphone, otherwise there wouldn’t be any user friendly OS being able to run on the device in the first place.

I read about the problems that the company has. But they should concentrate on the hardware and let the community take care about the software.

I think it is absolutely vital that the OS running on the Fairphone is supported by dedicated, professional and paid developers. You can simply not rely on volunteers for this. I would even argue that wouldn’t be “fair” either!

Please Fairphone: Don’t waste so much power with the software! Give us great and fair hardware! Not every customer is as patient as we are!

I think Fairphone is doing great (but yes some things should be done better), and I appreciate very much the efforts that are being done on the software department. For me the fact that I can choose to install Fairphone OS (without Google and with a focus on only open source components except for the drivers) or stock Android + Fairphone goodies is absolutely a killer feature. It is exactly this approach that greatly facilitates the LineageOS porting.

Most users don’t even care about what OS is running on their phone, they just want something that works. And making something that just works for a lot of non-technical users is surprisingly challenging!

6 Likes

Well. I"m not a Developer - but a power user. I think Cyanogen Mod is good - but for the Fairphone open, i would better prefer the current AOSP Android build. Many Sailfish parts which depends on the AOSP-Build will be needed to be rewritten (Correct me, Mal-, if i’m wrong).

So better option will be stay on the AOSP but implement some new features in it.
F-Droid, Terminal Emulator, SSH etc. need to be implemented in the Fairphone Open.

1 Like

A fairphone is not, and will never be a device for everybody. Most people don’t care about fair trade and the ethical moves that fairphone goes. Most people want a great device for less money. That is the sad reality. I see FP between an ethical correct and a nerd product. I don’t want to call everything bad, but the huge list of software issues and feature requests seems to be impossible to fix. I am sure, there will be an official lineage port for the fp2. And when it is here, me and most people here will move to it. I did not say, that fp should fire their software developers, they should make changes to the codebase. We all know, what manufacturer mods mean. That is the cause of all the android mess. I had samsung and sony devices before. I always flashed cm, as the stock roms sucked so much.
And people won’t order a device, where they have to wait 5 months to get it, except they want it in any case. They will order a samsung device or similar.
I think, that 100000 fp users aren’t average users.

They might not be average users, but i guess the majority still is a “consumer”, just using Android. Just have a look in the help requests… There is vocal group of power users, but i bet it’s a minority.

3 Likes

I have very few problems with my phone so far, but I would say that hardware should be a priority. Some people complain that they had to wait quite a long time for a new display or a bottom module, and I think that Fairphone should try to avoid that (at the same time, I understand how hard it is for them!).
What concerns software, I think that Fairphone should guarantee a working Android OS as most of the users want regular Android. At the same time, they should facilitate things for people who want an alternative. The Fairphone open OS is a good thing for me, as long as it doesn’t take too much time and money. I like my Fairphone with the open OS and I don’t mind some bugs (clock reset; GPS not as operative), but I wouldn’t like to have to wait 3 months for a new display or bottom module.
Other OS could be nice too, but Cyanogen (and I guess it will be the same with Lineage) and Ubuntu, for example, are community based OS, so I don’t think that Fairphone should propose them as official OS. I like the idea of an Android out of the box and a good support for other OS, as well as an easy way to change OS.
So: concentrate on a good Android OS and good hardware, and help community based OS to implement would be the best for me!

2 Likes

I see, I am alone with my opinion.
Let’s wait, what the future will bring…

Actually, i was very much like you. My FP is #4429, and I joined the movement, among other reasons, because i very much expected support for cm from the first minute… Well, I was disappointed, but after all I understood the reasoning. And FP Open OS with admittedly some fiddling (xposed, opengapps) works the way i imagined it

Well, i bought the Fairphone 2 because i searched a newer replacement for my Jolla Device.
For me it doesn’t matter if its AOSP or CM Base - For me its importand that SailfishOS runs good.
As a Computer and Linux geek i also often flash CM on the Android phones of my friends and customers.
Because the stock ROMs sucks. They are bloated with garbage software, slow and sometime impossible to root.
Fairphone Open brings a very good AOSP ROM which is not bloated and which is rooted by default.

Yes, there are lot of software problems, but i doubt, that the CM ROM would be more stabel than Fairphone Open. I think it will be as good as Fairphone Open, when it comes out.

Lot of Problems are Modem Firmware Based - and here we need to use binary blobs. Also CM will use the same binary blobs like Fairphone Open, and bring the same problems.

But that is all speculation. Lets see and compare, when the CM or LineageOS is coming out for the FP.
But i think, it will not coming out…

So dear Fairphone Developers: Please fix the most important bugs like the battery-drain-bug

And if the base is table and good enough - the communtiy will make the other OS avaiabale:
SailfishOS, UbuntuTouch, CianogenMod etc…

5 Likes

You are not alone, I also made that suggestion a few weeks/months ago ;). I like CM features and will only consider buying a FP2, if there is a CM (now LineageOS) port.

I am also more interested in Sailfish OS. But it will take some time to be usable.

It is absolutely usable. I use SailfishOS as only one OS on my FP2 since 6 month

4 Likes

My Second Phone “Samsung Galaxy S2 - i9100” now runs with LineageOS Nougat. Thats so strange the first week the Battery drained in hours and now this phone works in Standby (no SIM) for three whole days, and every thing works.

(a friend of mine had the same strange behaviour with the Battery drain. Seems that Android has to learns to use the Battery)

If Android 7 is possible for this Phone from 2011 it should also be possible for the Fairphone.

Thanks for every developer which works in this case.

2 Likes