Fair but....It has to work!

Hi! I usually use 250€ phone but this time I decieded to spend a LOT of money buying a FP2. I opened the box and…camera didnt work. The shop changed the FP. Nice! But…my screen is always banding, it becomes dark and every time I take the FP in my hands it has a lot of strange light effects like in a disco… So tell me: is this phone FAIR only for miners or for users too? Sorry but I am a Little bit disappointed…

1 Like

Hey! Sorry for your troubles. Usually the phone works without any bigger issues. But with everything you can happen to receive a “Monday Device”. Your best solution would be to either go to your merchant directly and file for warranty OR open a support ticket on the Fairphone Support Site, explaining the problems you have and usually you will get a replacement part under warranty, free of charge. Also, if you don’t get a fast reply to you support ticket you can simply call the Fairphone service and from my own experiences that quickly resolved my issues.

Another thing you could look take a glance at is if there is a Fairphone Heaven / Community Meetings in your area. People there can help you out with some problems also.

Here’s a quick link to the support: https://support.fairphone.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

Greetings, Danny

2 Likes

Thank you! I Will tell you…

An in depth explanation for handling support issues and the contact numbers can be found in the wiki article #contactsupport.

1 Like

Thank you!I really Hope to solve my problem

Agree that disappointing phone given the price. Seems that so many people have issues. For me it s the camera, and I fear it s just the beginning of a long list… I bought it thinking it would last 5 years… After a few months it is already having serious issues. And now a fairphone 3? What s the point? Does that mean that this fairphone are obsolete after 2 years like any other phone?

1 Like

I hope this phone it’s not only an ideological phone but a usefull and fair work instrument!

Sorry, but where did you get that information?
So far, there is nothing anounced, just a discussion.
And you might consider that a FP3 does not have to be a replacement, but a n alternative to the FP2.
And even if the FP3 should replace the FP3, this would not make the FP2 obsolete, as long as parts are available and support is provided. And that is to be expected, as the FP2 is an in-house development.

As to the issues with the FP2.
1st: A forum like this one happens to be a meeting point for people with issues, as the ones where the phone is working flawless regularely feel no need to look for help.
2nd: As Fairphone is a small company, they lack the means to establish the same kind of quality control as the global players. While Apple, Samsung, Huawei and the likes put whole batches of display etc. to the bin for quality issues, such issues might not be noticed with modules for FP. This way quality issues end up at the customer. While it is really “inconvenient” and annoying, on the other hand it reduces waste, if not the whole batch is faulty.

What I really would wish for, is Fairphone to make up for such quality issues with better support. But that’s where the issue of limited ressource is taking effect again.

6 Likes

I contacted the assistance and they told me I need patience… But in June I’ll fly in humanitarian mission and I need to be sure that my phone will not abandon me in the forest… So I Will go to my merchant (Mediaworld) and I will change again my FP2. I’ll reinstall apps, phone numbers… I’ll spend time and time for a phone. Well! I believe in FP project so I’ll give them a third (and last) chance. Then I will switch back to Huawei…

1 Like

Hi @Pedru,
Sorry to hear you have had two phones with problems; I understand it must be frustrating. I have an FP2 and, luckily, have had no problems so far - so please have faith in Fairphone. I would return to Mediaworld and explain your situation. If you have time do not leave the shop until you are happy with the phone; take a photo, check the screen etc. Good luck,

2 Likes

Hi @Pedru,
From my personal experience – get a backup phone.

I bought my FP2 3 years ago, one of the 17,000 and was very proud of it. Had some issues from the start but could work around them and this forum helped fixing some. Until last week, I had to guide a group through a 3 days trip in the desert and my FP2 decided to play up on the way there. It kept restarting and looping, only solution was to put it on charge for few minutes then it’d start normally but only to find it off 20 minutes later.
So, I spent 3 days stressing about my phone as I really needed it for GPS and logistics, it was not fun! First thing I did when I was back in the city was to buy a new phone (I live in Jordan, can’t really say there’s much to do about a faulty FP2 here). And it’s really with regret that I can now say I left the FP movement, I loved the concept and was willing to go through some inconvenience to have a FP2 (the random restarts have been going on for months, short battery life, weak proximity sensor feature,… but could deal with it so far).

