šŸ‡³šŸ‡æ Experiences in New Zealand

No personal experience, but expect the same difficulties as that present themselves when purchasing the phone - if not more. For warranty issues, youā€™ll need to use a proxy in Europe - from the terms and conditions of sale:

5.2 The Products that we currently offer will only be delivered within the European continent and warranty related assistance can only be granted if requested from one of the following European continental countries: Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Holy See (Vatican City State), Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Monaco, The Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, San Marino, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, UK.

In effect, youā€™ll need to arrange (and pay for) shipping of parts and/or returns between Europe and NZ (and vice versa) yourself. For warranty claims youā€™ll need someone in Europe to forward your device (though shipping between them and Fairphone should be covered).

I have used both the FP1 and FP2 in NZ with no problems at all over the last few years - for someone who lives with a foot in both places, it is very handy to have the dual SIM. I did recently have to replace a module - which was only possible because a friend in the UK could accept the delivery and send it on. They are small so the postage costs are not enormous. Perhaps would be a bigger issue if the whole phone needed to be replaced for some reason. So much interest in the Fairphone in NZ - so maybe wonā€™t be too long before itā€™s possible for Kiwis to well and truly join the FP communityā€¦

2 Likes

@htravelling Whatā€™s your network?

Iā€™m on 2degrees :grinning:

Hi,

Look i have just bought one and i have returned it because i have sound issues, the bluetooth does not work in my car or my other devices like ear piece. when i put it on hands free people canā€™t hear me properly. and I went to a concert, took some videos, and they are unwatchable. So am totally disappointed for now. I have returned it for repair, so will give it a second chance because i like the concept, but frankly, I donā€™t have high hopes. it is a pitty.
Hope that helps.

2Degrees is working good on a Fairphone 1 as on a Fairphone 2.
In Auckland I can recommend the shop at the side of the City Theatre.
Matthew can say now that he has experience in setting up 2Degrees on a Fairphone. He is really great in helping you.
On your Fairphone the data clock of 2Degrees gives you a very good offer for data when wifi isnā€™t available.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

hi all from new Zealand i have been looking at getting a .fair phone3 but fond out that
the website dose not have a way for me to ship to new Zealand that that leves me with going on E bay
and it`s not cheep i have seen them go for 1000 nzd on there also t no one have spare parts making it hard to fix down the line wen it needs to if any one knows how to help let me know

Welcome to the Fairphone community.

There are resellers, that ship worldwide, Vireo in Germany for example: www.vireo.de
Shipping cost is about 30ā‚¬. Unfortunately the website is only in German.

2 Likes

Keep in mind that you wonā€™t have a warranty, so if the phone breaks, or even if it arrives broken, youā€™re on your own unless you have a contact in Europe under whose name the phone was bought, so you can ship it back to them and they can make use of the warranty and then ship it back to New Zealand, a round trip that would use up about a trillion litres of kerosine. Shipping modules (usually through drop shipping) is also quite expensive on its own.

None of which may be a problem for you, but itā€™s good to be prepared for it. There have been several non-Europeans on this forum who acquired Fairphones only to finally become so frustrated with drop shipping and the lack of warranty that they ended up switching back to a normal phone.

3 Likes

Why is there a German reseller if Fairphone itself ships to Germany?

Why not? There are several resellers, phone companies etc. selling Fairphones.

5 Likes

Vireo is a reseller for anything that it certifies as ā€˜greenā€™, so it makes sense to also sell Fairphones, I guess, even though you can get them elsewhere. In the halcyon FP2 days it was also the only place you could get a core module - I think they just bought entire FP2s and pieced them out.

3 Likes

Makes sense :+1: Maybe I am just a person that likes to buy stuff from the original seller

1 Like

Has anyone successfully used a Fairphone in NZ? I would like to hear peoplesā€™ experiences about how easy it is to get support to keep the phone updated and whether itā€™s hard to source new parts. I know they donā€™t ship to NZ so one needs a proxy in the U.K. or Europe to receive the phone or any parts.

1 Like

As the last report is a lot more up to date

as i live here in new zealand is there a website that sells to new zealand

Hi and welcome to the community, I moved your post here and you might also have a look at the Australian topic

There are a few reseller shipping worldwide, I think most used are clove UK and Vireo Germany

2 Likes

In the list on the resellers page (Link in previous post) you will see a company called Clove, a UK based one.

You can then search the forum using the word ā€˜Cloveā€™ to see peopleā€™s experiences.