Everything seems to be going wrong with my Fairphone 5

Okay, so everything that can go wrong with my FP5 seems to be going wrong and I don’t know what to do. I’m in contact with support but so far they’ve not been super helpful.

PROBLEMS
Fingerprint scanner has stopped working completely - “Intraset test failed: erorrcode = 6”
Phone mic keeps cutting out (call mic, not speakerphone) - takes a couple of minutes before it happens and is not flagged up as an error during troubleshooting
Phone randomly hangs up during calls
Keyboard often goes away and is hard to get back
Phone gets so hot when navigating (out of case) that it switches off
Camera doesn’t always save photos after I take them

WHAT I’VE DONE
Updated all apps
Updated to latest OS
Changed SIM card

I know factory reset is probably next but I have a feeling that’s not going to fix the issue with the fingerprint reader and I’m wondering if anyone else’s phone has just gone so disastrously wrong?

1 Like

Hi and welcome to the community and its forum.

Maybe we could start with a few basic items:

• Could you indicate your OS version. Go to
    Settings > About phone > Build number
    That should be FP5.TT4F.A.160.20240508 if you’re on the latest.
  • Are you using a SD card in the phone? This can cause problems if you’re saving photos to the card.
  • What app are you using for navigation?

As for a reset, yes unfortunately you may be right, but you would have to do that anyway if the phone has to be sent back. So the first thing to do is to make sure you have proper backups of your files and other data, especially contacts and messages.

I’ve seen at least three other cases of fingerprint sensor not working recently. Have a look.

2 Likes

Thanks for answering.

I seem to not be on the latest, will try and update.

I’ve not got an SD card in.

I use duckduckgo as a browser, the regular Fairphone setup for the rest?

I’ll give resetting a try, everything is backed up, it’s just that they suggested resetting it and then not putting anything on it for a few days which struck me as a bit weird.

I did look at the other fingerprint sensor issues topics but didn’t find anything helpful unfortunately.

You’ll find some explanation in the Fairphone page about reset:

I forgot to mention that these problems may indicate an issue with the touchscreen.

All these problems may indicate a fairly low-level hardware issue that’s going to require the phone to be sent back. But it might be some app, so give the reset a try, including not adding apps for a few days afterwards.
Navigation is a heavy task so phones mostly run a bit hot when you’re using it continuously for long periods.

1 Like

I did eventually factory reset (online banking apps were being a bit of a nightmare) and the ability to input fingerprints has fully disappeared so I think it’ll need to go back.

1 Like

I have a Fairphone 5 for about a month now, after upgrading from my Fairphone 3.
And in that time I had absolute zero problems a all, the phone is such a pleasure to use.
Sounds like you need to get in contact with the Fairphone support team, so they can fix your problems with your new phone :slightly_smiling_face::crossed_fingers:: support.fairphone.com

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.