Does app Android5 will be ok on fairphone OS?

Hello to all,
I’m using a fairphone 1, always ok, but my bank force me to have a smartphone with android5 minimum, to install their app, with secure functions.
It seems not possible to install android 5 on FP1, but if I install Fairphone OS, will it be a solution ?
Thanks for help !

Unfortunately this sentence carries the whole truth: there is just no way to get Android 5 on an FP1.
You can’t install Fairphone OS for the FP2 or FP3 (which are at Android 7 and 10 respectively) on the FP1, if that’s what you meant by “if I install Fairphone OS”.

4 Likes

@Ingo : thanks for your answer.
When I write “if I install Fairphone OS” (on FP1), it is because I never test it and don’t really know what I will can do after?
With Fairphone OS, can I install Android apps ?
And if yes, What versions of Android ?

Fairphone OS is just the name of Fairphone’s own Android OS on their phones. Fairphone OS is Android, at different versions on the different phones.

Fairphone OS on the Fairphone 1 was Android 4.2 when it ended officially.
An early Android 4.4.2 testing version exists, which couldn’t be finalised because of missing support from chip manufacturer MediaTek … FP1: Macadamia 1.9.9-pre3 Alpha (Android Kitkat).
And an unofficial community effort of Android 4.4.4 exists … Android KitKat (4.4.4) for FP1.
Attempts at a usable Android 5 on the Fairphone 1 went nowhere.

So that’s it. If an App starts needing Android 5 minimum, then you can not run it anymore on the Fairphone 1.

You can not install the Fairphone OS for the Fairphone 2 or 3/3+ on the Fairphone 1, this is technically not possible, it doesn’t work that way.

4 Likes

@AnotherElk : Ok, thank you for this precisions !

It seems that my bank has another solution, something like a pocket calculator to generate secure codes. Their initial mail didn’t talk about this, but it seems to be my solution to keep again some months or years my FP1 :slight_smile: !

7 Likes

How many years have you used your FP1 yet? :partying_face:

2 Likes

I bought it in october 2014, so I’ve been using it for 6 years 1/2 !
:clinking_glasses: :sunglasses:

Just a clarification: as I work on computers, I don’t really need to go on internet with my phone, so my FP1 is quite suitable for calling, sms, what’sapp, and taking pictures. Sometimes, I use it for mails, search on web or sat nav, it is slow, but sufficient for me, and good for the planet :wink:

9 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.