/e/ OS installation: Which version is correct?

Hi everyone,

after spending at the PC for several hours trying to install /e/ OS on my FP3+ and reading different threads in the forum I decided to sign in here myself and start a new question.

I bought a FP 3+ second hand with pre-installed Android 11.

They say on https://doc.e.foundation/devices/FP3/install

Caution: Do not install /e/OS on top of a higher version of stock OS. Before installing /e/OS ensure your device has the latest stock OS of the same version as /e/OS. If only lower versions of the stock are available then install the last available lower version before installing /e/OS.

But when choosing a version here I find only Beta-Versions for Android R.

After several struggles as well with the easy-installer as with the step-by-step installation (both broke down or interrupted the process at some point) I wonder if I cose the wrong version by trying “IMG-e-1.2-q-20220728206708-dev-FP3.zip”.

Do I have to downgrade my Android first? Or is there any easier option?

Thanks for any ideas.

Roland

Do you have error messages from when installation broke down (or log from easy-installer)?

1 Like

You might already know, but this is an Android 10 version (the letter Q indicates that).

In your scenario, if you definitely want to switch to /e/ now, go for the Android 11 beta. /e/OS Android 10 has been in beta until just 2-3 months ago, and I have used that beta for months and months before and found it completely usable (even though I was even on the dev-version). I think @Volker has been using the FP2 /e/OS beta for much longer.

2 Likes
  • The easy-installer broke down every time when trying to detect the phone

• the step-by-step installation failed on command

fastboot flash system_a system.img -S 522239K

So your suggestion would be the “IMG-e-1.2-r-20220727206630-dev-FP3.zip”?

Yes, although I will admit I still haven’t upgraded to it myself (I’m using /e/OS Android 10 dev) given I expect an OTA upgrade some time towards the end of the year (hopefully :wink: ).

In doubt, trust @Volker who is our main /e/ expert here.

1 Like

Are you sure that unlocking the bootloader had worked?
Do you have an error message you got after typing in the fastboot command?

EDIT: Rereading about your problems (and that easy installer did not detect device): when you start the fastboot mode of your FP3 and type in fastboot devices do you get a device-ID back? Are you using a USB data cable (is data transfer between your PC and the FP3 possible)?
Are you trying to install from a Windows PC or Linux? It might be a driver problem if device access is not possible.

1 Like

Yes, that’s what I’d install. I’d rather not wait for on OTA upgrade from q to r…

1 Like

I use Windows 10. In the Explorer I find the FP3 as drive.
Yes, bootloader is unlocked.
fastboot devices fails.
!UPDATE: No, sorry it works! Device-ID is transmitted

The Error messages at the installation are different.
a) Sometimes “wating for device” (although I checked USB-Transfer)
b) sometimes reading error
c) sometimes writing error

Strange. Did you try out

• a different USB cable
  • a different USB port
  • a newer fastboot version (is there is any; what’s the version you’re using?)

And it always fails on the first flashing command, right (i.e. system partition; wiping userdata using fastboot -w is still working)?

1 Like

He edited the most recent reply in the meantime. Let’s see, maybe there’s progress by now. :slight_smile:

1 Like

OMG! I think I got it!
I’m afraid I never went back to the fastboot mode after unlocking it i nthe first place. That way I tried to install the new OS while running Android. How embarassing! But now it seems to work out.
Yes, thank you very much.

As you suggested above I habe chosen the Beta version (Andr. R) now

4 Likes

Great, you’ve found the culprit and I hope you’ll enjoy /e/OS!

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.