A phone has to be reliable, and it wasn’t - as much as I hate to say it. This is my personal experience. My FP2 is on a shelf right now, hoping one day I can re-use it….
I hope you have a better experience….

Heba

2 Likes

Hi!I agree with you in every single word. I ask why, why they began this adventure unprepared? I fill myself “used” to finance FP dream. It would be FAIRer asking me just some money for the “FP charity”. I am so sad for this situation.

1 Like

Nope. Running for two years three months staight. Had to change some parts, but nothing that indicates obsolescence.

2 Likes

Definitely get a back up phone (for half the price you paid for FP2 and twice as reliable). Don’t wait for help from Fairphone Support as it is extremely slow to access. Agree with Pedru’s initial question: ‘Is this phone fair only for miners or for users too?’

I was a great believer in the project at the outset and throughout my FP1 use but support has deteriorated badly in last year and my FP2 was unusable because of terrible battery life. Have written about experience elsewhere on this forum. It is truly liberating to use a reliable smartphone. Unless I am confident that Fairphone starts to care about its users I cannot go back to using one, however much I support their principles.

1 Like

Dear all,

Our company has 14 Fairphone 2 phones in use. Some phones have had some serious issues. Mainly with bad screens (touch problems). Also with hanging and rebooting phones. Almost all problems are solved now by getting 3 screens replaced ans one complete phone (motherboard issues) replaced. The problems now are annoying but not show stopping. Things like: the batteries are empty quickly, the touchscreen is functional during phone calls (touching unwanted options with the ear during the call), the phone is a bit slow, etc. We still are 100% behind our support for Fairphone. The point is: building a phone is very, very, very complex. Especially when you want it to be modular, repaireble, fair and in relatively small numbers. If you really need a high performance, 110% functional phone, maybe this phone is not for you. Better buy the high end phones from competitors. If you moderately depend on your phone, and it is acceptable to fail some times, than the FP2 is your friend. With the FP2 movement competing against the big boys of the world, we stand for change, democrazy, people, planet, etc. Supporting a change asks for patience and long term goals. So please accept some hurdles. And stay faithfull. Please watch the FP2 documentary where the company gives insights in how difficult this complete project and dream is. Great respect for Bas van Abel and his complete team. Danny

19 Likes

Sorry dannydv but I am in total disagreement with you.FP Boys are very good boys but they would be much much more fair with their customers.I didnt pay them with false euro.They gave me a false phone!I am not “phone dipendent” and is not your affaire to judge my phone use. I need phone for my life and job too. I believe in “democracy, change and Planet” just as you. Even if I wouldn’t ever buy a FP.I cant use FP because they sell bad working phones!

2 Likes

Nobody gave you a false phone. They might have given you a defunct phone. That happens. That’s why there is support.

I moved this topic to #community as you are clearly not here to seek for help, but just to rant.
It’s okay to be angry and let off steam, but if you are not here for anything constructive then we’ll remove you from this forum.

2 Likes

Very quickly unswer. Sorry for my post. Remove it and Danny’s too please.
Please tell me how could I have back my money because for me it’s a lot. I really believe in FP dream but I need a more efficient phone.
Please tell me if does exist a sort of “Black list” about surely-unfair phone s.

1 Like

Since this is a community forum, everyone (including moderators) is just a FP-user just like you (used to be). So, nobody here can speak for the FP company.
You will have to contact them through support to get an official answer to that question.

1 Like

Dear Pedru, I am sorry if I gave you an idea that I am judging you. I only tried to give my experience and view on Fairphone. We have 14 working phones now. They are in use for almost 2 years now on a daily base. They have minor issues. So you must have had a bad FP2 and should ask for replacement parts of phone. Goodluck. Danny

2 Likes