I really wanted to love my Fairphone but it’s very hard. In fact, I was spreading the word on it but since I have it and have to struggle with using it, I don’t try to persuade people anymore. Problems persist even after I tried a full reboot, in terms of OS software everything is up to date, but it’s just completely unreliable.
The only thing the reboot solved is getting back google services (most importantly, play), but the phone still:
- Freezes and shots down unexpectedly
- The 3G and wifi are unreliable, regardless of the fact that on other devices they work fine (so it’s not the matter of coverage), and that they drain the battery as if they were working. There is a fully working wifi and 3G coverage and it’s absolutely random when I can access the web and when I cannot.
- Frequently, it just doesn’t feel the taps on the screen
- Frequently, the keyboard just doesn’t come up for typing, or comes up and disappears while typing
- Sometimes the phone would ring but the red (reject) and green (pick up) options on the sides just don’t come up, nor does swiping in the usual directions work, so I can’t pick it up (only wait until it stops ringing or reject the call with the top power button)
- Frequently the apps just disappear from the screen, and I only see the background, so I have to get it to sleep and re-awaken it several times or wait minutes for the apps to appear again
- It forgets contacts (I only see the numbers in call history and messages, but not the names) and then again remembers some of them randomly
- Several frequently used apps (e.g. Facebook, Firefox) frequently don’t respond and have to quit
Generally, I never know when and which services I can use properly on the phone, from apps and wireless connections to the most basic phone and text functions.
Can anyone explain to me why is all this and how can it be resolved? Honestly, I feel cheated. It is an expensive phone, which is fine given the fair production, but shouldn’t it, well, also work?
It can’t be only the fault of android - I have friends who own phones with an androidOS and although they have some problems sometimes, they don’t have all these issues.
I wanted to have a fair phone, but if the cost of that is not having a properly functioning phone, I don’t see how it makes sense.
I was also wondering if these are a common issues for FP1 users, or if it’s only my phone.